buttercupx224
Jlconservative

Facebook is better than myspace

buttercupx224

Pro

Ok, I know this is an 'opinion' debate, but people, please vote on who is the better arguer, not what you agree with. ( and to my opponent) Let's try to keep our arguments short for the sake of the readers. And to whoever accepts this debate, hopefully you are well endowed in myspace/facebook.

Facebook has many attributes that myspace doesn't have. First off, while myspace does allow for a layout which does allow for creativity, it often makes the page difficult to see and makes loading much slower.

Facebook has groups and events. While myspace has these, they are much less prominant.

Facebook has less spam, usually the people who use facebook are older, college aged or high school aged, and are too mature to add people they don't know PURELY for the sake of appearing to have more friends.

Facebook also allows you to tag friends in pictures, so if you don't have a digital camera,you can still get pictures.

On facebook, people all use their own name, so it is much easier to find people and recconect with old friends.

Facebook also allows for applications, which can be fun, (especially jetman)
Jlconservative

Con

I think this is an unfair assumption, I absolutely agree with you that face book is more direct and has a better and more efficient way of socializing ect, all the attributes you listed are indeed good and fair however as far as opinion goes it completely depends on your age and what you want exactly. Facebook is a very good find your old high school or childhood friend finder and the social aspect I agree is better. However myspace has a much more diverse way of expressing yourself its basically creating your own website while face book is more along the lines of a forums. I think that it is unfair to just say "facebook is better than myspace" it completely depends on what you want, do you want to socialize and find old friends, or create a page to express exactly who you are and what you like for the world to see.
buttercupx224

Pro

Just in terms of speed, convenience, etc. facebook is more convenient. You can have events, groups, applications, etc. On myspace, there isn't much to do besides check your comments and send out those oh-so-irritating bulletins. Ignoring safety terms (because I don't see how a website could possibly be unsafe as far as child predators are concerned) facebook is overall more convenient. The page loads faster, it's easier to find people, and you can express yourself through applications like bumper sticker and fruit. Facebook has fun games to play and other things to do. I'm going to end my argument here, sorry I don't have time to post more :(
Jlconservative

Con

Well if we are going to argue on this topic I might as well make an effort. My top ten reasons why myspace is better

1. Traffic. No one can deny the masses that click their way to MySpace everyday. Hitwise data from December 2006 puts MySpace at No. 1, ahead of both Yahoo! and Google. They also have two subdomains in the Top 20. The mail domain comes in at No. 5 in traffic and their blog platform is No. 14. Facebook has respectable traffic, but fails to crack the Top 10. Want user data? How 'bout 155 million-plus and growing.

2. Brand leader. MySpace has become synonymous with "social networking for the masses." Facebook, which used to have firm residence in the hip, college-only market position is now trying to out-MySpace MySpace.

3. Media powerhouse. Videos, music, concerts, films, comedy acts, IM and photos help make MySpace an impressive outlet to consume media today and is sure to only get more dominant in the future

4. Rock ‘n' roll will never die. One can't deny the lock MySpace has as a centerpiece for every band that's currently putting out music. Allowing users to feel like their one degree away from their favorite rock (and other categories) stars is a good position to be in.

5. More mone MySpace has an ownership with mega-wads of cash. Facebook doesn't.

6. Rupert Murdoch. Don't underestimate the power of experienced leadership, especially if that experience "gets it." Murdoch is as smart as they come and knows media as well as anyone in the world. His empire is scary impressive.

7. Unique URLs. I can promote my own MySpace page. Promoting my Facebook page isn't as clear-cut. The growing number of movies and other media properties promoting their MySpace URLs in commercials and other mediums will only make this more important. Do you own myspace.com/YOURBRAND? You should.

8. Customizable pages. With varying degrees of Web design know-how, MySpace pages are easily customizable, even to the point where your page can vaguely look like MySpace at all. The Marines' MySpace page is a good example of this. Facebook doesn't allow such customization that I'm aware of. The only exception is for sponsors, and those seem to come with limitations and a price tag.

9. News Corporation and giant partners. If you take a look at the monster network MySpace belongs to known as News Corporation, it's big and far-reaching. MySpace is global. And they have Google under contract to the tune of $900 million through 2010 running their search engine and contextual ads. EBay may be next. If things ever got bad at MySpace, falling back on such reserves is comforting.

10. Classifieds. MySpace has a platform by which users can post classifieds for free. No, it's not Craigslist, but it's a far greater leap than Facebook has made. The social networking leader is also in talks with eBay to deliver an auction platform. As far as jobs are concerned, MySpace users have access to the millions of jobs currently at Simply Hired as well. Will the deal with Jobster - who will have about the same job content as MySpace - make a big difference? We'll have to wait and see. Interestingly, jobs posted on MySpace fail to make it to the vertical job search engines that I checked. Wonder why? At a minimum they should be on partner site Simply Hired.
buttercupx224

Pro

buttercupx224 forfeited this round.
Jlconservative

Con

well not much else to say.....I think I provided enough facts in order to clain a win I do not understand why people start debates and then don't finish them.
Posted by natfacethinksyourwrong 8 years ago
natfacethinksyourwrong
MYSPACE OWNS ALL SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES.
Posted by buttercupx224 9 years ago
buttercupx224
Ooop! I'm sorry i skipped that round! this is the first time I've logged on in a while and I was at a convention for 3 days that weekend.
Posted by danj9984 9 years ago
danj9984
If we are basing the argument solely upon the reason of who argued it best, i think mr. con wins. As he mentioned i believe in his first argument (round 1) he states that it is merely upon preference upon which site is better. Facebook may be the better site (i am 23 and feel it fits my needs more, thus im partial to it) but for those who are just starting their first networking site, myspace is more user friendly and much easier to navigate; stupid proof if you will.
Posted by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
"Above all safety on the internet is the main priority, therefore making facebook better than myspace."

Uh...what? If the main priority of the internet was safety than the best bet would just be not to use the internet. The main priority of the internet is the sharing of information. And if we do want to bring safety into it, a MySpace can be created with whatever level of information you want to be available to others. Facebook has your real name, college info, etc....but worst of all is the huge scandal of how they're hoarding user information and using it is a product, anyone who thinks that Facebook is safe seriously needs to look into this.

The "lack of safety" on MySpace that has been trumpeted is the whole "internet predator" thing...but seriously folks it's not the fault of a web page if an ignorant 14 year old thinks it's a good idea to meet a boy from the internet...there's far more problems involved with that than the site.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
I have both a facebook and a Myspace. Not a day goes by without getting friend requests from total strangers, with their profile pictures set as slutty, scantilty clad women. I have never received a friend request from someone I do not know personally, therefore making facebook safer than myspace. Above all safety on the internet is the main priority, therefore making facebook better than myspace.
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
Well, i just timed my facebook page and myspace page loading times. I started the Myspace page 5 seconds after the facebook one and Myspace finished before Facebook. But those are just my profiles.
I like Myspace because of the expression thing. I hate facebook's applications. After the few basic apps, they just get annoying with requests and whatnot. Myspace, i agree could use more social features, but Facebook could cut back on the crap.
Posted by shaffaq0589 9 years ago
shaffaq0589
i definetely think facebook is much better than myspacee because it has so many difer applications u can add and well i wouldnt say its safer cause neither of them are but facebok is coooler
Posted by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
Hmm.. an interesting topic. But honestly? I don't want to take it because I am not that informed. It seems to me that Facebook copied MySpace on several features, but again... I'm not informed. Just my two cents.
Vote Placed by natfacethinksyourwrong 8 years ago
natfacethinksyourwrong
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by turtlecool2 8 years ago
turtlecool2
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by danj9984 9 years ago
danj9984
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by TJBric 9 years ago
TJBric
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by Rlancer55 9 years ago
Rlancer55
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by Alex391 9 years ago
Alex391
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by buttercupx224 9 years ago
buttercupx224
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by johnwooding1 9 years ago
johnwooding1
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied
Vote Placed by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
buttercupx224JlconservativeTied