sun_kissed_333
Mr.Bitterness

Facebook

sun_kissed_333

Pro

Hey :) This is just a more fun debate on Facebook. A lot of people believe that Facebook brings more stress into one's life and is bad, etc. I am against this. I believe Facebook is a wonderful way to reconnect with people from your past, express yourself, and just have fun! I will let me opponent begin the real argument though. Thank you!
Mr.Bitterness

Con

Well, let's skip the formalities and begin.

First off, I would like to illustrate that Facebook can be bad for one's mental well being. Students who use Facebook receive, on average, lower grades than their peers who do not use Facebook. (1) If you're not a student, and you use Facebook, you are most likely a citizen with a job. Well, if you use Facebook while you are at work, you are causing a dramatic loss of productivity for your company. One major law firm in the U.K looses an estimated $264 million USD a day in lost productivity due to Facebook. (2) Yes, not doing your job can actually affect your companies success, directly affecting your paycheck. Pro says that Facebook is "a wonderful way to reconnect with people from your past, express yourself, and just have fun!" While that may be true, there are a couple other ways to do the above without screwing yourself over.

Reconnecting with people from your past: If one truly wanted to do this, one would not have to use Facebook. You could simply use another tool which has not been proven to cause any of the negative "side effects" previously explained. This tool is www.anywho.com. You can simply type in the persons name, and wait for the results to show up. Technology is amazing, isn't it?

Express yourself: Personally, I am a firm beliver in not "expressing myself" over the web. When I am asked to fill in the about me sections on websites, I almost always don't, simply because if a person wants to know about me, they would talk to me. I express myself through actions and communications, not through websites. Regardless, one could express themselves in a multitude of different ways, and through many different mediums. These include, but are not limited to: music, art, other liberal arts, verbal communication, and recreational activities.

Having Fun: Yeah, Facebook is fun, but I can think of many more hobbies that do not have negative side effects, and are more productive. For instance, one could write in his free time. This is both productive and fun. If one does not like writing, one could join a softball league. Softball is good for one's health, and it is fun. I really don't think I need to continue.

Well, I eagerly await your response, Pro.

Oh, and as a side note, if you're creating your own debate, you have to write out your own opening statement. It's proper debate etiquette. You cannot simply dump your opinion on a subject and expect your opponent to write an opening statement so you don't have to. It's a common mistake though, so don't feel bad. Just don't do it again.

(1) http://www.cbsnews.com...
(2) http://www.switched.com...
sun_kissed_333

Pro

I would like to begin this argument by thanking my opponent, Mr.Bitterness for accepting this debate and I wish you good luck!

"First off, I would like to illustrate that Facebook can be bad for one's mental well being."
Pretty much any activity in which the user over indulges in can be detrimental for their mental well being. Think about it…too much studying can cause one to become stressed, too much eating can cause multiple health problems, spending too much time watching TV can cause one to become inactive and they may even develop eye problems. Does this make doing homework or eating bad? No. It just simply means that too much of one thing is usually not good.

"Students who use Facebook receive, on average, lower grades than their peers who do not use Facebook."
I use Facebook and have all A's. Practically every student at my school has a Facebook, a majority being kids with exceptional grades. While this does not account for the rest of the world's student, it is a good representation of Facebook student users. I will refer to my point from above. If you use Facebook too much, then it may cause a decrease in grades, just as if you spend too much time playing a certain sport or watching tv. This does not make playing a sport or watching TV bad though!

If you're not a student, and you use Facebook, you are most likely a citizen with a job. Well, if you use Facebook while you are at work, you are causing a dramatic loss of productivity for your company. One major law firm in the U.K looses an estimated $264 million USD a day in lost productivity due to Facebook. (2)
How is this Facebook's fault? And yet again, I will refer back to my first point. Using Facebook in moderation is fine. Overindulging and becoming obsessed with Facebook can cause a loss of productivity, but so can texting. If you use this point, you could also say that cell phones are bad. Cell phone usage causes more deaths on the road than Facebook does…does this mean cell phones are bad? No.

I can assure you that the active 250 million users of Facebook (http://www.facebook.com...) outnumber those who have even heard of www.anywho.com. (Like me.) Where else can you update your status so that people thousands of miles away can keep up with what you're doing, post photos of your growing children, or IM long lost friends from the comfort of your own home? I don't believe www.anywho.com offers those options.

"Personally, I am a firm believer in not "expressing myself" over the web."
This may be you personally, and I respect that. Others love to update their statuses multiple times daily in order to keep their friends and family up to date. Facebook offers the option of creating groups where people can come together to pray for a sick relative and update others on their progress with a certain disease or illness. You can join a cause such as Remembering 9/11 or raising awareness about a certain topic. Con brings up the point that if others want to learn about you, then they should talk to you. That's not always an option. I have learned a lot about students in my school who I hardly ever get to talk to through Facebook. Applications such as Flair, Bumper Stickers, and their About Me sections give insight into their interests and personal likes and dislikes. While you may not enjoy expressing yourself through the Web, many love it. And just because you personally like to talk to people, others are more shy and would rather open up on the internet. There are other ways that people can express themselves, but how is this a downside to Facebook?
"Yeah, Facebook is fun, but I can think of many more hobbies that do not have negative side effects, and are more productive"
Those are other options that are offered in addition to Facebook. Again, how is this a downside to Facebook? Softball can lead to more serious injuries than Facebook anyways. Why can't one use Facebook and have other activities that they are involved in?

My opponent is making it sound as though everyone who has a Facebook is addicted and has no other activities they are involved in, so therefore Facebook is bad. This is certainly not the case. The smartest of people have Facebook accounts and also have an outside life. I agree using Facebook over-excessively is not good for an individual, this not often the case, and does not mean that Facebook is terrible.

I too am fervently awaiting your response Con! (:
Oh, and I do believe I made some points in my opening argument, rather than just letting you begin. This website is not meant for the most uptight and formal of debates. Each debater has his or her own debating style, and mine is not having a real long opening argument. I'd prefer to just bring up my main points and leaving it open to my opponent, so I'd appreciate it if you'd just worry about how you are debating, and I mean that in the most respectful of ways. Thanks :)
Mr.Bitterness

Con

Well, let's have at it.

"Think about it...too much studying can cause one to become stressed, too much eating can cause multiple health problems, spending too much time watching TV can cause one to become inactive and they may even develop eye problems. Does this make doing homework or eating bad? No. It just simply means that too much of one thing is usually not good."

"I use Facebook and have all A's. Practically every student at my school has a Facebook, a majority being kids with exceptional grades. While this does not account for the rest of the world's student, it is a good representation of Facebook student users. I will refer to my point from above. If you use Facebook too much, then it may cause a decrease in grades, just as if you spend too much time playing a certain sport or watching tv. This does not make playing a sport or watching TV bad though!"

Yes, you are right, too much of one thing can cause a problem. However, what I think you fail to understand is, just because you and your friends aren't having a problem with Facebook doesn't mean others aren't. As I have previously shown in round one, Facebook is causing a problem, regardless of whether or not you want it to. You seem to be a casual user of Facebook, and I applaud this. However, there are others who abuse the site to the point of addiction. (3) Now, the undeniable truth is that Facebook is a problem. 264 million USD a day is a large sum of money to most. I think the problem is you don't understand the sheer magnitude of that number.

USD lost a day at Peninsula due to Facebook: 264 million USD, or $264,000,000.

USD lost a month at Peninsula due to Facebook: More than 7.9 billion USD, or $7,900,000,000.

USD lost a year at Peninsula due to Facebook: More than 95 billion USD, or $950,000,000,000.

To put it in perspective, $264 million USD is equivalent to about 2,468 iPhones. (4)

I think I have established that $264 million USD a day is too much money to be wasted. Keep in mind, this is only for one law firm in the U.K, there are probably even more statistics to be uncovered. Not to mention, I haven't even crunched the numbers on the statistics showing that Facebook usage is inversely related to one's grades.

You wrote a pretty weak resolution, so if I may so bold, I will try to interpret what you meant. My argument was to prove that Facebook is not good. Well, I think I have done just that. At the end of the day, Facebook is hurting people. While it may not be harming you, it's harming others. And while we can argue the worth of $256 million, the simple truth is that that's $256 million down the drain.

I am not here to say I want to eliminate Facebook. I am here to say Facebook is a problem, and truth be told, I did just that.

(3) http://www.addictioninfo.org...
(4) http://www.apple.com...
sun_kissed_333

Pro

Thank you for the debate Mr. Bitterness! I have enjoyed it, and while I don't truly agree with you 100%, you did shed some light on how people are using Facebook these days. :) Great debate!

"As I have previously shown in round one, Facebook is causing a problem, regardless of whether or not you want it to."

Is Facebook causing the problem, or is it the people overusing Facebook that are causing the problem? Just like I started earlier, playing too much basketball can cause a decrease in grades, just like talking on the phone too much can cause a decline in the productivity of a certain company. It is not Facebook's fault nor should they take the blame for people using their website excessively. They do what they are supposed to do. Offer a safe environment online for people to communicate through (and have some fun while they are at it.) Facebook is not forcing people to log in multiple times daily, therefore they should not have to take the blame for people who become dependent upon it, and therefore cause either a decrease in their company's efficiency or a decline in their grades. It's time for people to start taking responsibility for their selves instead of blaming it on other things, or in this case websites.

"However, there are others who abuse the site to the point of addiction"
To be truthful, I think addiction is too strong of a word to use for logging onto Facebook multiple times daily. Addiction usually refers to the strong dependence upon drugs or alcohol.

"You wrote a pretty weak resolution, so if I may so bold, I will try to interpret what you meant."

I respect your opinion, but may I say in response that my opponent has only been able to bring up one claim that is weakly backed up. That claim is: "At the end of the day, Facebook is hurting people. While it may not be harming you, it's harming others."

The usage of Facebook may be hurting the efficiency of companies and grades, but I'm not sure how the actual website of www.facebook.com is ‘hurting' people. If they choose to get on recessively, it's a risk they are taking and they should take responsibility for their actions. It's like blaming a fast food restaurant for your obesity. Nobody is forcing you to eat the food (or log on multiple times daily.) The same is true with alcohol. I can promise you that the 15 people who die each hour due to alcohol or drug related activities. In 1998, about one person was killed every 33 minutes due to alocol related traffic crashes. 11 years later, I'm sure the number has more than doubled. (NHTSA, 1999) Alcohol can't be blamed for this. It's the people drinking the alcohol that need to be responsible and stop drinking after one or two drinks. The casual drinking, just like t he casual ‘Facebooking' is not what is detrimental. It's the people who overindulge in it that cause the problems. Not Facebook or the alcohol. The users. The people.

"And while we can argue the worth of $256 million, the simple truth is that that's $256 million down the drain."

Wait, I thought it was $264 million. Anyways, you are correct. It's a lot of money to be lost. But why should we be blaming Facebook for the loss? Facebook is not forcing or even implying that people should be logging onto Facebook while at work or while doing homework. Again, instead of charging Facebook with this, maybe we should start asking the employees of the companies why they log on so much? It's up to them to be responsible, not Facebook.

All in all, Facebook, just like any activity, sport, or object is not the problem. It's the people doing it that cause the problem. Thank you for your time :)
Mr.Bitterness

Con

Mr.Bitterness forfeited this round.
Posted by sun_kissed_333 7 years ago
sun_kissed_333
I really wish Mr. Bitterness would have finished the debate, but you never know. Something may have happened to his computer or something. But I'd be willing to debate anybody else who would like to! Great debate! :)
Posted by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
I would gladly challenge you on the grounds of Softball being beneficial to one's health.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Mr.Bitterness sure was bitter in his response ;)
Vote Placed by Harman 6 years ago
Harman
sun_kissed_333Mr.BitternessTied