aniruddha496
Romanii

Facebook: A Boon For the Society

Romanii
Started: 7/8/2014 Category: Technology

aniruddha496

Pro

Dear Readers,

Today I stand for the topic "Facebook: A Boon For the Society".

Before to jump to the main body, I would like to make some clarifications:

* Facebook: Facebook is a social networking website that was originally designed for college students, but is now open to anyone 13 years of age or older. Facebook users can create and customize their own profiles with photos, videos, and information about themselves. Friends can browse the profiles of other friends and write messages on their pages.

* Society: A group of individuals living as members of a community.

Reasons for Classifying Facebook as A Boon For The Society:

1. ALLOWS PEOPLE TO LEARN, EXPLORE AND DISCOVER THE WORLD AROUND THEM.

Facebook allows people to discover the world present around them. In this rat-race, where people compete each other for money and status; making new friends and discovering new possibilities of relationship is almost impossible (I used the term almost). Facebook provides a quick solution to this problem. It allows people to contact each other from any place- home, houses, schools and others private/public places.

2. ALLOWS VIDEO CONFERENCING: THE NEXT GENERATION INTERVIEWS.

Video Conferencing is a feature of Facebook, which allows people from any corner of the world communicate with each other. This communication when is supplemented by voice and video, is termed as Video Conferencing.

*** DUE TO SOME PROBLEMS REGARDING MY TIME MANAGEMENT; I END MY ARGUMENT HERE TODAY. BUT I PROMISE TO COME BACK WITH MORE POINTS AND ARGUMENTS IN THE NEXT ROUND. ***

http://www.techterms.com...
Romanii

Con

Thanks to Pro for instigating this debate. The topic is a very good one.
I will go ahead and use this round to give my opening arguments.
Seeing that a "boon" is generally something positive, I must show why, on balance, Facebook has a *negative* influence on society in order to negate the resolution.

C1) Social Ineptitude

Facebook has been reported to promote social ineptitude in young people, due to face to face interaction being replaced with online interactions. Consistent usage of such technology can have a profound negative effect on a child's brain; one neurologist states that "'My fear is that these technologies are infantilising the brain into the state of small children who are attracted by buzzing noises and bright lights, who have a small attention span and who live for the moment," [1]. Facebook helps in creating this horrific state of being in children, showing that it is definitely NOT a "boon to society".

C2) Cyberbullying

Facebook is a potential medium for cyberbullying. Since parents often do not follow their children's online activities, bullies can easily get away with things they would not be able to get away with in real life on social media sites. According to victim accounts, cyberbullying "is having catastrophic effects on their self-esteem and social lives, as well as damaging their future prospects by crushing their optimism." [2]. According to the same source, 37% of children have experienced cyberbullying before. It is obviously not a good thing for society to have such a large portion of its young generation being psychologically scarred like that. Facebook provides a means for cyberbullying to happen, and is frequently used for it, too; another example of Facebook being a "bane" to society.

C3) Lack of Privacy

Facebook has been known to change its privacy policy without notifying of its users, causing unfortunate mishaps to happen, such as messages and pictures that were supposed to remain private suddenly becoming public [2]. Such incidents can have severe, negative effects on a person's social life, harming both the individual and the people they know. As shown in the cited article, such occurrences are relatively frequent, meaning that Facebook is a negative societal force.

CONCLUSION

I have shown three ways in which Facebook has a negative influence on society, collectively negating the resolution.
I hand the debate back over to my opponent.

SOURCES
[1] http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
[2] http://www.mirror.co.uk...
[3] http://www.usnews.com...

Apologies if this round seemed a bit rushed... I wrote it in roughly 15 minutes...
aniruddha496

Pro

First of all, I apologise for abruptly ending my first round.

I start from the the beginning then:

* Face book: Face book is a social networking website that was originally designed for college students, but is now open to anyone 13 years of age or older. Face book users can create and customize their own profiles with photos, videos, and information about themselves. Friends can browse the profiles of other friends and write messages on their pages.

* Boon : A thing that is helpful or beneficial.

Reasons for Classifying Face book as A Boon For The Society:

Face book allows people to discover the world present around them. In this rat-race, where people compete each other for money and status; making new friends and discovering new possibilities of relationship is almost impossible (I use the term almost). Face book provides a quick solution to this problem. It allows people to contact each other from any place- home, houses, schools and others private/public places.

Video Conferencing is a feature of Face book, which allows people from any corner of the world communicate with each other. This communication when is supplemented by voice and video, is termed as Video Conferencing. It is actually the next generation interview styles. Instead of travelling long distances and wanting in queues, people can have online interviews while enjoying a cup of coffee at their homes.

3. GIVES A PLATFORM FOR MAKING MONEY

Advertising (in certain restricted ways) is good for us. We get to know about new products available in the market, and the manufacturers also get a chance to boost up their sales.

A problem here, as stated by my opponent, is of privacy. Many ads track users and steal their personal information. But this can be easily solved by uses some free softwares like AdBlock, PrivDog, DNTMe etc. which disable tracking.

4. EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES

Face book also provides a vast range of possibilities for studying online. Please read : http://www.teachthought.com... . I give the link because I do not have the time for writing so many points.

I, therefore establish the facts that make Face book A Boon for the Society.
Romanii

Con

I do not have any more opening contentions to give. Thus, I will take this round to refute Pro's contentions.

R1) Social Networking

Pro argues that Facebook allows people to meet new people and keep contact with friends. However, as I showed in C1, depending on Facebook too much for such purposes is ultimately harmful to society, due to the resulting lack of real life social skills. It is a much better idea to rely more on face-to-face communication whenever possible. Even if an in-person interaction is not possible, it is still better to use forms of communication other than online social media- forms of communication that still require verbal involvement, such as telephone.

R2) Video Conferencing

Pro argues that Facebook's video conference future makes it a boon to society. However, video-conferencing is not anything unique to Facebook. Skype is a popular software designed *solely* for the purposes of video calling. Google Plus is always rising in popularity. Facebook having a useful feature doesn't make it a "boon to society". In order to make such a claim, the feature would have to be something innovative and unique, and I demonstrated it not to be so in this case.

R3) Advertising

Pro argues that Facebook giving us access to company advertisement is a boon to society. However, Pro himself notes that many people do not like Facebook's system of allowing companies to have access to their personal information, meaning that Pro has essentially refuted his own argument; something which people generally do not approve of cannot be considered a positive force in society.

R4) Educational Purposes

Pro argues that because Facebook could potentially be used as an online resource for educational purposes, it is a boon to society. This suffers the same problem that his second contention does, except even more so; there are so many other online resources that are specifically designed for education, such as KhanAcademy and EdHelper. Anyways, many of the suggestions in the link provided by Pro are terrible; take the first one on the list: "Instead of trusting Wikipedia, ask the crowd on Facebook." Wikipedia is FAR more reliable as a source of information than Facebook! Wikipedia actually has established contributors, and its pages are frequently reviewed... Facebook's potential "educational" value is completely undermined by the fact that there are much better resources out there.

CONCLUSION

I have refuted all of my opponent's arguments, and he has yet to address any of mine. Thus, the resolution is negated.
Back to Pro!

aniruddha496

Pro

aniruddha496 forfeited this round.
Romanii

Con

The resolution is negated.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
OMG you defined Facebook but didn't define boon. WHAT'S BOON?
I don't have facebook but I know what it is but I never heard of boon lol. I know I could look for it, but you know, the definitions!
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
aniruddha496RomaniiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
aniruddha496RomaniiTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by Pro.
Vote Placed by Ajab 3 years ago
Ajab
aniruddha496RomaniiTied
Vote Placed by Splenic_Warrior 3 years ago
Splenic_Warrior
aniruddha496RomaniiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeture
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
aniruddha496RomaniiTied