Faith is active and visible, not something that just occures "in your heart".

funnerisbetter has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Many people quote Eph 2:8 to say that we are saved when we believe, and no action is required on our part.

I find this contradictory to other Scripture.

I would challenge my opponent to prove that Scripture indicates no action is required on our part to fulfill the faith portion of the passage referenced above.

I, on the other hand, will prove that Scripture is very clear that there are certain actions commanded of us before we are united with the cleansing power of the Blood of Christ (saved).

Please do not accept this debate unless you believe in: the fundamental truth of the Word of God, our need for a savior because of our fallen nature, and that Jesus is that savior. Con may begin debate arguments in round 1 along with acceptance of the debate.

Thats a load of bullcrap. Prove it without the bible. Without coincidences.

Your argument is vulgar, and irrelevant. The debate is a Biblical debate. Without the Bible, the debate is meaningless. Please read my opening statements again, and if you cannot, or will not argue Con's given position, then don't accept the debate.
Posted by JonHouser 1 year ago
I said that "Many people quote Eph 2:8 to say that we are saved when we believe, and no action is required on our part." That belief is in conflict with Scripture. Eph 2:8 is not in conflict with other Scripture.

The actions we must take that lead to salvation, according to Scripture are to Hear the Word, Believe It, Confess our belief that Jesus is the Son of God, Repent of our sins, and be Baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for the forgiveness of our sins.

Yes, I do believe in the inerrant nature of Scripture. It is the inspired Word of the Living God, and even though It was written over a period of about 3000 years (give or take), It contains no errors or contradictions.
Posted by RonPaulConservative 1 year ago
Hi mac.
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Not sure what you men exactly but can you give examples what needs to be done before a person can be saved? And you said Ephesians 2:8 CONTRADICTS other Scripture. Are you saying the Bible has contradictions? As a Christian, do you believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God or do you think it has errors?
Posted by JonHouser 1 year ago
I believe that there are a few very specific acts that are commanded by Scripture that must be done before we are saved. But this debate is a little more general. I will be arguing that any action at all is commanded before we are saved, and not just as a byproduct of faith (although that is included in Scripture as well).
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Are you suggesting faith AND works are required for salvation? If that's the case, then I'd be happy to debate with you. Or are you suggesting that good works are a byproduct of true faith in which case I'd agree with you.
Posted by JonHouser 1 year ago

That may appear to be true, but the Bible was actually written by God. It was put on paper by men by the direction (inspiration) of God. There are no contradictions (even though there may appear to be). The apparent contradictions are the result of misunderstanding by humans. That Bible is its own best commentary, and you can always find the correct understanding if you have an open mind, and read every passage (in context) that refers to the topic at hand.

An example of this is the apparent contradiction between Gal 2:16 which says, "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ" and James 2:24 which says, "You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only." The key here is the phrase "of the Law". This is referring to the Law of Moses (the Old Covenant). Paul, in Galatians, is telling us that the Old Covenant Law is not capable of saving us; we are saved by faith in Jesus. James is telling us that faith is not inactive. He says that for faith to be alive (and therefore effective) it must be active and visible.
Posted by Capitalistslave 1 year ago
As pro stated, there are conflicting bible verses on this. This debate probably can't be won by either side, since if the Bible is the only evidence used, it literally supports both ideas. That's the problem with books written by multiple fallible men: they will likely conflict in message, and the Bible does so in many instances.
Posted by Iacov 1 year ago
I would like to accept this debate however I am not a Christian thus disqualifing me from the debate due to the terms set by pro and I will respect those terms.
A interesting thought. You suggest that in someway you must prove yourself to the Christian god before you can have faith.
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
strong belief in God/Gods or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms:religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"
As you can see the definition of faith makes no mention of any actions and I would argue that even though I have done certain actions in the name of my gods I would have faith in those gods had those actions not been performed.