warllamas
Korashk

Facebook is stupid

Korashk
Started: 8/4/2010 Category: Technology

warllamas

Pro

Facebook is a useless social networking site in which people waste the majority of there modern lives. The teenagers of today's cultures obsess about there insane fantasies and dull boring lives, giving way to the corporations to advertise and brainwash our minds.

Facebook is repressive because it detracts from normal Face to Face social interaction. It teaches dependence to authority (culture, technology). Separating people by there egos and the blank slate which is there wall.

Facebook is opposed to direct experience in friendship because if they didn't then there business model would collapse and people wouldn't waste there life on corporate surveys!

Facebook is authoritarian because of its privacy policies. It stores all information photos, notes, chats, likes etc. Which can be used against you in the future. They sell this information out to corporations which then spam you to death with useless ads.

Facebook teaches ignorance because people use it to believe they have 500 friends (by the way is impossible because of DUNBARS NUMBER!) when they actually don't because they wouldn't be wasting there time online so much if they actually did! Ok well lets assume that you did have 500 friends, even still would they give a **** about every little thing which goes on in your life. Friendships aren't meant to spam people with a plethora of desires and lies. Bragging indecently about every new event which pops up in your life. Also in general the problem with "online friendships" is removal of depth in knowing the person and there personality.
Korashk

Con

.
.
.
I thank my opponent for starting this debate and would like to remind the viewers that I do not have to show that Facebook is stupid to win this debate. I merely have to show how my opponent's arguments fail to affirm the resolution that Facebook is stupid.

~~~~~~~~
Definitions
~~~~~~~~

Facebook - This: http://www.facebook.com...
Stupid - lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

~~~~~~~
Rebuttals
~~~~~~~

///Facebook is repressive...///

For this point to be valid my opponent will need to show why being repressive is in and of itself stupid.
~

///Facebook is opposed to direct experience in friendship because if they didn't then there business model would collapse and people wouldn't waste there life on corporate surveys!///

One can interact face-to-face with those they interact with on Facebook. There is nothing that prohibits this.
~

///Facebook is authoritarian...///

For this point to be valid my opponent will need to show why being authoritarian is in and of itself stupid.
~

///Facebook teaches ignorance because people use it to believe they have 500 friends...///

Facebook does not claim that every Facebook Friend that you have is actually your friend. Any assumption made otherwise is te fault of the user's not Facebook.
~

I look forward to my opponent's response.
warllamas

Pro

Precisely I agree this definition and facebook is stupid! Random herds of teenagers blogging on web 2.0 about there interests such as movies, TV shows and other corporate junk!

Facebook is repressive

Yes Facebook is repressing creativity and this is stupid and creating a culture of dumb stupid animals who don't listen to classical music but the minimal techno's!

/Facebook is authoritarian!

Why should we assume that this huge corporation which is dominating and corrupting our culture is passive?

Facebook teaches ignorance because people use it to believe they have 500 friends

It doesn't force you too but it implies and encourages it!

In order for my opponent's to refute my claims he must do the 10 of the following! :

Prove that facebook is NOT repressive, authoritarian, ignorant and stupid

Prove that he did not make a logical fallacy in seperating repressive, authoritarian, ignorant with stupidity!

Prove that facebook doesn't steel your information to spam you with advertisements (propaganda)

Prove that FACEBOOK MAKES TEENAGERS SMART!

Prove that the western structure of debate will help you win!
Korashk

Con

.
.
.
I thank my opponent for his response

~~~~~~~
Rebuttals
~~~~~~~

///Yes Facebook is repressing creativity and this is stupid.///

You saying it is stupid doesn't mean anything, You have to actually show why it is stupid and provide evidence. Something you have yet to do.
~

///It doesn't force you too but it implies and encourages it!///

Evidence? Again, you saying it does not make it true.
~

///In order for my opponent's to refute my claims he must do the 10 of the following!///

Incorrect, it is my responsibility to show that your arguments do not affirm the resolution by refuting them, or otherwise showing how they are invalid.
~

warllamas

Pro

warllamas forfeited this round.
Korashk

Con

Unfortunate, vote for me.
Posted by MarquisX 6 years ago
MarquisX
i think warllamas is secretly that Kip kid from that one episode of South Park
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
tvellalott
My dad found one of his sons he hadn't seen for 27 years on FACEBOOK.
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
///Voting for yourself seems questionable, especially when the other person can't/doesn't vote for themself.///

I'm still going to do it. It's not like I'm votebombing.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
Just read it it sucked.

Info to pro, it is just like interacting face to face (if who you are talking to you know IRL) the thing is you don't have to be all "what movies do you like?" you can just look at their interests. You'd be surpirsed how much you can learn about your friends just by reading the stuff they put on FB.

For ppl you know but haven't met IRL yet it has the same benefit, like me and my bf. Thanks to FB I found out things about him like what he thinks about his friends, his fave movies, shows, bands, things he believes in, plus its easier to chat in the chat option then to text. Doesn't take as long and the keyboard isn't as small. Plus it keeps me from having 200,000 texts a month and makes it like 8,000. (yeah adding him to fb directly had that affect. I only send like 500 texts a month to ppl that aren't him)

Really quite patheitc. I would say farmville is pointless tho.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
I haven't read any of this debate but in case it wasn't said, how can a website be stupid? Last I checked no website is capable of individual thought and can't be stupid or smart.

Also I do disagree with voting for one's self. I will never do such a thing, its like vote bombing imo.
Posted by Freeman 6 years ago
Freeman
Voting for yourself seems questionable, especially when the other person can't/doesn't vote for themself.
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
Lol, I'm Con. I don't have to prove anything to win.
Vote Placed by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
warllamasKorashkTied
Vote Placed by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
warllamasKorashkTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
warllamasKorashkTied
Vote Placed by GeorgeCarlinWorshipper 6 years ago
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
warllamasKorashkTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
warllamasKorashkTied