McMount
CharlesGrey

Extraterrestials have visited Earth

CharlesGrey has forfeited round #3.

McMount

Pro

The debate which has haunted the halls of debate.org as well as countless other forums. I will argue for the fact that extraterrestials have visited Earth. Con's goal is to prove me wrong. For the sake of the debate I need to clarify some things:

- This argument is about extraterrestials visiting Earth in the past and/or present. It's not about the existence of extraterrestials.
- I, as Pro, carry Burden of Proof.

Round 1 is for acceptance. Good luck to anyone who might take up the challenge.
CharlesGrey

Con

McMount

Pro

Thank you for accepting.

I will base my argument on the following points:

- Happenings that have been confirmed a fact; over 1000 witnesses on a phenomenon
- Accounts from reliable sources
- Critical thinking from philosophical perspectives

As we have 5 rounds, the debates can be kept brief and I will only focus on individual reliable accounts on the first round.
I might just blatantly use Wikipedia articles as links to events I've listed. They explain the phenomenon in brief and hold a neutral tone.

1. Apollo astronaut Donald K. Slayton
Apollo astronaut was testing a P-51 fighter, when he saw something that resembled a weather balloon. However, as soon as he got close to it, it started accelerating at 45 degree angle upwards. Donald was going himself at speed of 300 mph, yet he could not hope to catch up with the UFO.
https://www.youtube.com...

2. Apollo Astronaut Edgar Mitchell account
Basically Apollo 14 astronaut confirms extraterrestials visiting Earth. Guy threw his entire reputation away when coming clear with this. He had fame, being Apollo astronaut and that. What motive would he have to lie and lose all credibility?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

3. Cash-Landrum incident, 1980
What makes this UFO case so intriguing are the physiological effects befallen upon the victims.
- Physiological imprint on car, confirmed by investigators
- Extremely strong physiological effects on the victims; they had to be hospitalized a day after the incident
- Multiple neutral investigators concluded no explanation to the incident whatsoever; it couldn't have been faked because of the physiological effects nor do any known phenomena have such an effect on humans.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Three accounts will do for now. I will present more cases in the next round.
CharlesGrey

Con

Ok essentially my role in this debate is to refute the claims of my opponent as this is more of a debate over the veracity of claims made about alien encounters.

My one argument against this being likely at least in recent history is that there are few examples of serious cover ups working and those that we know about are rarely multinational. There are simply no examples of a global conspiracy to hide so much as a peanut working and so I have my doubts as to if a multinational coalition of governments could suppress findings about the truth of alien contact and prevent any of the private sector companies with the radar equipment that would be presumed to be able to detect any UFOs.

1. This appears to be based off of a single remark mentioned once by Donald K. Slayton, there is no corroboration for it Slayton doesn't even think it was an alien saying "I don"t automatically presume that it came from Alpha Centauri" NASA confirmed that there was a weather balloon in the area at the time.

2. Mitchell has confirmed he has never actually seen an extra terrestrial. He claims that there is a gigantic NASA conspiracy, the problem with this is of course there is only his word to back this up. The thing is that it's not as if NASA doesn't regularly leak. A wikileaks search for "NASA" [1] shows 22,592 results, now not all of them will be directly from NASA but fair amount of them will be. The thing is that not one of these leaked documents prove any of Mitchell's claims, something at would be expected if:
a) Mitchell's conspiracy is true.
b) It's open enough within the organisation for Mitchell to hear of it.

As for the motive, likely narcissism. How many times have you really heard each appollo astronaut, I don't mean the first 3 to land on the moon but all the others? Despite their achievements most are relatively unknown.

3. This is a truly weird one, something happened but we don't know what although there are some much more down to earth things here. All we know is:
a) Their was military helicopter flight that night (as described by the 3 witnesses to whatever happened, other witnesses on the ground and this is accepted by the military).
b) The 3 then turned up with radiation like symptoms.
c) Whatever happened severely traumatized all 3.
d) They then made a court case that was thrown out for lack of evidence.

However there are a number of explanations. For the first the illness couldn't have been radiation as the dose of radiation required to produce those symptoms reported would have been lethal [2]. Furthermore no cocktail of chemicals has been uncovered that would cause said symptoms. The symptoms are therefore likely psychosomatic and therefore not the result of radiation.

As for what actually likely happened these scenarios are all possible, and all much more likely than an alien incursion covered up by the American government:

A mirage, the location in which is happened is close to oil refineries which according to experts could have created a projection in the sky due to the flares given off by the refineries [3]. This in combination with the military helicopters flying around could have lead to the witnesses being traumatized after interpreting the events as something entirely different.

A secret flight gone wrong. There were a number of aircraft being used at the time that could have been being tested or simply secret aircraft being flown, as it was far from any testing areas the most likely candidate is the Black Hawk helicopter that had entered service the previous year [4]. This would explain the flight.

Something to note in all of these is that eye witness testimony is notoriously inaccurate, people remember what they think they saw rather than all of them.

[1] https://search.wikileaks.org...

[2] https://3.bp.blogspot.com...

[3] http://www.blueblurrylines.com...

[4] https://en.wikipedia.org...
McMount

Pro

"My one argument against this being likely at least in recent history is that there are few examples of serious cover ups working and those that we know about are rarely multinational"

The cases I presented, as well as most of UFO cases, date to 1940-1990. During this time it was very easy for governments to hide their experiments so that no information about them leaked into public. One such project, MKUltra, was only made public because some documents considering the experiment were misplaced and later found by authorities. MKUltra was extremely highly classified project by CIA, which subjected random oblivious citizens to various illegal testings with LSD, hypnosis, torture and many other nefarious experiments. These ended up killing multiple innocent US citizens. What makes this case prove that authorities can hide even large-scale operations from the public is that there were no whistleblowers whatsoever. All documents were destroyed, save a few misplaced ones which revealed the "conspiracy". Without that small mistake MKUltra would've stayed a secret forever. [1]

1. "Slayton doesn't even think it was an alien saying 'I don't automatically presume that it came from Alpha Centauri' NASA confirmed that there was a weather balloon in the area at the time."

Slayton, being an experienced pilot, would not have mistaken a weather balloon for an object going faster than any fighter at the time. But true, there is no way of telling whether the object was from extraterrestial origin.

2. "As for the motive, likely narcissism. How many times have you really heard each appollo astronaut, I don't mean the first 3 to land on the moon but all the others? Despite their achievements most are relatively unknown."

You make a compelling argument about the Mitchell case, and indeed, his story is filled with holes. I will lay this case off for now.

3. As for the Cash-Larundum incident, your explanation is invalid. The symptoms weren't caused by any known radiation or phenomena. This does not rule out possible versions of radiation not yet discovered. Suggesting the symptoms were psychosomatic is absurd. Psychosomatic symptoms cause rashes at best. Whereas with the victims, the symptoms were those of extreme (lethal) exposure to radiation with large blisters and large patches of skin falling off.
As for the sighting itself, it's practically impossible to mistake a helicopter for a UFO. Perhaps some secret experimental airplane (though I highly doubt it) but you cannot mistake a helicopter with the rotor sounds. Furthermore, no mirage or military plane explain the hand marking left on the car bumper.

Now to the next cases. I will present cases with high amount of witnesses on this round. Next round I will bring the philosophical views into the argument. Take note that not all the cases I present contain over 1000 witnesses.

4. Westfall UFO
On 6. April 1966 there was a famous UFO encounter in Melbourne, Australia. UFO was hovering in broad daylight for over 20 minutes. What makes this case so compelling is that the amount of witnesses climbed to over 200. Nearby airport confirmed that there were no planes in flight on that area. The RAAF also reported no military activity in that area. There have not been any convincing explanations about this event.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

5. Hudson Valley UFO sighting
Hudson Valley had a dense amount of UFO sightings from 1982 to 1986, over 5000 different encounters. The one that stands out was 24. March 1983 with over 300 witnesses.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com...;(number 7)

6. Phoenix Lights
On March 13, 1997 thousands of witnesses saw unidentified aircraft hovering slowly in a "V" formation over Phoenix on two separate events. There is yet to be a convincing explanation for the first event, whereas military alleges that the second event was caused by Warthog flares and unordinary weather conditions.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

-I'd like to thank my opponent for a lively debate.

SOURCES:

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org...