Facebook should be banned

First round is for acceptance :)

FACEBOOK SHOULD BE BANNED (Especially for people under the age of 18)

1. It is a cause of disharmony between thousands of individuals each year. (It is a platform for intense bullying and religious/cultural persecution)

2. It creates a false sense of identity for searching teenagers, and therefore many seek their identity in the way they look

3. Facebook is a dangerous platform for predators and pedophiles.

4. Facebook disintegrates what true friends are

For these reasons, I believe Facebook should be banned for all, but especially those under the age of 18.

Facebook, ever since it was released, has been a platform used for bullying. Regardless of the intensity, it has been a platform which people mask their identities on and bully others. This bullying has been evident through the creation of offensive facebook pages, through direct messaging, or through online gossip. Now I believe that all of these horrible actions are a result of the corruption of humanity, and not Facebook itself; though I do believe that Facebook is a medium which is easily accessible by many and therefore the risk of something going wrong is greatly increased.

For instance, we see an individual from Britain who committed suicide as a result of bullying; in particular online bullying. ( This is one of thousands of stories.
Facebook not only increases the chances of bullying occurring, but it is a site which people feel secure bullying people on as they are not directly face-to-face communicating with them.

In regards to bullying, I believe that it is more easily committed with the introduction of social media, as such a platform allows for individuals to somewhat conceal their identities while simultaneously making someone's life a living hell.

This leads me on to my next point.

Facebook encourages individuals to create a profile of themselves which can be anything from completely honest, to completely a lie. The truth is, the vast majority of Facebook users create profiles which do not accurately reflect their beliefs or personalities, and are used to promote a false identity. Through this promotion of a false identity, we have the uprising of photoshopped images by both males and females, who then attempt to find their identity in their appearance. Many, especially teens, are insecure within themselves and therefore there is an ongoing battle to 'get the most likes' or 'upload the hottest photo' in order to get the greatest public attention. Individuals begin to warp images, until they are anything but natural, pressuring others to do the same and thus resulting in a battle between individuals who aren't even sure why they are doing it.

For example, a US teen was on the verge of suicide after becoming addicted to posting selfies on facebook:

This is a significant factor in regards to the rise in depression in Western Culture. Individuals do not feel adequate, and are ever searching for meaning in the way they look. This train of thought is encouraged by the constant bombardments from the media that tell individuals 'they are not good enough' and 'need to look better'. Facebook just encourages this attitude and enforces such demeaning behaviour.

Finally, Facebook is a platform which predators can use to groom young people using face accounts. This can also occur amongst young adults as well. Due to the fact Facebook is not a secure way of making friends or even consolidating friendships through text or images, we cannot trust the person we are 'seemingly' talking to, as the service itself is flawed in this sense. There have been a countless number of individuals who have suffered the damaging effects of this; especially young people who were nieve enough to talk to strangers that messaged them, and then arranged to meet up with them. Predators and pedophiles are able to take advantage of the fact they can create an anonymous profile with a face profile picture, and can then use this profile to their advantage in whatever sick ways they like.

Hundreds and thousands of individuals use Facebook today, and do so using their time. This time that is spent on Facebook would have once been spent doing other productive things; including the moulding and developing of real-life friendships. Talking with someone on Facebook, or any other computer-related communication device, involves using text alone. Emotions cannot be felt by the person on the receiving end of the message, and thus the intended meaning of the message can so often become unclear or changed due to this. This is extremely damaging as individuals are no longer seeking to develop strong relationships one-on-one with people, face-to-face, but are rather attempting to get as many friends as they can on Facebook. Friends who aren't actually your true friends.

Don't get me wrong; I do believe you can talk to your true friends on Facebook, but it is not through Facebook that the friendships mature; rather it is through real-life communication. Through this real-life communication, we are able to feel emotions, monitor tone of voice, examine facial expressions, bodily expressions, and thus are able to identify the meaning of what the other is attempting to say. In the 21st century, we have lost this genuine, precious method of communication and have exchanged it for textual communication over satellites!

Let us restore face-to-face communication!

Please don't see that I think Facebook is the only social media site I believe should be banned; rather I view all social media sites as dangerous, unhelpful, and damaging to the society we live in today. I do not, however, condone the notion that talking on electronic communication is bad, rather I believe it has a damaging effect on the society we currently live in.

Overall, Facebook is a platform that discourages individuals from creating real-life friendships, and a platform which evil can be committed much more easily and frequently than if it didn't exist.

Facebook, a place where many connections are made from friend to friend, from brother to sister to boyfriend and girlfriend. Facebook helps people connect and relate to each other, especially the introverts who may find it uncomfortable or hard to talk in real life. Many people use Facebook in a good, mature sense to connect with friends and family, classmates and to keep up with the latest gossip. Why take this simple pleasure away from teenagers? My main points are
1. Its an easy way to connect with people
2. The opportunities Facebook give
3.Its a website to get all the current news from

But before I go into my first main points I will rebut the flawed points you have made.

So, the first one you made was that it is a cause of bullying and cultural or religious discrimination. My response to that is how does this even occur? We are taught in school from a young age to defend ourselves against cyber bullies. Facebook has a unfriend, block and report button that is supposed to be used when you get cyber bullied. People that get bullied like this either are choosing to get bullied as it does not have to be this way and there are millions of ways to stop it. That is what the block button is there for. And those people that bully and discriminate and the ones who get bullied but take no action are the ones ruining it for all of us. They are abusing Facebook which is unfair to the majority of people that are using it correctly. And the girl that nearly committed suicide after she was addicted to posting selfies? How is that Facebook's fault? Its the girl itself. Facebook did not tell her to post that many selfies. Its like being addicted to eating biscuits and blaming the biscuits for it.

The second point you made was that it creates a false sense of identity for teenagers and then this causes them to put their best 'face' or 'image' forward. This is a good thing. It helps them raise their confidence with all the compliments telling them they look good, they look classy its a good feeling.

The third point acknowledges the fact that paedophiles and predators are attracted by Facebook. Just like I said for the first point, there are privacy settings you can adjust, the block button and why would you friend them in the first place!? Why would you accept a friend request from a dodgy looking man or woman 60 years older than you with no mutual friends?

The final point is about diminishing the communication between friends. When we are on Facebook we talk to our friends. Correct? That is correct. But this is not the only means of communication as they have school, outings and Facebook makes these connections stronger as they talk to them online as well as in person which I will elaborate more as it is my main point.

So onto my first and second point.
Firstly it is a very fast, easy and most convenient way to talk to friends, relatives and classmates. When you just want to chat with a friend you go on Facebook and with a click of a button you are able to message them. This is very convenient as you have many, many friends and can't see them all in one day and Facebook lets you communicate what you need, when you need it. Also if you need to check homework or upcoming school and class events you can go on your class page on Facebook and enquire about it there. This method of talking is more efficient than talking on the phone which is very costly especially when wanting to talk with relatives in different countries. Facebook is the fastest easiest option. Facebook helps people connect with each other. It gives people that are too shy in real life to build new friendships so they can apply them to reality. These simple things make the world better so why should we take it away? It builds relationships and aids us in our everyday life which my second point will touch down more on. Now onto my second point.
Facebook can open a window of opportunities. Job opportunities, opportunity to expand your mind and learn new things and join groups where all the people share the same views or opinions as you. There are millions and millions of pages that contain vital information and things that can make your life so much easier. There are future employees looking through your page to see what type of person you are. There are groups you can join e.g.: One Direction fan club or the 'we love mammals' group. These people all have the same interests as you and Facebook supports this. An introvert who is shy, they build their relationships on Facebook so they can be less awkward in real life. There is nothing wrong with saying 'I'm a little shy so I use Facebook to get to know people better'.
My opponents argument is the typical 'cyber bullying and paedophiles' it 'makes you anti social' as well as ' lowers self esteem but it does quite the opposite. It makes you more social, raises your self esteem and as for cyber bullying: it can all be fixed by taking action against the bully. Clicking the block button and telling someone. Same goes for paedophiles. In the first place you wouldn't friend a dodgy looking person with no mutual friends in the first place.

Jamesjeffery49 forfeited this round.

To keep it fair I will not present my third point or post an argument until my opponent does :)

Jamesjeffery49 forfeited this round.

Alycat forfeited this round.

Jamesjeffery49 forfeited this round.
Posted by Alycat 2 years ago
Ahahahhaha your comment made my night! "waw! Waw!" you sound so superprised ;)
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
WAW!!? Waw do you mean?