fbdebate
1dustpelt

Facebook, your identity and privacy promotion

1dustpelt

fbdebate

Con

Facebook reveals your identity, whereabouts etc. and in turn promotes privacy to hide the facts. How does this make you feel?
1dustpelt

Pro

I do not know what is being argued, but I accept.
fbdebate

Con

Facebook knows that the way they do business directly conflicts with user privacy the minute someone signs up so their main objective in recent years has been to defend the contrary in assuring users the opposite by promoting privacy propagande in all ways possible. For whichever intention by the largest social networking site, the fact remains that Facebook makes it compulsory to reveal your identity as stated in their ‘Terms of Service’.

Article 1 of their ‘TOS’ explicitly states, “You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.” A statement in ‘direct conflict’ with remaining anonymous on the internet for guaranteed privacy.

Article 2 states, “You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.”. Almost sounds like a direct order doesn’t it?

Facebook need to start coming clean about the their true intentions behind the organization’s motives. They need to work towards promoting actual account privacy - in the sense that your profile does not have to be linked to your actual identity - than practicing the contrary and promoting privacy propaganda.

More effort needs to be put into offering more flexibility with less imposition of rules as stated in the TOS. People are not tools to gather into one place and capitalize on so Facebook need to stop taking advantage of their position and start offering a service that is truly honest and uncommercial while actually promoting privacy than offering the opposite with ‘privacy propaganda’.

1dustpelt

Pro

Rebuttals

Article one:

"You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook"
So? They do not make it mandatory to provide most information, why not just don't provide it instead of providing false information? If you provide false information, it may be someone else's information and harm their privacy.

"or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission."
That is good. Without that, I can just create some random person's account and use it. That would using their identity to do stuff, which is illegal.

Arguments:

"Facebook need to start coming clean about the their true intentions behind the organization's motives. They need to work towards promoting actual account privacy - in the sense that your profile does not have to be linked to your actual identity - than practicing the contrary and promoting privacy propaganda."
I already proved that they do not violate your privacy.

"More effort needs to be put into offering more flexibility with less imposition of rules as stated in the TOS. People are not tools to gather into one place and capitalize on so Facebook need to stop taking advantage of their position and start offering a service that is truly honest and un-commercial while actually promoting privacy than offering the opposite with ‘privacy propaganda'."
Again, I already proved this is false.

Vote PRO.
fbdebate

Con

"So? They do not make it mandatory to provide most information, why not just don't provide it instead of providing false information? If you provide false information, it may be someone else's information and harm their privacy."

It may harm someone elses privacy to add a false name, but the fact that you can't anymore defies the whole point of privacy altogether. Your choices and hence your freedom is limited by not being able to choose a nickname instead. Facebook should work based on a nickname. Then people could choose if they want to add their real name or use a nickname instead. This would cancel out the conflict of privacy and identity misuse. Hence make a nickname central, and not the real name.

"That is good. Without that, I can just create some random person's account and use it. That would using their identity to do stuff, which is illegal."
Once again, a nickname or username should become the central focus and not the person's real name. I see a big niche market here for any Facebook competitor.

"I already proved that they do not violate your privacy."
You made your point there.

"Again, I already proved this is false."
Point made

Adhering to the main topic of this debate which is, "Facebook, your identity and privacy promotion". I still vote con that Facebook, while helping people to reconnect to their old friends have similarly demolished peoples privacy by making everything publicly online and available. Hence the term, 'privacy promotion'.

When FB later realized how massive they were becoming, they realized they needed to pretend what they are doing is not wrong on some levels and in the process, begin promoting privacy with nifty buttons and tools. The point here is although your FB page may be hidden by those you hide it to. Your entire life has become centralized at the mercy of the Facebook corporation who are making billions of your information.

It goes to show that the easier something becomes, the more prone it is to corruption as we've seen throughout the ages.

There are more ways of finding all your lost friends and communicating them. Switch now before you regret you ever joined Facebook. Facebook, what a lame word.

Be the smart one. Vote CON!
1dustpelt

Pro

"It may harm someone elses privacy to add a false name, but the fact that you can't anymore defies the whole point of privacy altogether."
Well first, Facebook doesn't REQUIRE you to give out all your information, the point is, WHY give out fake information and IMPERSONATE someone when you can leave it blank? Second, the point of Facebook is to be a social network tool, so it is not SUPPOSED to be anonymous.

"Your choices and hence your freedom is limited by not being able to choose a nickname instead. Facebook should work based on a nickname"
Where does it say you cannot use a nickname? A nickname is not false information.

"Then people could choose if they want to add their real name or use a nickname instead."
They already can because a nickname is not false information.

"This would cancel out the conflict of privacy and identity misuse."
There is no conflict.

"Once again, a nickname or username should become the central focus and not the person's real name. I see a big niche market here for any Facebook competitor."
First, how does that have anything to do with creating an account under someone else's name and impersonating them? Did you even read which part I was responding to? I was responding to the part where it says not to create an account under someone else's name without permission. If I went on Facebook and created an account under your name, how would you feel?

"Adhering to the main topic of this debate which is, "Facebook, your identity and privacy promotion". I still vote con that Facebook, while helping people to reconnect to their old friends have similarly demolished peoples privacy by making everything publicly online and available. Hence the term, 'privacy promotion'."
Again, it is not required to fill out all your information! If you don't want people to know what your phone number is, LEAVE IT BLANK! It is not a hard concept.

"When FB later realized how massive they were becoming, they realized they needed to pretend what they are doing is not wrong on some levels and in the process, begin promoting privacy with nifty buttons and tools. The point here is although your FB page may be hidden by those you hide it to. Your entire life has become centralized at the mercy of the Facebook corporation who are making billions of your information."
Again, you DO NOT HAVE TO PUT ALL YOUR INFORMATION!!! What part of that do you not get? They do not force you to put all your informtation! Only post what you want people to see. It is not a hard concept!

Voting
Spelling and Grammar- My opponent has overused the word hence, and he used it in several unnecessary places too.
Arguments- I have proved that you do not have to put all your information, that you choose what information to make public.
Conduct- My opponent: "Facebook, what a lame word" I think that explains the conduct point enough.
Sources, I have sources

https://www.facebook.com...
Posted by Doulos1202 5 years ago
Doulos1202
What is the argument you are attempting to make....As far as how I feel. No one held a gun to my head and told me to make an account.
Vote Placed by whyt3nn3rdy 5 years ago
whyt3nn3rdy
fbdebate1dustpeltTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro proved that all points should go to him. I agree completely with Pro on this topic, and his arguments were very well-structured. Conduct - Con insults Facebook wasting characters that could be used for better arguments. S/G there were more grammatical mistakes on Con's arguments. Args to Pro for immediately turning me onto his side of this debate. and sources to Pro for actually having some.