Facebook should allow the users to use the nickname.

Round 1 is for acceptance only.
Round 2 is for stating overall points and examples.
Round 3 is for rebuttals
Round 4 is for rebuttals and summary of the debate.

Thanks xD

Thank you for accepting my debate offer. I really appreciate it.
Just to make sure that we are on the same page, I would like to put some definitions:
1. Users refer to anyone who uses a Facebook account.
2. Nickname is any kind of name refer to a person, other than his legalized name.

I am going to point out that there are no real benefits from forcing the users to use their real name, and therefore users should have their freedom to choose whatever kind of name they want.

The main reasons for Facebook real name policy is to reduce abusive actions online. As Mark Zuckerberg stated "people are much less likely to try to act abusively towards other members of our community when they"re using their real names."[1] and "When people use the names they are known by, their actions and words carry more weight because they are more accountable for what they say." [2] However, the problems is not increasingly serious and it cannot be blamed on technology and anonymity, thus real name policy won't entirely or effectively solve cyberbullying.

1. Most people who cyberbully are acquaintance of the victim.
82% of the victims say that the ones who bullied them are either from their school, or a friend, or an ex-friend or ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. This proves that most of the victims know who the aggressor are, making anonymity a rather irrelevant factor in this case. Moreover, since Facebook debut in 2004, cyberbullying has not increased: in fact the percentage of teenagers who report being cyber bullied has decreased from 22% to 15% (from 2003 and 2008) [3]

2. Not only does real name policy not effectively and clearly solve cyber bullying in general, it actually puts more people at risk
Many people, such as porn actors, sexual abused victims, drag kings or queens, are likely to receive harassment. Therefore, they need to use an alternative name to hide away from their acquaintance and possible hate speech. However, the real name policy has taken that right from them.
There were intense emotions from about 80 members of LGBT communities who wanted their safety protected during a Facebook public panel [4]
Furthermore, Facebook is requiring users to provide their IDs to prove that the name they are using is legalized. Meanwhile, Facebook has not announced any measure to protect those personal information. Social activists need some level of anonymity for their own safety, and Facebook are forcing them to hand in their personal data. An example is Kitty Stryker, a Bay Area activitst. [5]

In conclusion, the benefits that real name policy brings about is questionable. It is not clear whether anonymity greatly affects cyber bullying, and there is actually evidence that suggests otherwise. Meanwhile, this policy puts many people under threat, such as LGBT, social activists, porn actors, ... There are no clear and absolute benefits to be gained, and therefore people should have the freedom, to choose the name that they want.

Name vs Username

My opponent's position is invalid based on the fact that facebook already allows users to use their nickname [1]. Due to this fact I do not believe that Facebook should allow users to use their nicknames because it's unneccessary.

There is a box where you can fill in your name however the key word is "username" [1]. Due to this fact, you are not obliged to use your real name because username =/= real name [2].

My opponent (based on their contentions) wishes that we should have a new section for nicknames. This is unnecessary since you can already do this [1].

Also, if facebook do reorganize then it will cost them money for their web design. It would cost over $500,000 however since the change isn't necessarily definite it could be much higher [3].

This may not be much in terms of the money that facebook has, but even so, this is pointless since we already have this option.

$500,000 is a large amount of money that could be better spent on fairer employee wages [4]. It could also be given to charity which is a thing that Facebook takes very seriously [5].

The resolution is easily negated via the Kritik presented. Vote the negating case, vote Con!

I think we are having a very unfortunate misunderstanding right now xD

I am not suggesting that there should be extra space for an extra nickname. And currently, Facebook do NOT allow users to use a nickname, unless it is a shortcut of the authentic legal name [1]. Facebook users can now be reported for using a "fake" name, and they would have to show an acceptable ID card to proof that their name on FB is their legal name.

Therefore, I am arguing to support the view that Facebook should stop this real name policy, and changed back to the previous state.

And because you believe that Facebook now allows users to use nickname, I think that you already agree with me on this debate xD

My opponent has misunderstood the facebook rules. This is the page on which the rules of usernames are located:

More specifically:

In case you cannot read what that says I'l quote it here in text:

"Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they're a variation of your authentic name" [1]

It also says:

"You can also list an additional name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, professional name)." [1]

I do not want facebook to allow me to use nicknames because it isn't necessary because they already do.

As stated by Facebook, your main name can only be the name as your acceptable ID would show.

Furthermore, only names that are shortcuts of your legal name can be used.

And I think we are already agreeing with each other. If you said that Facebook currently allowed nicknames, and you have nothing against it, then logically you agree that Facebook SHOULD allow users to use nicknames right? xD I never mentioned anything about an extra slot for nickname or anything. As far as I know, your main name has to be your legal name or shortcuts of it, and I am arguing against it. If you believe that Facebook already do that, then you should agree with me xD

I showed direct quotes from my opponent's source showing that this is already true. My opponent is misusing his sources which should result in the loss of sources and arguments since they are all invalid. He states that you must use ID however nowhere on my opponent's source does it say this. I showed through print screen and direct quotation that this isn't the case.

Vote Con because Pro misuses sources and he makes arguments based on assertions and false evidence that he claims that are from the sources but really they aren't.

Please Vote Con because of this.
Posted by W41T 8 months ago
I am sorry, I know the debate is over and this does not count but still, doesn't it say on the very first row of the source I sited that your name is "as our acceptable identification form would show"? xD That is where I got the ID thing. And I know it is true cause many people have experienced this, though I know this is not an acceptable source *sigh*
Posted by greysobenza 8 months ago
Greetings of peace! I ought to accept the challenge but unfortunately, I can't because my age or rank criteria does not match with yours and it's really just saddening.