Knowledge69
tylergraham95

Facts There is a (Higher Power)

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Knowledge69

Pro

I would love for an Atheist to prove that there is no Higher Power.
tylergraham95

Con

I accept!

First, I'd like to lay down a framework as my opponent provided none. I shall use the first round to accept and lay down some groundwork.

First of all, the BOP shall remain solely on my opponent. He must prove beyond reasonable skepticism that a god exists. The BOP is his alone due to Hitchen's razor which states that the BOP lies solely on the asserter of an appositive statement. For example, if I claimed "Unicorns exist!" and someone asked me to prove it, I could not say, "you must accept that unicorns exist because you have no proof that they don't!" Rather, you must reject the hypothesis that unicorns exist.

Therefore, my opponent must prove "There is a higher power" beyond reasonable doubt. All I must do to win this debate is force the judge to reject that appositive statement. If all of my opponents arguments are successfully rebutted, then I have won.

Next I would like to define a "Higher Power" as the physical formal-objective existence of a conscious agent that is superior to the laws of nature.

Good luck to my opponent! I look forward to a pleasant discourse.
Knowledge69

Pro

My opponent says i must prove beyond reasonable skepticism that a God (Higher Power) exist. Fair enough where shall i begin. First off, i may not have ever seen or heard from God to which I will be referring to as (The Higher Power). I know one thing for a fact, and that is no one knows exactly how the universe and all the complexites that comes with the universe came about so perfect in a way that everything intertwines together to be able create and maintain life in a complexed solar system. Now you might ask me what proof do i have for my theory. My answer to that is its all around us. Starting off with the Complexity of the Solar System. Now if you didn"t know Our Solar System consist of ( notice how i said our solar system billions of solar system in the universe) a sun, star, 8 planets, the moon, comets and other planets which I"m pretty sure their is more just haven"t been discovered and documented. That alone tells me that it had to be a Higher Power who Orchestrated the perfection of our Solar System just the way everything works together and somehow without one or the other. We as the living would probably not exist. Second I don"t know about you but i know for the 30 years i have been on this planet, not once i recall Gravity, The Sun and the Moon had a Malfunction for a day or so. Where one day i woke up and i was floating in the air for no explained reason nor do i ever recall the earth rotating on its axis had a malfunction once in my 30 years of life on earth where i was expecting Night time one particular night and it so happened that a malfunction happened with the spinning of earth. So instead of me seeing night time one particular night it happen to be daylight for the whole 24/7. I also don"t recall natural Oxygen ever had a malfunction where one day naturally i and everyone i knew woke up a particular morning and we just couldn"t breathe all because a freak accident happen and oxygen just stopped flowing on Planet earth for a few seconds. I recall waking up every single day without floating in the air without the problem of breathing, expecting and always seeing darkness after a certain time. Never once i went through an entire day expecting a normal night time or vice versa and i happen to say to myself or a friend hey what happened tonight why is the sun still out at 10pm here in NY or why is it still dark at 1pm in the afternoon what the hell. Never! Every works perfect within this grand design not once you or i can say a fluke happen. for it to have a perfect record i can say a Higher Power is behind it.
Third i don"t know if you ever been scuba diving or know anything about the Ocean. But let me tell you the ocean is a another world of its own. Saying it simple is an understatement. The food chain which is (a hierarchical series of organisms each dependent on the next as a source of food.) A food chain shows how each living thing gets food, and how nutrients and energy are passed from creature to creature. Food chains begin with plant-life, and end with animal-life. Some animals eat plants, some animals eat other animals. A simple food chain could start with grass, which is eaten by rabbits. From it raining which serves a purpose for plants, trees washing away earth etc. To Life on land, Life in the Ocean Who knows if there is life on other planets which i wouldn"t be surprised. I can go on and on and on on how this is facts that a Higher Power had to orchestrate this flawless grand design. Its impossible for all this to happen from a Poof! Bam there it is! Something is behind this Grand Design for it to be working flawlessly together. The world is too complexed too perfect in terms of design from the solar system never malfunctioning to mother nature showing up when needed. A great Architect is behind this grand design we call Earth in which i say is the Higher Power.
tylergraham95

Con

What my opponent describes is mere speculation with no real sound logic or argumentation. Essentially what he argues is that the universe is too complex to not have a diving creator which is not true at all. He cites no evidence to definitively prove the existence of any higher power. His argument totally violates occams razor as it adds a 100% unnecessary assumption. Furthermore, the complexity of any given thing is totally relative to the knowledge and intelligence of a person. Calculus to me is very simple because I know much about it, whereas a highschool who is still learning algebra would see calculus is incredibly complicated.
Knowledge69

Pro

To my opinion it's crazy,Hahaha! Everything I said is speculation? No real argument? Man we must be living in two different planets or something. I could of swore everything i mentioned we could of agreed on to a degree because I thought we were living on the same planet. From the time you were born until whatever age you are now I am confident and will say I know you can't tell me they have been a flaw in this grand design we called the universe in terms of design. Like I mentioned previously everything has and is still working flawlessly together. So you mean to tell me you really really think this Grand design that is evident, proven with science or whatever you want to use your basis with knocks out the idea that A God does not exist just because you don't see or ever heard from a God? I mean It's a pleasure for me to debate how someone can honestly believe the whole galaxy, solar system, animal/human life came out of no where like Bam! And just seemed to work perfectly together with no artist behind it for a long perfect track record. I mean really? Things just pop out and just happens to work for centuries ha!
tylergraham95

Con

tylergraham95 forfeited this round.
Posted by tylergraham95 1 year ago
tylergraham95
Ah rats. Apologies to my opponent. Finals has become too hectic for me.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Ps I think he's wrong. Just correcting your misconception.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Wampe you read but see what you want to see. Not your fault. You suffer from preconceptions. Its very common. Pro is not saying we don't understand therefore god exists. He's saying the more we understand the more it proves god exists. Its just too unlikely that we here by random luck.
Posted by Knowledge69 1 year ago
Knowledge69
I am waiting patiently for tylergraham95 to debate back
Posted by wampe 1 year ago
wampe
To summarize that wall of text.
The world is complicated and I don't understand it, there for God.
(That might be a little rude on my part but the formatting and reasoning hurt my delicate senses.)

This is no different than when our ancestors could not explain lightning, floods or earth quakes. Supernatural solutions were given and accepted. Eventually we learned how natural processes produce lightning, floods and earth quakes.

We don't know how everything in nature works yet. But science has a long track record of moving things from the supernatural column to the natural column. The god-of-the-gaps argument is week at best in my opinion.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Lol dream on. This argument can't be settled in this format.
Posted by Knowledge69 1 year ago
Knowledge69
Fair enough! Hopefully my argument proves it to you @joetheripper117
Posted by joetheripper117 1 year ago
joetheripper117
The burden of proof is on pro to prove that there is a god.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Touche
Posted by Asburnu 1 year ago
Asburnu
I'd love for a pious zealot to prove there is.