Mattyb1614
Zaradi

F*ck is a bad word

Zaradi

Mattyb1614

Con

Anyone who wishes to debate me on this topic must undergo the following conditions:

- First round is for acceptance only

- No plagiarism

- This debate must be taken seriously. A few jokes in between are acceptable, but that is it.

- Both Pro and Con must share their BoP (Burden of Proof); Both must reason why they think what they think.

- Bad words: Words that are said in order to make someone or something look or feel bad.

Failure to do so will result in an automatic loss.

NOTE: Remember that by accepting, you agree to abide by the settings I have set. If you accept, but then go on to rebel against, say, one of the rules I have set, it is an automatic win for me UNLESS you are willing to deal with it anyway. If you have any doubts or you feel that one of my rules are unfair, however, feel free to speak your mind in the comment section.
Zaradi

Pro

Accepted.
Mattyb1614

Con

My opponent has accepted the challenge. He has very lively participation and good statistics. So, I look forward to a great debate!

Now onto my agument:

Simply blurting the word f*ck out loud is not a bad word. As I defined, a bad word is a word used to make someone someone feel or look bad. If you only blurt the word f*ck out loud, you not only not have the intent to make someone feel or look bad, but it will not make anyone look and feel bad.

Now, there are times whenever the word f*ck is used directly against people. That would be bad because, although it might not do so, you have the intent of trying to make someone feel or look bad. However, as you can infer from the title, I am talking in general about blurting it out loud.

I await my opponent's arguments.
Zaradi

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting.

Of course the question my opponent is probably going to ask is “what makes a word really “bad”? It can’t be the arbitrary definitions we assign to words and slap in a bound bundle of papers that we call a “dictionary”. But what is it? I’ll be defending that it’s a communally-accepted term that has negative implications, thus making it a “bad” word.

But just what is communication then? Dictionary.com defines it as “the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, or signs.”(1) Sounds pretty simple, right? It’s actually a intricate system relying on the ability to send and receive messages from other people, as well as for the messages you send to be understood by the person receiving your message. This is what’s known as the communication process(2).

Miscommunications happen when a message is sent but not properly understood. This can happen for a number of reasons, such as speaking in different languages, or through the use of things like sarcasm. Among these is saying a word and meaning something that isn’t understood by the average person. For example, if I’m talking to a person and say “I want some ice”, but by ice I mean “not ice”, the person who I’m talking to will inevitably get confused, leading to miscommunication.

That’s ultimately what a dictionary is; it’s a book that contains the socially accepted meaning for words so that we can communicate efficiently and effectively. This is what the framework for the debate ought to be: the ability to effectively communicate with the society around you is something that ought to be valued above all else.

The main reason you look to this as the way you evaluate the round is without it there’s no way to actually communicate with anyone. Without the ability to communicate with the society around you, governments would collapse in on themselves and chaos would erupt on a global scale. This point is pretty intuitive so I don’t expect a lot of contest to come here.

The best way to effectively communicate with society is through respecting social norms. Think back to the ice example. If I use a definition for a word that isn’t socially accepted, the person I’m taking to probably isn’t going to have a clue what I’m trying to say. This leads to ineffective communication which would violate the framework.

And, this framework supercedes the definition debate. It doesn’t matter if I define a word any way I want to, if society considers a word to be a certain way, for all practical purposes in communication it’s how society defines it. This means that if I’m winning on my framework, his definition of “bad” doesn’t really matter (and, just to cover all my bases since I think he’s going to argue that it violates the rules, the framework doesn’t disagree with your definition, rather chooses to work around it, which doesn’t violate the round one rules.)

And, intentions don’t really matter in regards to social norms since it’s kind of hard to communicate intentions (I’m looking at you, sarcastic responses). The fact that people can misinterpret sarcastic remarks to be not sarcastic shows that simply meaning one thing doesn’t guarantee your intentions will come across.

Moreover, it doesn’t really matter what a word ought to mean because that’s outside the scope of the resolution. All that the resolution asks for us is to say if f*ck is a bad word, not whether it ought to be a bad word. Furthermore, to say that f*ck ought not be a bad word would imply that it currently is a bad word, which would be conceding the debate.

So at this point, the debate is simple. All I need to do is prove that f*ck is considered a bad word by society and I’ve proven that it’s a bad word.

So hence, my main argument: f*ck is considered a bad word by society(3)(4)(5)(6).

As such, the resolution is affirmed.

(1) - http://dictionary.reference.com...

(2) - http://education-portal.com...

(3) - http://www.noswearing.com...

(4) - http://en.wiktionary.org...

(5) - http://www.slate.com...

(6) - http://www.urbandictionary.com...

Mattyb1614

Con

This is not at all what I expected. I concede. Yes, how surprising, right? My opponent is a very very smart person and has taught me to do research on my debates before I make one. Thank you.
Zaradi

Pro

Well that was rather anticlimactic...
Mattyb1614

Con

Mattyb1614 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

Come on now let's get this over with.
Mattyb1614

Con

Mattyb1614 forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

Aaaaaaaaaaand done
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
Because I don't think it ought to be a bad word. It is currently, but that doesn't mean it ought to be considered one.
Posted by ElCorazonAma 2 years ago
ElCorazonAma
OMG, Matt, how can you agree with the resolution when you use the very word??? XD
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
Soul purge that argument works against you as well. It doesn't really matter if you like how society has described "bad" words, they're still described as such. Your argument is really saying that no words are inherently bad, which is true but outside the scope of the resolution since we can assign subjective value to words to give them meaning.
Posted by Soul.Purge 2 years ago
Soul.Purge
There are no bad words. Each word describes something. Weather or not you like that description is irrelevant. I might not like word 'chair' due to my own reasons, doesnt make it a bad word.
Posted by Vox_Veritas 2 years ago
Vox_Veritas
I'm curious as to how long the word has been commonly used in English-speaking areas. For instance, during World War II were there American soldiers who used the word?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
When I was growing up in the fifties I never heard that word till I was about 9.Now young parents use it around their kids all the time. That is a word that should be kept private. Like what it stands for.Not out in public for all to hear.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Mattyb1614ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Mattyb1614ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
Mattyb1614ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: 2 words, Con conceited.
Vote Placed by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
Mattyb1614ZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession