Buzzo
gryephon

Faith + good works = salvation

gryephon

Buzzo

Pro

I'm Buzzo, and this is my first debate on Debate.org.
I am a Catholic Christian.

Carefully read the terms of participating in this debate. There are 5 sections to study.

Basic information about this debate

This debate concerns the religion of Christianity.

Instigator's stance: Salvation is conditional; we must earn it
Contender's stance: Sola fide; faith alone saves us

my preferred opponent: Protestant/anti-Catholic

It is highly recommended for the contender to be a Protestant or some kind of Christian who is inherently against the 'Faith + good works = salvation' mindset.

5 rounds
1st round
Acceptance of debate and further layout of terms and definitions.

The contender is required to share with us the religion he/she follows as he/she accepts the debate.

2nd round
Opening statements

The Contender will merely present his/her own opening statements. He/she will not rebut my opening statements until the third round.

3rd round
Presentation of new statements, elaboration of existing statements, and rebuttal of each other's opening statements

4th round
further rebuttal of each other's statements; no new statements are to be made

5th round
final summary of existing statements

Basic Rules and Regulations

RockyLightning's thread

http://www.debate.org...

Read post #2 carefully. Practice none of the bad conduct listed.

Neither the instigator, contender, nor commentators will disrespect the beliefs of others.

Challenging the beliefs of others is fine, provided that we won't threaten each other with insults and divinely inspired punishments.

Rules and Regulations regarding Text and font

If we mention a user of Debate.org, we will use Comic Sans MS font, size 3.
Ex: Buzzo will be written as Buzzo

Whenever we start typing in new statements and rebuttals, we will use opening statements as headings for those new statements and rebuttals.

The opening statements will be written in Arial black, any size depending on preference.

Ex:
Good works are vital to salvation
(then type in your argument below this heading)

I
disagree with my opponent's stance regarding the importance of good works

The purpose of statement headings is to organize the debate layout; making it easier on the eyes for observers.

The comments section

Commentator and observers will abandon any stereotypes they have toward both the Instigator and Contender and their respective beliefs.

The Instigator and Contender will not use the comments section to refute each other's statements.

They will use the comments section to clarify their own statements with curious commentators and to update the observers and commentators on their current situation.

Terms and Definitions
Observer : One who reads the statements of both debating parties.
Commentator: One who comments on this debate via the comment section.

Christianity is a religion dedicated to following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

A Catholic is a Christian who advocates the 'faith + good works = salvation' mindset.

A Protestant is a Christian who advocates that faith alone saves us.

Faith --> Confidence in the divine.

Good works --> Deeds that are done to please the divine.

_______________________________________________________________________

Should the Instigator, Contender, or any commentator disrespect the rules and regulations of this debate, as well as the general rules and regulations of Debate.org, both the observers and the commentators are required to report the Culprit to a suitable moderator.

Good luck to whoever accepts this debate.

gryephon

Con

Yes, I’m a protestant, though not necessary anti catholic in the sense that I hate them. I typically subscribe to fundamentalist dogmas (E.g. Inerrancy, literalism, et cetera).

As far as definitions are concerned, I don’t see any reason to expand on new ones.

Buzzo

Pro

My contender, Gryephon, is a Protestant, and so he abides by the Sola fide; faith alone saves us.

As a Catholic, I, Buzzo, believe that both faith and good works saves us.

__________

Opening statement

Both Protestants and Catholics agree that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins.

Both Protestants and Catholics agree that acknowledging Christ's sacrifice on the cross is necessary for salvation.

Here is where we find our disagreements: While Protestants believe that faith in Christ is enough is to saved, we Catholics believe that faith must be accompanied by obedience to God via our physical actions.

Revision of definitions

To enhance on this debate's definition of good works, I'd say that good works is the technical term for any physical action that is done in obedience to God's will.

My Catholic stance is explained below

A passage of scripture is quoted below. I will put a number by each notable sentence; the list below the passage contains my interpretations of these sentences.

Matthew 16:24-28
Jesus said to his disciples: 1"If one wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and begin to follow in my footsteps. Whoever would save his life would lose it, while whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would a man show if he were to gain the whole world and destroy himself in the process? 2What can a man offer in exchange for his very self?

Christ went on to say: "The Son of Man will come with his Father's glory, accompanied by the angels. 3When he does, each man will be repaid according to his conduct. 4I assume you, among those standing here will not meet death before the Son of Man comes.

1 Simply believing in Christ is not enough to be saved; we also have to follow in his footsteps.
2 Complete submission to either the divine or the world.
3 What we do in this life has an effect on our life in the afterlife.
4 Matthew 24:36-51

1 Actions speak louder than words. If we truly wish to be disciples of Christ, then we must not only declare our faith in the Lord, but to live a lifestyle which is in accordance with Christ's lifestyle.

2 A lifestyle which is in accordance with Christ's lifestyle is a lifestyle of submission or obedience to God's will. A lifestyle of obedience to God produces good fruit.

3 Producing good fruit will make us righteous in the eyes of the Lord.
Galatains 5:22-26

4 If we have a strong fear of the Lord, we will be watchful of our conduct day and night.

We're have to be obedient to God in both mind and body.

mind --> faith
body --> good works

If we truly wish to be united with our divine creator in the beyond, we must have faith, and if we have faith, it will be beautifully expressed by our conduct, or good works.

_______________

Saint Joseph edition of The New American Bible
The scripture passage quoted has been slightly edited in an attempt to make it a bit shorter.

I now realize that the rules and regulations of this debate may have intimidated potential debaters. Whenever I create future debates, I'll try to tone down the terms of debating a bit. I'm sorry, folks. This is just how I am.
gryephon

Con

To make clear my position, I do agree that the saved will do good works, for it’s in their nature. But I believe that salvation can only come through faith alone, not by works. For if it is truly from works, then you aren’t saved by grace.

Granted, I don’t believe that faith can save all if you have it, for there is a teaching from Christ that spoke of people who believed in him, yet the Lord told them to depart from him. I’ll talk more about it in my construction.

| Constructor |

Scriptural Bases for the Sola Fide Position.

When contemplating this we must consider If there any scriptural backing to the doctrine of Sola Fide. For I feel that proving that this theological doctrine is consistent to Biblical teaching is key to lifting the burden of proof that I carry on my position.

1→ By Grace through Faith (Ephesians 2:1-9)

As the apostle Paul wrote to the churches around Ephesus “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” (Ephesians 2:8–9, ESV) As it reads, it say specifically through faith, but not works. And even gives the reason why, boastfulness. So salvation comes through Sola Fide, Faith alone.

2→ Grace is no longer Grace

As the apostle Paul wrote to the people of Rome regarding salvation “But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.” (Romans 11:6, ESV) This points out the fallacy in the paradigm that salvation comes through works. For if you said it comes from works, it sounds more like your saying that you earned it.

A case of salvation through Faith

There must be a reasonable method to falsify the idea that faith in addition to good works is required for salvation. So how do we logically prove the theory false? If there is a case that a man is saved by faith, but did not have time to do any works before death. Surely this would prove it false.

There does exist a case in the Bible where a man was saved through faith but lacked a past lifestyle of good works. This is the criminal on the cross. In fact, The Bible referred to him as a criminal, an immoral lifestyle. But Jesus told him “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” What good work could this criminal possibly do? He was nailed to a cross. The account is found in Luke 23:32-43.

This gives us hope for non-believers that die shortly after being saved.

Case of “Faith + Good works” Failed Salvation.

“The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.” (Psalm 5:5, ESV)

Jesus taught that there would be many who would come and say to him “Lord” (meaning that they believed he was the Lord), and boasted about their works, saying ‘did we not prophesy? Didn’t we cast out demons? Didn’t we do many mighty works?’ but Jesus would turn them away, saying ‘depart from me, ye workers of iniquity’. The account of the people with the boastful spirit can be found in the gospel of Matthew, 7:21-23.

| Rebuttal |

Revision of definitions

“physical action that is done in obedience to God's will.”

The problem with saying a good work is only a physical action in nature is that it leaves out the works of the spirit. For does someone who evangelizes to the non-believer does more good work in the physical world or in the spiritual? I say the spiritual. I believe that work done in the spirit pleases God, for He is spirit.

Matthew 16:24-28

Simply believing in Christ is not enough to be saved; we also have to follow in his footsteps.

True, simply believing in say Christ’s existence is not enough to be saved, for the demons acknowledge his existence and shudder. But they have no confidence that the Divine will save them.

This is somewhat of a tricky statement to respond to. I know not of any saved that do not want to be like Christ (follow in his footsteps). For certain it is in the nature of the saved to do good works. But if you set your heart on not doing any good works, oh foolish person, it would be better if you were never born. For doing good works is the purpose of believers, so that mankind can see our light and glorify our father in heaven.

I do not want to phrase it in the sense that good works is “required” for salvation, but that doing them (rather in the afterlife or not) is inevitable. For if you had faith that God will save you, wouldn’t you want to seek to please the Divine?

Complete submission to either the divine or the world.

You say, “or the world”, is an enigma to me, I do not understand what you mean. Why submit to this world? Why not God only? For what is worldly (apart from God) that is worthy to submit to?

What we do in this life has an effect on our life in the afterlife.

True. For if you do not acquire faith, it certainly can affect your afterlife.

Actions speak louder than words. If we truly wish to be disciples of
Christ, then we must not only declare our faith in the Lord, but to live
a lifestyle which is in accordance with Christ's lifestyle.

This is true if you wish to be a disciple of Christ you must acquire faith, but I think your confusing discipleship with salvation. A disciple is someone who seeks discipline in the teachings of Christ. True, the Disciples of Christ are saved, but discipleship is a much larger field then salvation. For Jesus taught many things that did not directly correlate to salvation but more towards statures pleasing to God (topics such as brotherly love, lust, oaths, even Taxes: “Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar and to God…”)

2 A lifestyle which is in accordance with Christ's lifestyle is

a lifestyle of submission or obedience to God's will.
A lifestyle of obedience to God produces good fruit.

3 Producing good fruit will make us righteous
in the eyes of the Lord.
Galatains 5:22-26

4 If we have a strong fear of the Lord, we will be
watchful of our conduct day and night.

Also those four things that you mention are more like benefits that the saved would acquire, but not necessary by which salvation comes through. The lifestyle, the fear of the lord, good fruit, righteousness, all of it.

If we truly wish to be united with our divine creator in the beyond,
we must have faith, and if we have faith, it will be beautifully
expressed by our conduct, or good works.

Yes I agree with you, good works will be beautifully expressed through faith. However I still stand that it is through faith we are saved, not by works. The idea being that you don't have any reason to boast, for the Lord doesn't like the boastful.

Buzzo

Pro

Changing of debate protocol
When I quote Gryephon's posts, I'll use the Cosmic Sans MS font.
When I quote Gryephon's statement headings, I'll make the color red.
My own statement headings will be shown in gray.
Whenever I quote parts of the bible, such as bible verses, I'll use New Times Roman, size 3.

Presentation of new statements
As a person who supports the 'faith + good works = salvation' mindset, I believe that faith alone is dead, while good works alone is dead.
I also believe that faith should come before good works.
Also, I have never implied, nor will imply, that we are saved by works alone.

God's grace is why we're saved, but God's graces are useless without our cooperation.
I'll explain in detail the above statement as I type.

Answering Gryephon's constructor

By Grace through Faith (Ephesians 2:1-9)
At first glance, Paul the apostle seems to be supporting a 'faith only' mindset, but lets read onward to Ephesians 2:10.

Paul said that we created in Christ to live a life of good deeds, which God prepared for us in advance.
(Another term for good deeds is good works.)

Ephesians 2:1-10 doesn't actually support the notion that faith alone saves us, it means to say that faith is the underlying reason why we are saved.

Faith alone won't save us. We must put our faith to good use via how we live our lives.

Likewise, Good works alone won't save us. The good works that will save us are the deeds which are manifested as results of our faith; the deeds which God specifically intended for us to accomplish.

Faith is of course the main component of salvation; the secondary component of salvation is good works, which are results of good faith.

In order to make use of our faith, we must live the lifestyle which God intended each of us to live by.
Psalms 139:16

By living the lifestyle which God has prepared for us in advance to live by, we are making use of the graces God has given us, and our obedience will motivate God to empower us with more graces.

Colossians 3:23-25
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. For the wrongdoer will be paid back for the wrong he has done, and there is no partiality.

The above bible verse indicates that God awards us for whatever deeds we do in this life.

Treat others the way you wish to be treated.

If we are righteous in the eyes of the Lord, we will be awarded. If we are wicked in the eyes of the Lord, we will be punished.

Grace is no longer Grace
This brings me to my 2nd point. In the opening statement, I said that God's graces are useless without our cooperation.

Examine Jeremiah 29:11-14.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.

We must cooperate with God's plans in order to actually benefit from his gifts.

God's ability to make us holy is limited by our ability to make ourselves holy via faith.

We ourselves must make the effort to enhance our own faith in order for God to be able to make us holy. In that sense, we must allow God to save us; he can't save us himself. We must fulfill our part of salvation by, not only accepting God's graces, but by using whatever graces we already have in ways that benefit the kingdom of God.

In order for our faith to actually be beneficial to the kingdom of God, we use manifest our faith via charity, love, and sacifice. All of this can be done because of God's grace, but we ourselves must accept the pressure of God's graces in our daily lives.

A case of salvation through Faith

The good thief in Luke 23:32-43 actually did perform a good work.

The good thief's vocal deed allowed not only Christ, but possibly onlookers who witnessed the thief's words, to realize his faith. He was saved; told by Christ that he'll enter paradise.

The bad thief made known his weak faith via what he said. Likewise, the good thief revealed his strong faith via what he said.

Our faith saves us, and that faith is expressed by our deeds, which enables God and others to realize the full extent of our spiritual fortitude.

Think about it; if the good thief's words made some of the onlookers realize that Christ is king, then how will those onlookers react?

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Acts 28:1-10 is another example of Matthew 5:16.
Actions speak louder than words.

Paul the Apostle proved his faith not only by mouth but by deed.

And this propels me to answer Gryephon's last statement.

This bible passage applies to the ones who perform good works just for the sake of pleasing themselves. There are differences between deeds that are done in obedience to God's will and deeds that are done to simply please our egos.

Look at Moses. He split the red sea, made water flow from rocks, build a bronze serpent to heal the poisoned, and instructed the Israelites to do good. All of these miracles are practically good works, ordered by God and done by God through Moses.

Moses managed to manifest all of these miracles because of his faith in the Lord. God can work through us, but only if we have faith, and we must nuture most of our faith ourselves in order to benefit from our faith.

How do we nuture our faith? Lets take another look at Moses. He prayed. Through God's answers, Moses gathered the faith to lead the Israelites to the promised land.

If Moses haven't prayed, then God wouldn't have been able to help him. God has handfuls of graces at the ready, but he can't release them to us until we draw close to him via both prayer and deed, via spiritual actions, which are results of faith, and by physical actions, which, depending on the intent, are spiritual actions in nature.

Answering Gryephon's rebuttal

Revision of definitions
Going off from my reply to Gryephon's last statement, there certainly is a difference between deeds done in obedience to God and deeds done to please ourselves.

A physical or vocal deed done in obedience to God's will is, in essence, a spiritual deed.

One who evangelizes to the non-believer via lifestyle is living a spiritual life via his physical flesh. Physical deeds done in the spirit are pleasing to God; encouraging him to purify us.

Matthew 16:24-28

I agree! Our deeds can be inspired by either God, Satan, or just the pleasures of the flesh. Deeds done in obedience to God's will is sure to please God.

We can either choose to draw close to God or move away from him.

It's not just about having faith, it's about living by faith.
According to James 2:14-26, what prevents our faith from being dead faith?

In the end, everything we do in this life leads to either our salvation or damnation. Our earthly ways are results of our inner perceptions; how we view God.

I'll quote a passage to supplement the verse regarding the production of either good or bad fruit.

Galatians 6:6-10
The man instructed in the word should share all he has with his instructor. None makes a fool of God. 1One reaps only what he/she sows. Sow in the field of flesh, and you will reap corruption. Sow in the ground of the spirit, you will reap everlasting life.

1 We are the farmers. The plot of land which we chose to sow is the lifestyle we chose to live by.

I answered this earlier, so scroll up, readers.

gryephon

Con

Presentation of new statements

Yes I agree with you in the sense that faith apart from works is probably dead, for I don’t think there are any saved that will not do them. For why would a soldier sign up for the army, yet plan on not doing any fighting? What person becomes a Christian, yet plan on not loving the Lord? I know not of any.

Works, righteousness, love, and fearing God is just all icing on the cake. I believe that they are all caused through our faith, but salvation is through faith not by works, works should follow.

Your confusing “purpose” with “salvation”. We are saved through faith, but the purpose of the saved is to do good works. When you say “faith + good works = salvation” I interpret this to mean if you die without doing a good work, you’re going to hell. I don’t think that is necessary true, for I think that if a man accepts Christ, but dies minutes later without having time to whip out a good work, there is still hope. I used the criminal on the cross as an example.

I don’t disagree with you that the saved will and should do good works, it’s just not what they’ll saved through. As I said,

Colossians 3:23-25
The thing is that it says, “knowing that from the Lord you will receive…” I think it’s telling it to people that are already saved, people that already have the reward. It’s saying because God is saving you, you should do good works. Not that you’re saved by them. Which I do agree with, you should do good works

If we are righteous in the eyes of the Lord, we will be awarded.
If we are wicked in the eyes of the Lord, we will be punished.

I prefer the term discipline when it comes to the saved, instead of punished. For when you and I do wickedness, it doesn’t necessary follow that we forfeit our salvation. Did not King David commit wickedness with Bathsheba? Yet do you think he is unsaved? No. But he was certainly disciplined.

Grace is no longer Grace

This verse is speaking in the context of Jews that went to Babylonian captivity for their rebellion against him. If you don’t do what is pleasing to God, He’ll probably discipline you by taking away many of your gifts. In this case of the Jews, it can mean losing some of your freedoms. While not necessary meaning losing your salvation. We SHOULD cooperate with God, for his disciplines can be pretty severe sometimes.

A case of salvation through Faith

When Christ said let your light shine before men, I know that he did not mean “Go, act like a criminal. Then get nailed on a cross so you can tell others about me.” The ‘thief’ as you call had no light, he had no honor. It would of made NO onlookers think that this man is King. The thief is more of the lowly of spirit, the humble, than one that has light to give to God.

All he did basically is just move his lips. That’s not what I’m picturing as a good work. I'm thinking of something bigger, like curing poverty, or curing cancer.

Miracles are works done by God, not by men. Moses won’t enter into heaven because of those miracles. None of them were done by Moses but by the power of God. For if Moses said those miracles were done by him, God would probably be very wrathful with him for Moses credits himself and not God. God parted the waters, God had the serpent heal, God made water flow through rocks, NOT Moses.

I do agree with you that there is a difference. I’m starting to wonder if the definitions for “good works” aren’t aligned with the Biblical definitions. For when the Bible talks about good works, I think its talking in terms of larger works that are good. Like curing cancer is a work that is good, but it may not necessary be done to please God, for all we know it could be done by the hands of a non-believer.

So in a sense Sola Fide is an accurate doctrine, if used by the biblical definitions. But probably not with the ones for this debate. You’ve defined “good works” in such a way that you’re almost saying that the thief did a good work by the things he said on the cross in front of the onlookers. If this is so, the definitions could accept works that are soooo weak, that by simply believing that God exists could be considered a good work. Isn’t believing in him something that pleases the divine? Paul was probably not talking about this when they were talking about works.

Still why say “Complete submission to either the divine (or the world).” Why not simply say “Complete submission to God.”

That is talking in the context of people that “live by faith” for some time, yet don’t do good works. “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” (James 2:14–17, ESV). If you have your heart set on not doing good works, your faith will probably not save you for it does have its limits. But if you die and are unable to do a good work in time (thief on the cross) I do believe there is hope.

The doctrine of sola fide as I understand is saying what salvation comes through. Though your faith. It is not a position that states you should not do good works, but by which it comes through. If you have faith, you should certainly try to do good works, fools don't.

Buzzo

Pro

Buzzo forfeited this round.
gryephon

Con

Extend My arguments.
Buzzo

Pro

Buzzo forfeited this round.
gryephon

Con

Opponent has forfeited two rounds, vote con.
Posted by Buzzo 2 years ago
Buzzo
Debating is so stressful, having to constantly review both sides of the table, examining the arguments and developing counter-arguments, ETC....

That's the nature of Debate.org and just debating in general!

I can't wait until this debate is finished. Oh my God..I forgot to add the the sources!!! Oh shet!!! Well, everyone knows that I used the bible anyway.....
Posted by Buzzo 2 years ago
Buzzo
@Gryephon

Your formatting skills are impressive man. You made your post easy to read and such.

I'll formulate a reply later.
Posted by Buzzo 2 years ago
Buzzo
@Schachdame

Ah, now I know what you mean by the 'overuse of line-breaks'. xDDDD It won't happen again.
Posted by Buzzo 2 years ago
Buzzo
@Schachdame and Defro

I'm the type of person who is used to strict rules. I guess it'll have to be dealt with, although I'll keep your advice in mind for future debates.

The font regulations and link-breaks are required; I hate reading walls of text.

I'll post my argument in a moment, Gryephon.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
Defro is right, there are too many regulations. Font regulations? And the overuse of line-breaks is also not really a good idea.
Posted by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
If I were you I would take out some of your regulations. To many restrictions will discourage people from wanting to debate you.
Vote Placed by philochristos 2 years ago
philochristos
BuzzogryephonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.