MTGandP
mongeese

Fallacy Debate: Marijuana should be smoked regularly by adults in the United States.

MTGandP

Pro

Inspired by http://www.debate.org...

Each person must argue the resolution to the best of their ability. But the catch is, each person must use as many logical fallacies as possible. The arguments vote should be given to the person with the best balance between persuasiveness and fallaciousness. To my opponent, please do not argue semantics or attempt to weasel out of the spirit of the debate.

Since sources are irrelevant, the sources vote should be defaulted to the winner of the arguments/fallacies.

Now to get on with the arguments.

========

It is vital that we legalize marijuana for the welfare of society. According to this poll (http://www.huffingtonpost.com...), 52% of Americans want to legalize it, while only 37% are opposed. The choice is clear. If we do not begin marijuana on a regular basis, the only alternative is to inflict great suffering on every man, woman and child across the nation. According to my uncle, who is a widely known medical doctor, marijuana has great health benefits. My great uncle, a world-renowned university professor, concurs. He believes that everyone should smoke marijuana in order to enrich their lives.

Marijuana is made from the cannabis plant. Plants have evolved side by side with humans; human bodies are designed to be able to use them. So you see, smoking marijuana is a very natural process.

Let me give an example. I had a friend named Jill. She was unhappy with her job and had become very depressed. So her doctor prescribed a daily smoking of marijuana. In no time, she felt much better.

Marijuana is great. Everyone knows it. The health benefits have been proven in laboratories time and time again. It would be absurd to even try to argue that marijuana is harmful. My opponent must be crazy to accept this debate. Someone who does not smoke marijuana every day is comparable to someone who does not eat every day. It's just not healthy. What kind of person could advocate that sort of lifestyle? Marijuana is great, everyone knows it. That much is undeniable. My opponent is going to have a hard time breaking down my impenetrable arguments based on flawless reasoning.
mongeese

Con

Thank you for starting this debate. I am sure that it is going to be very enjoyable.

Here are some reasons why adults in the United States should not smoke marijuana regularly:

1. I said so.

2. Every person who has smoked marijuana in the United States so far has been a criminal, so smoking marijuana regularly would turn all of America into criminals.

3. Barack Obama said so, and he is always right, because he promises hope and change.

4. If all adults in the United States didn't smoke, then they'd all give that money to charity, because that is what Jesus would do.

5. If all adults in the United States didn't smoke, whatever they bought otherwise would be taxed, which transfers money to government, and we all know that government is the best place for money to be kept, because acer said so here (http://www.debate.org...), and acer is a straight-A student who built a robot, so all things he says should be accepted without question.

6. If all adults in the United States did smoke, the policemen would be forced to arrest themselves, and criminals would run mad on the streets robbing everything every hard-working American ever owned in our proud history.

7. Marijuana sounds funny.

Let's look at my opponent's arguments:

All of my opponent's arguments are unreliable, because he is an atheist, and all atheists are immoral.

He argues that polls are reliable, but they are not, because the Founding Fathers limited the power of the common man with the Electoral College, so they think that the common man is an idiot. Therefore, the poll is an argument against legalization of marijuana.

My opponent's relatives must also be unreliable, because they are related to an atheist.

Everyone knows that marijuana's sole purpose of evolution was an attempt to remove all humans from the face of the Earth to save the whale. Don't be so ridiculous.

My opponent cites a story about his friend, Jill. However, Jill is a character from a storybook (http://en.wikipedia.org...(song)), and all storybook characters are silly, so Jill is silly, and her story cannot be trusted.

My opponent calls me crazy. However, one has to be crazy to call somebody else crazy. Therefore, my opponent is crazy, and cannot be trusted.

My opponent compares eating to smoking marijuana, but there is obviously a tremendous difference, because "eating" starts with "e," and "smoking" starts with "s."

My opponent has exaggerated before, as seen here: http://www.google.com...
Therefore, he must be exaggerating now, and all things he says cannot be trusted.

I have shown my opponent to be completely unreliable, so anything he says must the tossed out, no questions asked.
I have shown why only an idiot would smoke marijuana, ever, so don't be an idiot. Vote CON!
MTGandP

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Remember not to vote for my opponent. He is but a Bible thumper. If he believes the Bible is true with no evidence, how can he possibly make a case against marijuana? He will continue to fail to use evidence.

My opponent's case lacks fluidity. Would you vote for such a person? Of course not! In fact, all of his reasons actually argue FOR the resolution. Obama, for example, is never right. He promised hope and change. But since he has failed to deliver, he clearly never will. Do not place stock in our president. Marijuana is great, and everyone knows it. There is no use trying to hide from the truth. My opponent would have you run away from the cold hard facts; the law dictates that we learn the truth about marijuana. So listen to me. Listen to me and you will enter a euphoric paradise filled with puppies and dancing.

Why is marijuana so great? Well, people love it! Everyone knows that marijuana is great, so they all try their best to fall into a deep loving relationship with marijuana.

Let me demonstrate an amazing statistic for you. It has been proven by hardworking scientists that increase in marijuana usage leads to decrease in poverty worldwide (http://www.ted.com...). This alone is enough reason to smoke marijuana on a regular basis.

God is an amazing being. He thinks that you are a great and wonderful person. But if you do not smoke marijuana like He demands, He will eternally punish you. So it is vital for your sake that you smoke marijuana daily.

Now let's examine my opponent's case. He has a clear motive: he wants to preach the Bible to you! That is his sole purpose! Do not be swayed by this irrational investment. My opponent actually believes that there are talking snakes. How silly! Would you listen to such a person? Of course not. Richard Dawkins never would, and he is an expert on life.

The idea that marijuana is bad is an old and outdated one. Get with the times: join my side. All wealthy people know that marijuana has healing powers. Come to think of it, so do all poor people. You, the middle class, must join them.

Smoking marijuana is a long and glorious tradition. People have been doing it for generations, and they all know the wonderful benefits. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all lived is a magical paradise all the time? And what if marijuana could achieve this paradise?

Let us look at the origin of the belief that marijuana is harmful. It related to the slavery of the Africans. The Africans discovered marijuana, and the Europeans wanted to cast down the Africans by casting down marijuana. They spread the idea that marijuana is harmful and wrong. But in fact, it is a symbol of liberation.

You may realize that Con's case really comes down to "vote Pro!" So no matter which side you agree with, vote for me.
mongeese

Con

My opponent makes a case against the Bible. That is because he is an evil, immoral atheist. Don't listen to him. He obviously has no morals, and will make you do bad things. Listening to an atheist is like burning down your town!

Obama is obviously always right. My opponent's lack of faith in Obama is clearly an example of his immorality and insanity. Obama has delivered, yet he denies it. Fool!

My opponent dares to cite the law, when the law states that marijuana is a criminal offense. Why? Because it makes you evil, which is bad. You don't want to be evil! If you listen to my opponent, you must first believe that you are a monkey. And you are not a monkey!

People love marijuana, but not for the reason my opponent claims. No, people love it because the people who smoke marijuana become idiots for them to laugh at. Don't be one of the idiots for the people to laugh at!

My opponent sources scientists, but everyone knows that scientists are all evil, immoral atheists, who use their power to make you do what benefits THEM, at the expense of YOURSELF! Don't fall into their trap! Don't! They'll bite your head off!

My opponent claims that God supports marijuana, when he is in fact against it. God only placed marijuana on this Earth to test people's ability to resist temptation of evil. Don't fail God's test! You will suffer eternally if you do!

My opponent thinks that I think that there are talking snakes. That is preposterous! There was only one talking snake, ever, and his name was Satan. My opponent's misinterpretation of my case shows how unreliable he is.

Marijuana is bad. The idea is not outdated. It recently came back in style! The lack of my opponent's knowledge of recent events only furthers the fact that we must not listen to what he says!

Look at how my opponent tempts you with marijuana! He claims paradise, but he hides the true fact: if you smoke marijuana, you become his slave! Floro Sprouts [1], in fact, are made of marijuana! And if we all become his slaves, he will have us do work so terrible, nobody dares to speak of it! He calls marijuana a tradition, but that is false, because... I have green hair!

My opponent is completely clueless as to marijuana's history. The Africans did not discover it! They planted it and let the Europeans take it away, hoping that someday, the Europeans would smoke it intensely, only to die in revenge. Don't fall for their evil scheme!

I know that the little voice in your head is telling you not to smoke marijuana. Listen to it, for it is wise!

My opponent has ultimately demonstrated nothing but his own cluelessness and unreliability. He cannot be trusted. He is crazy. Voting for him would be betraying your family's honor, and your great-grandfather does not wish for you to do that. Don't! Your only hope to save yourself is to vote CON. There is no other way to save those poor, innocent hostages in Iraq!

1. http://www.mariowiki.com...
MTGandP

Pro

The Bible is such an old book. It is not to be trusted. Only an utter fool would believe it. Are you a fool? I thought not. No man would refuse to smoke marijuana unless he was too rich to know that it's good for him. If marijuana is made illegal, it will cause a chain reaction leading to the destruction of all life as we know it! Don't you understand? If marijuana is made illegal, freedoms will be restricted. The children of America need their freedoms! Why would you rob such a thing from the poor, helpless children? But on the other hand, if you smoke marijuana every day, you will free the children from their burdens. You will be the most honored person in the world. But if you do not, you will surely die.

I said that my opponent believes in a talking snake. Just one. But NO snake can talk, since I've never even seen one.

God told me that he does double tests sometimes. Therefore, God only placed marijuana on earth to test the people who think they are being tested. The real test is to smoke it. Sort of like sex. Marijuana is a lot like sex: it's tons of fun and has great practical results. But let's stop talking about God. No one can even DEFINE God, for God's sake.

Hitler didn't smoke marijuana. Hitler killed people. It is clear that all murderers also do not smoke marijuana and all people who do not smoke marijuana are murderers. Haven't you seen all those people on the news who murder people and don't smoke marijuana? Global warming stopped in 1998. This is God's way of saying that we should smoke marijuana.

100% of people who do not smoke marijuana eventually DIE. It is a terrible fate that they reach. Only through marijuana can we be liberated. Some drugs have negative consequences, but marijuana is different. Marijuana is great. Everyone knows it. There is no use denying it. If you deny it, that makes you an undead monkey. You don't want to be an undead monkey. Why does happiness exist? Marijuana! What makes the grass green? Marijuana! These are objective observations; my opponent's subjective ramblings should be ignored.

Read the proof for Fermat's Last Theorem. It clearly proves that marijuana should be smoked regularly. My opponent must not only negate the resolution, but he must also disprove Fermat's Last Theorem in order for him to receive the vote. Notice that my opponent can be directly quoted to have said "smoke marijuana." Even he advocates for my case. I ask my opponent: When you rejected all morality, were you smoking marijuana? I didn't think so. I remind the reader of the correlation between marijuana and utter bliss.

My opponent has not made any arguments contrary to my position (actually he's helped my case). Since there is no contrary evidence, I am the obvious victor. My opponent advocates suffering and pain. I advocate happiness and glory. The choice is clear. Vote Pro.
mongeese

Con

My opponent is only trying to convince you to fall into is oh-so-devious trap.

He has not denied that he is only advocating the use of marijuana in order to enslave the world's population for his own greedy, tyrannical gain. Therefore, it must be true!

My copy of the Bible is not as old as my opponent. Therefore, you would be more of a fool to believe my opponent than to believe the Bible. Only druggies smoke marijuana and druggies are idiots, because I know one druggy, and he's an idiot. Don't be an idiot. Don't smoke marijuana.

My opponent is arguing against a law that has been in place for longer than you can remember. How dare he!

My opponent argues that marijuana gives rights, even though he plans to use marijuana to strip every human being of every right he or she has ever known! Notice how I acknowledge women, and women's rights. That means that I am a great, fair person, and you should listen to me.

If you smoke marijuana, you will surely die. If you smoke marijuana, your family name will rot into pieces.

My opponent is an atheist, and yet he claims that he talked to God. He contradicts himself. Therefore, all things he says must contradict reality.

I don't smoke marijuana, and I am smarter than a person who does smoke marijuana. Therefore, smoking marijuana makes you dumb. Don't be dumb.

My opponent lies again. There was one man who never died, and never smoked marijuana. If you smoke marijuana, you guarantee your own death, as the only man who escaped death did not smoke marijuana.

Marijuana is different in that it sounds funnier and more stupid than other drugs. Don't smoke marijuana. Smoke Advil. At least it sounds cool.

My opponent is a blabber-mouth, and all things he says are therefore false.

I just read Fermat's Last Theorem. However, my opponent forgot to translate "io," which means "not" in Fermatish. It clearly proves that marijuana must never be smoked. My opponent has set himself up for failure. You're not supposed to believe failures, because they fail.

My opponent cites a correlation, but he is wrong. The correlation is between marijuana and loss of all control over your freedom.

I would like to remind everybody that my opponent is an evil tyrant, who plans to use marijuana to enslave every man, woman, and child on this Earth. Smoking marijuana is only furthering his conquest for evil. Smoking marijuana would be like robbing your best friend. My opponent wants to strip you of everything you possess. Don't let him do this!

Notice how my opponent makes no response to what I say here. Therefore, my opponent has obviously conceded, as he can think of no possible way to refute my points, because there is no way. Don't vote for the loser. Only losers vote for the loser. Vote for the victor. Vote CON, as only by voting CON will you survive the evil tyrant known as MTGandP.
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 8 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
>> "ignorant shepherds from 2000 years ago"

My favorite is:

hashish-crazed, sun baked primitives who thought the wheelbarrow was cutting edge technology...
Posted by Ragaxus 8 years ago
Ragaxus
For sure. In fact, it can be seen as fundamentally disrespectful towards oneself, given that by suspending logical analysis of the world for ethical consideration in favor of dogma, one surrenders oneself to the whims of a. ignorant shepherds from 2000 years ago and b. the corrupt institution that interpreted them, completely destroying one's own autonomy.
Posted by MTGandP 8 years ago
MTGandP
Even though it was a joke, I still do not see the Bible as a legitimate source of morality. Believing something simply because a book told you to could not be considered moral, just as being nice only to avoid the threat of Hell could not be considered moral.
Posted by Ragaxus 8 years ago
Ragaxus
That's the first time I've heard someone make an attack on their opponent's moral legitimacy because they DO believe in the Bible.

I love this site.
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
Just so you know, you're only supposed to give five points to the person who you thought won, unless you thought that one person had poorer conduct and/or grammar.
Posted by haley.debate20 8 years ago
haley.debate20
I think Pro won.
--Mongeese didn't have a good structure in round 1. But it did make me giggle a lot. :)
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
However, as we all know, MTGandP is an immoral atheist tyrant who cotradicts reality, so his numbers cannot be trusted.
Posted by MTGandP 8 years ago
MTGandP
Hey, I have the three most recent debates!

RFD
Conduct: Tie
S&G: Tie
Arguments: Pro - Pro had 45 unique fallacies and 66 total fallacies. Con had 20 unique fallacies and 52 total (that I counted). Pro's arguments were somewhat stronger.
Sources: Pro - See arguments.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
lol @ mongeese's reasons in R1.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
"Marijuana is a lot like sex: it's tons of fun and has great practical results."
lol
Vote Placed by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by M.Hernandez 7 years ago
M.Hernandez
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by Kirke32 7 years ago
Kirke32
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by ChloeAva 8 years ago
ChloeAva
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by JSquires 8 years ago
JSquires
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 8 years ago
patsox834
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by MTGandP 8 years ago
MTGandP
MTGandPmongeeseTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
MTGandPmongeeseTied