Darren.K
Challenge Expired
Open Debate

FSX is better than Prepar 3D

Debate Challenge Expired
Nobody accepted the challenge for this debate. If you are Darren.K, login to see your options.
Started: 11/26/2016 Category: Games
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Challenge Declined

Darren.K

Con

I run FS9, FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv1 and P3Dv2, but there is no way to be truly neutral. It all depends on what addons you use, what hardware you run and what looks and feels right to you.

I prefper P3D v2 mostly because I enjoy the immersive DX11 graphics. HDR lighting, volumetric fog, ocean waves, shadows and no autogen popping makes the world look more realistic to my eye. And I don't use a single tweak in the p3d.cfg file. I get occational stutters, but never blurry textures. Performance wise it isn't perfect, but it has a slight advantage out of the box.

Still, FSX has a better selection of addons, so if you are dependent on certain addons check for compatibility. It still works, it's just takes a little more TLC to get it to look great.

Most of all though, I wish to support simulators with active development. (I have DSC, X-Plane and Aerofly too, but never use them). Lockheed Martin have been more than supportive of our community and made major improvements to the simulator, although these improvements have introduced new bugs that needs to be ironed out.

Microsoft's attitude towards simmers have been nothing short of ungraceful. First they shut down ACES and FS11 development. They never cared to fix the last bugs in a SP3. Then they added salt to the wound by ruining Flight which at one point had promise. Last but not least they strike a deal with Dovetail to earn even more money from a piece of software that should have been freeware by now and put limitations as to what Doevetail can and cannot do with the simulator.