Raya
love1626

Faith is good

Raya

Con

"Sometimes you just need to have faith" is something people say quite often. But I completely disagree. I do not believe that faith is not good in that it is not beneficial and can cause harm in many ways. For reasons that I will explain, It is much better for an individual to have a critical mindset with constant need for evidence.

Firstly, the issue with "faith" is that it involves blind belief that can often be detrimental. It means that a suicide bomber will have faith that he is doing the good thing and will go to heaven for it. It means that shiite muslims in pakistan with make themselves bleed brutally as a religion "celebration". It can lead humans to do especially brutal things when they fail to question their beliefs as seen with many religious maniacs today. If we encouraged our young ones to be the complete opposite of faithful and critical thinkers instead - they would analyze and question situations before they accept them and the world, in return, would be a much better place.

In fact, faith could also mean that we as a species, blindly believe what is right and wrong where the best conclusions come from using logical and critical thinking. Is abortion bad? Is homosexuality acceptable? Because of faith, quite a few people today would simply refer to the bible or what their parents taught them instead of coming up with the more valuable answer through logical reasoning.

In order to realize how pointless faith is - lets look at something that's the complete opposite :science. Science is a self-correcting process of ASKING QUESTIONS, experimenting and re-testing and it relies entirely on evidence. What has this gotten us? It has lead to innovation in engineering, cures for diseases and increased understanding and knowledge of ourselves and the world we live in. And faith - the complete opposite merely detaches individuals from the true reality and has done NOTHING beneficial.
love1626

Pro

Faith alone can`t stand, that`s the very reason why we incorporate WISDOM with it. Your examples about suicide bombers and Shiite Muslims in Pakistan are results of pure stupidity and not because of acquiring faith in your life. Faith should never be a reason to commit wrong doings.

Faith and rationality are commonly misconstrued to be two modes of belief that conflict each other, when in actuality faith is simply a belief, loyalty, or trust, and can be either evidence-based and rational, or blind and irrational. Rationality is belief or faith based on reason and logic.

Humans are considered to be rational thinkers that`s why having faith can`t cause any harm at all. This is our way of conforming our beliefs with our reasons to believe or the so-called FAITH. A rational decision is one that is not just reasoned, but is also optimal for achieving a goal or solving a problem.

Science is a product of faith. Scientists have the faith that there`s an explanation to everything that`s why science is a self-correcting process of ASKING QUESTIONS, experimenting and re-testing and it relies entirely on evidence. Why are they doing this? Simply because they want us to believe i them and thus, give them our faith.

Broadly speaking, there are three categories of views regarding the relationship between faith and rationality:
1. Rationalism holds that beliefs should be determined by reason and factual analysis, rather than dogma or tradition.
2. Blind faith holds that beliefs may be held without evidence or reason, or even in conflict with evidence and reason.
3. True faith embraces using reason, logic, and factual analysis as a rational basis for faith, and denies holding on to beliefs that have no evidence or reason, as in blind faith.

Using blind faith is not being a human. We know how to reason out that`s why we use true faith as one of our principles in life.
Raya

Con

First of all, I think its important to distinguish the difference between faith and trust. I believe,that they are two very different things through both definition and examples. For instance, when I sit on a plane, I do not necessarily have faith in the pilot but TRUST that in this day and age, I am in a developed nation in a developed airline where a pilot who has been trained to do his job is running the plane and that it is highly unlikely for anyone else to actually sneak in. It is not necessarily the same thing, for instance, as having faith in a invisible ten-legged creature with wings that I believe is watching over me at all times without any evidence whats so ever.

Indeed, as you point out, Faith shouldn't be a reason to be violent or stupid but unfortunately that is what we see today. Do you really think that if you sit with a suicide bomber,you can explain to them that they are taking away innocent lives? Would you be able to convince them how illogical they are being? It is only faith, in its blindest forms, that can lead a human to do such a thing. Yes, as you pointed out, it is stupidity but also stupidity as a result of faith.

The reason that faith and rational thinking often fail to go with one another can be seen as an example with many religions. In one of the first surahs of the holy Quran, muslims are strictly taught to believe in God and NOT QUESTION ANYTHING AT ALL. As you can imagine, if this is brainwashed into them from a very young age, they tend to lose a great deal of critical thinking skills.

I don't agree that science is a product of faith. They are two complete opposites. For example, if humans had faith that the earth is flat or that the milky way is a stream of milk from the breast of a Greek goddess, do you really think that we would have found the explanations we have today? Science is truly a result of questioning and not blindly accepting what you have been told or explanations as a result of superstitions.
love1626

Pro

love1626 forfeited this round.
Raya

Con

The fact that my opponent has forfeited the previous round demonstrates a lack of rebuttal that he/she has to offer. Nevertheless, I will continue to build on and re-emphasize on my substantive case.

Faith is a dangerous mindset because it involves beleiving in something with no evidence, and no justification. It means that we believe in anything just like that. My opponent has failed to not only refute my arguments but also prove why it is good and beneficial to delude oneself in such flawed reasoning and thinking. It contrasst with the scientific method, for instance, where its all about questioning and empirical evidence. I've already explained the many benefits science has given us in contrast to faith which has given us nothing except close-minded individuals and suicide bombers.

Once again, I would like to point out that belief in science does not require faith. It is all about empirical evidence, the very opposite of faith. I don't believe that my computer or airplanes work because I have faith in them but because there are physical and sicenfic laws that make them work. There have been many paradigm shifts in science such as the transition between newton's laws and Einsteins theories that demonstrate that science is not about dogmatically defending your beliefs but challenging concepts. In addition, scientist do not have faith in that we have explanations for everything and are ready to say "I don't know".

We often see that faith leads to individuals being close minded, not receptive to new better ideas that contrast with their faith and are not rooted to reality. Because of all these reasons and many more, faith is not good.
love1626

Pro

love1626 forfeited this round.
Raya

Con

I've already presented my case and all my arguments. It is now up to side proposition to complete his/her rebuttal (if that's going to happen at all).
love1626

Pro

love1626 forfeited this round.
Posted by Raya 4 years ago
Raya
No, that is for the proposition to make mainly because the concept of faith has always lacked evidence and made outrageous claims.
Posted by Naysayer 4 years ago
Naysayer
You carrying the burden of proof on this?