RuthBaderLover
Danielle

Facebook is better than myspace

Started: 3/15/2008 Category: Technology

RuthBaderLover

Pro

I have a few simple points as too why facebook is better:

1. The adds are smaller and less obvious

2. You don't get friend requests from random porn stars

3. Pop-ups for porn don't come up

4. There are limitless numbers of applications

5. You can easily see people at your schools or city

6. There is more customization

7. It is not as slow to load
Danielle

Con

To respond to your points:

1. The ads are smaller and less obvious -- True. However my argument would be that this is not necessarily a good thing. There are a few reasons...

A) Customers benefit from the exposure to new products and services displayed via advertisements; for instance I came across Debate.org thanks to an ad for this website that I saw being displayed on MySpace.

B) Social networking websites make money by selling advertisement spots. MySpace earns $1 million dollars daily for ads placed on their home page alone (more than Facebook). More advertisements = more money = more interesting, unique, fun and advanced features, as well as more money to technologically expand, and add more bandwith for a more enjoyable (and fast-paced) experience, etc. Furthermore, there are more active participants on MySpace then on Facebook, thus leading us to assume that despite the more "obvious" advertisements on MySpace, users are not deterred from interacting on the site.

2. You don't get friend requests from random porn stars -- True. But I DO get friend requests constantly from people who are just as ugly, creepy, persistent or annoying. Eek.

3. Pop-ups for porn don't come up -- True. But what's your beef with porn anyway? Some people (not me - but some people) actually enjoy ads for porn.

4. There are limitless numbers of applications -- False. There is in fact a specific number of applications that exist right now, as well as a maximum bandwith amount that Facebook can not exceed before it crashes. Also, my main argument against this point has exactly to do with the number of applications available on Facebook for people to add. This especially has to do with the fact that most applications require you invite 20 people or more to add the application also in order for you to even participate. The invitations pile up and make a users home page more crowded and difficult to navigate.

5. You can easily see people at your schools or city -- True. However you can just as easily search for people who attend your school or live in your hometown (or any hometown) on MySpace, so what's your point?

6. There is more customization -- FALSE. In fact my strongest argument against Facebook being better than MySpace is the fact that there is A LOT less customization opportunity available on Facebook.

7. It is not as slow to load -- False. MySpace pages can be just as fast to load as any other page on the net, especially if a user opts to retain the custom default MySpace layout or anyther layout that does not require a fast connection or a lot of bandwith to load. Also, due to the fact that Facebook users tend to add multiple new applications to their pages each day, Facebook pages have become increasingly slower to load to the point where it may not work at all, or they definitely exceed the loading time of most MySpace pages in general. In fact, unless a specific MySpace page contains an abnormally large amount of .vids, HTML or graphics, they will almost always be faster to load than your average Facebook page.

And now for some of my own arguments:

I would like to re-iterate the fact that it is absolutely incorrect to claim that Facebook allows for more customization than MySpace! Every Facebook page requires users to have an identical set-up of information (not to mention identical text and color scheme), which a user can choose to either fill out or not fill out, depending on the requirements of the site for that particular section. However MySpace users can use HTML or CSS to be extremely creative, and exemplify their use of savvy computer techniques to put forth a page that is reflective of the users respctive personalities and 'space,' and actually even be quite artistic in design. The unique layouts can be admired and changed on a regular basis, thus making it a more entertaining site to be involved with. You can constantly change the look and feel of your page which occupies your time and provides an outlet for creativity and innovation, as well as provide aesthetic pleasure for your viewers and friends.

Additionally, one HUGE advantage of MySpace is the ability for artists and musicians to display their music on the site for people to browse and listen to. Some now-famous artists actually got their 'big break' thanks to MySpace, such as Sean Kingston and Colbie Callait. Not only do users have the freedom to "decorate" their MySpace page however they see fit visually, but they also have the ability to upload music on their page for their friends and viewers to hear when they visit (of course these guests can always opt to mute the music or disable it from playing). And, thanks to the ability to add HTML codes for sources such as ProjectPlaylist.com, users can now add entire playlists of songs to be played when visitors browse their pages. This can make for a very enjoyable experience for people who want to listen to music (from almost any artist) online.

Facebook has more restrictions in terms of what you can and cannot do; for instance it requires that you use your first and last name to register, and will not accept a name such as Pot Head (haha - I'm just sayin) whereas MySpace will accept just about any first and last name that you provide.

Another huge disadvantage to Facebook is the fact that it's more of a "stalker paradise" than MySpace. Sure new additions to MySpace have made it easier for users to see updates that their friends have made to their respective pages, however, Facebook takes it a little too far with both the news feed displayed on a users home page, AND their personal news feed on their individual profiles as well. Not to mention Facebook displays updates regarding even the most minor of details including which applications people have added (and even their quiz results) in addition to more personal things, such as when a user has broken up or changed relationship status with their partners.

... I think I'll stop here for now. I have a few other points, but at this point I think I'm in good standing with my debate thus far, and it's pretty late, so I'll let my opponent respond before continuing. Thanks for reading :)
RuthBaderLover

Pro

RuthBaderLover forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

Damn. It's waaay too early in the morning to come up with a clever approach to reach 100 characters.
RuthBaderLover

Pro

RuthBaderLover forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

I regret that my opponent has failed to address my previous arguments. However, even if he had, I'm not sure there would have been much to say to refute my points. Thus I urge a Con vote; I have provided far more insight, facts and reasoning to defeat my opponent's logic. Thanks!
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
I agree that Facebook is better than MySpace, however, I took on this debate for fun and for a challenge. I think I did pretty well. And thanks for the fair vote, Sccrplyr :)
Posted by sccrplyr40 8 years ago
sccrplyr40
facebook IS better than myspace, but since this is a DEBATE website, i shall vote for the person who did not forfeit any rounds and argued their point the best
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
facebook is too confusing... and I hate it when you can see their picture but it won't let you clikc on them. That makes me want to start wigging out.
Posted by run-ons_maker 8 years ago
run-ons_maker
it only you now that can win
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
I actually enjoy Facebook over MySpace but I figured what the Hell...
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: 0-0
Vote Placed by Paris 6 years ago
Paris
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by kaylitsa 6 years ago
kaylitsa
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Cro-magnon 8 years ago
Cro-magnon
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Jamic 8 years ago
Jamic
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by DorothyDorothy 8 years ago
DorothyDorothy
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by HungryAssassin 8 years ago
HungryAssassin
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied
Vote Placed by GleefulJoker 8 years ago
GleefulJoker
RuthBaderLoverDanielleTied