surpy
InsertNameHere

FUN, making a speech for something random.

InsertNameHere

surpy

Pro

How to play:

1. it's kind of like impromtu, (impromtu is making a speech from something you don't know what it is and you are just talking about this topic like its bad or good or just any thing, and you choose 1 topic from 3 choosable topics).

2. My opponent will choose 3 topics that can be random such as a color, an issue, or the food you ate for dinner, and I will pick one and do a speech about the topic.

3. After I do my speech I will give you 3 topics and you pick one and it just keeps switching off.

4. At the end the voting will be for who did the best speeches about the topic they choose.

Rules:

1. This is not a real debate, this is just to see who can do the best speeches on the spot.

2. It must be at minimum of 1000 characters long it cant be something very small or a few words.

3. The speech must be relevant to the topic you choose.

5. Have fun!

I will let my opponent choose me 3 topics to start the game off.
InsertNameHere

Con

I think my opponent for posting this challenge! As outlined in the rules, I'll now give him three topics to choose from to start things off.

1) your favourite sport
2) One thing you have done in life that you regret
3) A memorable pet

He can now choose. Good luck to both of us!
surpy

Pro

Picture this, the rain is hitting hard against your window, all your loved ones and family members are close by you with sad looks on their face, you can just smell the sadness in the air, your favorite pet had died, the veterinarian has told you that they can't do anything to help this pet. But, a miracle just happened, your pet open's it's eyes and looks at you, every one in the room is astonished that the pet has come back to life, as the pet slowly return's to it's normal self you find more joy with this pet then you ever had.

This, was a dog of mine, her name was nah na. This was one of my most memorable pets, because this dog died and came back to life, TWICE! unfortunately she has died due to old age.

You are probably thinking, what is a memorable pet? Well a memorable pet is a pet that does something that you remember such as finding something important to you or destroying your favorite pair of shoes. But I like to think that a memorable pet is a pet that has their image and memories engraved in your mind.

The pet doesn't have to die and then come back to life to be so memorable, it could be anything big or small, you just have to be able to remember this pet because of the astonishing events that this pet can do.

Now for my opponent's three topics
1) Blue
2) Fire
3) Lord of the Rings

Good luck.
InsertNameHere

Con

Thank you for a quick response. Now I'll proceed with my speech on the topic "fire".

You are in a cold cave and nightfall is coming. You are wondering what to do, fearing stumbling in the dark. Next thing you know there is a thunderstorm coming in. Oops! Seems you had left some wood out in the open. As it sudden ignites you stare at it with awe. This was to be the beginning of a thousands of years old fascination with one of the simplest, yet most important elements. We called it fire.

Right from the beginning we discovered that fire had many purposes; in that cold dark cave we could now provide ourselves with warmth and comfort, we could even cook meals, eventually leading to a whole new diet and the ability to keep food for longer. Both these factors became important for the survival of early humans.

As humans evolved and began to move into civilization, forming their own towns and communities the fascination remained. Why you might ask? Again, it was simple and essential for many of our basic functions. Fire was so mysterious too so some humans even began to create myths surrounding it; it became one of the central features of certain religious beliefs.

For centuries the fascination continued until finally serious study of the hot stuff began. Eventually we figured out how fire is created, being a mixture of different gases. How these things came to be may be a mystery, however and as we discover various ways to create fire more mysteries behind it begin to be revealed. It's a fascination that has been with us since the beginning of time which will remain until the end of time.

Now for my opponent's topics:
1) computers
2) your dream destination
3) unicorns

Good luck!
surpy

Pro

From simple cavemen, we would use sticks and stones for our food gathering and this method is something that we used for a very long time, then we discovered farming and we used that method half the time of hunting, then we discovered other easier methods of farming and food gathering using other things and each discovery we would use it less and less of the time of the previous invention. Today, we have computers.

There is a law that each generation of technology will be of 10 fold of the previous for example computers. When computers were invented they would take up the size of rooms and only do mathematics, but now we have computers that fit in our pockets and can talk to some one across the world. That was only a time span of a few years, there is a trend that technology such as computers are always advancing into more complicated and better ways to do things.

A message of warning, if we keep up this trend with our computers it could lead to robots and we have all seen science fiction movies where the robots take over the world and destroy the human race. As computers advance so will our robot overlords.

Computers are very handy tools that has been adapted to our society, they help us with keeping track of inventory, or help doctors with medical reports. Back in the 1960's the Twilight Zone released an episode called "From Agnes With love" where a man could talk to his computer but when he asked about love advice for this girl he really liked, the computer would give him information that made their relationship worse, because *SPOILER* the computer loved the man so it would purposely give the wrong information to make the girl he liked hate him. This is not far from the truth, if our technology keeps advancing then we could develop robot girl or boy friend.

As the next generation progress's technology we have to keep in mind of the possible outcomes both cataclysmic or good.

My Opponents three topics:
1. magic tricks
2. war on terrorism
3. numbers

Good luck.
InsertNameHere

Con

If there is one thing that has continuously captured the human imagination it has been magic tricks. Of course, these vary from the simple disappearing handkerchief illusion right up to the complex sorcery as displayed in works of fiction such as Harry Potter. These have all been used to entertain people.

Any magician will tell you their tricks are never revealed. Is this because they have mastered something advanced to capture people's imaginations or is it something deeper? This has triggered another fascination within this field, figuring out the secrets behind each trick. It's quite common that ordinary people will take the work of professional magicians and perform it themselves. Some may be successful while others are not so lucky. With the help of modern technology these tricks have been able to spread.

Despite being widespread in today's society, there was once a time where magic was generally reserved for certain classes in society. The ordinary citizens would approach one of these specially trained magic men(usually shamans) to ask for a cure for anything from a minor ailment to a natural disaster. Being thought to have abilities to control the supernatural these magic men were also greatly demonized; whenever anything was wrong it was usually thought to be the doing of a rival sorcerer. Many were even hunted down by early religious groups. Obviously, it was mostly likely that many of these magic men were innocent and due to a lack of understanding of the world around us more things were thought to have a supernatural cause.

In today's world, still many of these roles have continued to diminish, leaving fascination for magic tricks and sorcery only to the person's imagination. This has sprung up entire new genres of work in the entertainment industry- fantasy. Many of these works have been bestsellers and continue to make millions of dollars with Harry Potter being a notable example. This has continue to prove an eternal human fascination with the supernatural. As humans we'll probably never know everything about our environment, leaving room for imagination.

Now for my opponent's three topics:
1) You favourite food
2) Homework
3) Babies
surpy

Pro

We have all seen this things, they are in our movie theaters, our restaurants, on our planes, and on the move. The thing I am talking about is babies. When we normally see a baby, it usually crying, is gross and slobbery, or smells really badly. But we normally look pass the significance of a baby, which is new life.

Babies are one of the most important resources that a lot of people look passed because they could be anyone or anything we want it to be. There are so many possibilities that a baby could be when it grows up, it could be president, or it could destroy the world.

How new life is formed is one of life's mysteries. How something with the same attributes as clay but when we mold this clay it then comes to life. Some people have good intentions for a baby, like to help the world with good deeds and discovery, or some people have bad intentions such as making hurt the world by doing bad deeds and doing crimes.

Most people don't see a baby as the possibility to help the world or something that will change the world, no they see them as cute play toys just like puppies, people see puppies as cute and adorable and they just love it to death, but when this puppy grows up into a big dog the people see the dog as less cute and then doesn't care about it.

We as a society need to remind our selves on the importance of babies, by seeing them as something that will change the world forever, and not some kind of play toy because if we see them as a play toy then we will just grow out of it and then treat the person with less and less love.

My opponents 3 topics

1. snow
2. dragons
3. infinity

Good luck!
InsertNameHere

Con

It's something we're all accustomed to, white powder falling from the sky. To most people it's an ordinary occurrance while to others it's as mysterious as anything they're unaccustomed to. It is one of nature's wonders while also being a complete nuisance. We call this thin white powdery substance snow. As the days get colder and shorter the clouds also undergo massive transformations into a snow producing machine; each and every water droplet freezes and begins to fall, much to the delight of children.

"It's snowing!" you'll hear as each child tries to drag you outside. You'll know the season of snowman building, sledding, and snowball fights had begun with the progression of squealing children. This can be exciting or a bore, being let up to each individual to decide. Regardless of one's opinion, however, there'll always be the tedious task of suiting up in appropriate gear: lower temperatures also means more clothes.

While it can all be worth it to gear up and participate in these activities there's even more tedious tasks involved. Make sure not to walk around the house with your snowboots on! Nobody enjoys wiping up puddles that are left after a long day out in the snow. Also, vehicles. As a safety precaution we have developed ways to scrape snow and ice off the windows in order to increase visibility. Make sure you do this before it freezes though otherwise you'll be spending your entire morning before commuting to work scraping off ice. Shoveling the snow off driveways and sidewalks also allows for extra precautions. In many places these labourous activities are required by law. If somebody slips on the sidewalk by your house you are considered responsible.

It's obvious that snow can be both enjoyable and a burden, but by following the simple safety precautions it ca become even less of a burden. It's fun for everybody who makes it fun; Children have their snowmen and snow forts while adults have their snowmobiling and skiing, activities that are impossible without snow.

Next three topics:
1) Your favourite book
2) Jesus
3) Swimming
surpy

Pro

Water covers most of our blue planet. Swimming is an activity which I enjoy here and there because, when I go to a public pool my friends are there so its fun because I get to hang out with my friends, well that's my reason why I like swimming, but other people like swimming for other reasons. For example, some people do swimming as a sport so they would swim to train, or if someone just enjoys the feel of the water so they would love swimming.

Everyone has their own certain reasons for swimming, for me its to hang out with my friends, others it can be the enjoyment, or just to show off their bodies to impress people. Enjoying something it to have fun doing it, or something that brings joy to you when ever you look back at it.

Unfortunately some people are afraid of water, because they can't swim or they just have bad memories of drowning in water. We, as a community must help people to over come this fear of water and so they can enjoy the enjoyment that swimming is, so they can develop their own reasons for loving to swim, either it be hanging out with your friends or to just enjoy swimming.

For my opponents 3 topics.
1. Penny jar
2. Chess
3. Valentines day

Good luck!
InsertNameHere

Con

Valentine's Day. It's every single person's nightmare. It's a very black and white occasion with every person either moaning and complaining or spending a nice romantic evening with their partner. However, is it really worth it?

Although the holiday has much different origins it has come to represent the intimate relations between couples, signaled by the exchange of gifts such as candy, chocolate, flowers, cards, and even sex. All these are used to demonstrate that you feel love for somebody, a completely natural human emotion. Being natural, this is not a problem, but the over-materialization and commercialization of this day, February 14th can be.

If love is a natural emotion we all feel at some point in our lives do we really need a special day to celebrate it? Valentine's Day enthusiasts will say yes while others may argue "no". Around this time there is a bombardment of advertisements from various companies suggesting products you can buy for your loved one, some as high in price as iPhones. For most people it's silly to spend over $100 on one person for one day. This obviously brings up a moral dilemma. Is it ok to splurge on that one day or should you just keep it simple?

Regardless of whether you choose to splurge on V-day or go simple, there is also other questions that come up. Why must there be a special day to show you love somebody? Shouldn't every day be V-day? Do you truly love somebody if you must have a designated day to show that you love them? Next time Valentine's Day comes around it may be a good idea to ask yourself these things. You may get a sudden realization.

Since this is the end of the debate there will not be another three topics given out, but I wish both my opponent and me good luck! Please vote fairly!
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
This was close, and I think that is discouraging people from voting. It's nearly a tie, but I give the edge to Con. I thought Con's last speech, on Valentine's Day, was the best of the contest because it expressed some emotion. Pro's first speech was his best.

Both writers should learn to use the active voice and work to eliminate unneeded words.

"Picture this, the rain is hitting hard against your window, all your loved ones ..."
>> "The rain is hitting hard against the window. Your loved ones ..."

"Right from the beginning we discovered that fire had many purposes; in that cold dark cave we could now provide ourselves with warmth and comfort, we could even cook meals, ..."
>> "We soon discovered fire could warm and light a cold dark cave, cook meals, ..."

"There is a law that each generation of technology will be of 10 fold of the previous ..."
>> "Each generation of technology brings a ten-fold improvement ..."

"If there is one thing that has continuously captured the human imagination it has been magic tricks. "
>> "Magic tricks have always captured the human imagination."

Read "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. Always just delete "It <blah, blah> that ..." For unknown reasons, numbers twenty an below are spelled out. "10" > "ten"

This style of impromptu contest will help improve writing skills. A game effort.
Posted by InsertNameHere 5 years ago
InsertNameHere
Wow, people. Vote!
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Great!
Posted by jmar8542 6 years ago
jmar8542
Great...I'll be looking forward to it!
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Sure, I may be able to set up another if you wish once I'm finished with this one.
Posted by jmar8542 6 years ago
jmar8542
This topic seems great to talk about; it's a move away from the logical and toward the eloquent. I'd love to debate this way with one of you. :)
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
*thank

Wow...
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Oops, *think
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
I'm willing to give this a shot. Why not? Could be fun.
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
surpyInsertNameHereTied
Reasons for voting decision: Fun debate, both of you did great :)
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
surpyInsertNameHereTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a close contest. See the comments section.