samanthafalk
Cin

Extra Circulars at Schools

Cin
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

samanthafalk

Pro

This is something that I strongly agree with.
Cin

Con

I thank my opponent for allowing me to debate this with her. I accept :)
samanthafalk

Pro

samanthafalk forfeited this round.
Cin

Con

The academic portion of school is the priority and must continue to be paid attention to more in schools and colleges than the extra-curriculum. Students should be receiving an education and gaining qualifications that will soon help them progress in their career. Extra-curricular activities distract students from focusing on their academics.

Students should be allowed to focus upon subjects that will help them with their future career. Even professions today still provide a range of career opportunities, without the need to compromise academic education by non-academic activities.

There are concerns that schools do not focus enough on core subjects. In most aspects of life skills specific to an individual job are more important than whether they are "well-rounded".
Coping with both academic and extra-curriculums put a possibility of students dropping out because he or she may not be able to cope with the demands of both.
samanthafalk

Pro

Sports are important to the lives of students. Many of them are also dedicated to clubs.
Cin

Con

My opponent stated that sports are important to the lives of students. But making extra curricular activities mandatory would not benefit the student beause it would take the fun out of such activities. If the students were forced to be there, they would be less enthusiastic about these.
samanthafalk

Pro

Extra Circulars are not mandatory and it would benefit the student.
Cin

Con

Whilst they are not mandatory, they are also not needed.
As I said, the educational system should focus on making doctors, lawyers, business people to add to the world, not the next generation of entertainers. These business jobs are in high demand!
samanthafalk

Pro

Well there could be a business class like what I have at my class. There are classes that do actually benefit students. Sports are important to students. They keep them fit and they care a lot about them.
Cin

Con

Yes, but those are actual classes. At my old middle school, we didn't have sports. We were encouraged to strive towards excellence. To be fit, you don't have to be in e.c activities.

This was a fun debate, you did great :)
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Bad start for pro. But still time to make up for it.
Posted by BasicLogic 2 years ago
BasicLogic
Depends what curriculums. I would stand by programming class, but not "How to drink vodka" class
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
samanthafalkCin
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Pro needs to provide better premises for her argument. She basically just made assertions without providing any evidence to support them. Both sides need to take their time and put a little more effort into their arguments. As it stands pro failed to meet her BOP.
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
samanthafalkCin
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: There was a forfeiture by Pro. Unlike Pro, Con provided real arguments and Pro lacked clarity. In fact, this debate as a whole is pathetic, in my view, but Con obviously did much, much better.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
samanthafalkCin
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: It's unfortunate that there was a forfeited round. I also think that Pro's lack of clarify caused a bit of confusion, so that Con thought at first that the resolution was for *mandatory* exracurricular activities. But when that was clarified, Con still made the point that Pro had not quite supported the motion, so points to Con. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.