gad22
TheUndersigned

Fallout 3 (pro)vs. New Vegas (con)

Started: 3/19/2015 Category: Games

gad22

Pro

Fallout 3 and new vegas, though very good games, I feel that 3 is superior even though it is an older game. With a better story, gameplay, and locations, fallout 3 will be superior for years to come
TheUndersigned

Con

Both games are great and have brought the Fallout series to new heights. However, Fallout New Vegas is a superior game due to its general graphics, game-play, and story.
I have played both, and Fallout 3 crashes much more than NV. Although you may seem like this doesnt entirely relate to it being a "good game," it is very important to the gamers. A great game can easily become very annoying after a couple crashes. Some people don't have this problem, but I think that this is something that needs to be brought up.
In general, Fallout NV has more locations and lore than 3. People may dislike the fact that it doesn't take place in DC, but it shows that the franchise is expanding more and more, and this game was the first big step.
Fallout NV expands on everything. From guns (the feel and sound) to the further growth on leveling up(new perks and skills). Even new modes like the Hardcore mode, which creates a more immersive experience.
Fallout New Vegas expands on everything that Fallout 3 did, and more.
gad22

Pro

First off, thank you for accepting my challenge.
You claim that 3 crashes far more than new vegas while I have had more issue with new vegas crashing than with 3, so in that department they both are equal. On the topic of weapons I would agree that new vegas is superior. As you can see in my picture I am a fan of both games, which made picking a side difficult. My choice for three came simply from the mood of the game and the setting of the two.
First, in New Vegas, the mood is to be set in revenge which, for the beginning it works. The further you progress in the story however the mood and the gameplay no longer work together. In 3 however, the entirety of the game is dark and gives a feeling of loneliness and a constant drive for survival. As you progress from losing your father to fighting against the enclave at project purity, overall color choice does nothing but make the mood even more pronounced.
Secondly, after a nuclear war you would expect large amounts of destruction and damage to the world, as we see in fallout 3 with the city of Dc in ruins. In New Vegas we basically get the Mojave desert. That's it. No true signs of massive damage. I also would like to disagree with you on account of locations between the two games. Due to 3 being a larger map and being set in and around DC, it has more locations.
Also to say that new vegas expands on lore, the original games took place on the west coast and the NCR has been a focal point in previous games. 3 expands more on lore for showing what the other cost of the country has become falling the war. If I am not mistaken, 3 also added the commonwealth and the institute, which, if rumors are true, will be a major portion of the next fallout game.
TheUndersigned

Con

I would like to thank you for creating this argument and allowing me to debate.
you stated that the storyline and mood is why fallout 3 is superior. However, fallout new Vegas an even greater form of 3. NV has a sense of desperation and survival. I agree that the desolate DC is more impressive than the Mojave wasteland, but NV is better in the interaction and people. The simple feel of everyone struggling to survive. Every step you take you feel it, and you have to make a decision that will impact everyone.This is seen in Goodsprings vs powdergangers, Great Khans vs NCR in Boulder city, The Kings vs NCR. Caesar's crusifixions created a horrifying atmosphere, more than any of those metro stations in Fallout 3.
Each city that you pass makes you delve into the world of the wastelander. There are so many sidemissions along the way. Also the choices you make are so impactfull and common. From choosing to help the bright followers to killing Mr. House yourself, you are in control of the New Vegas's future. There are some decisions in 3, but they pale in comparison to NV. This is where true RPGs shine, in the ability to create your own character and choices.
gad22

Pro

However in 3, the story is very smooth and easily understandable. From living in the vault to your father leaving to the awesome "ending" at the battle of project purity. In nv the story is relatively odd. One moment you are a courier who, because of what you are carrying, is shot in the head. When you kill Benny you are suddenly and for no apparent reason dropped into the middle of a war. This didn't flow. If there was an explanation the story would have been much better. Also to say that there is more of a sense of struggling to survive in nv you must have competent forgotten the extremes people have gone to to fight for survival. I present to you underworld. A city of ghouls that is basically falling apart. They are in such a struggle that during outside of their city could kill them, due to how close the brotherhood of steel is to them. And you claimed that decisions are more great in nv, and, while there re may be more none are quite a big of choice as whether or not to blow up (quite literally) megaton.
Caesar's crucifixions are far too few to claim that they provide a more horrifying experience than the metros. Also I find it hard to be afraid of something in the middle of a bright, sunny desert. The only place you can really find horror in nv is if you look into game lore at line wolf radio. There is almost nothing besides lone wolf radio that is "scary" in nv. In Fallout 3 we have the serious seclusion of the metros and the (shudders) Dunwhich building. I personally feel both games are great and ask that sets 3 ahead is the mood in which the locations create.
TheUndersigned

Con

I will admit that Fallout 3 is a darker experience. However, Fallout NV is a better experience.
First of all: quantity! According to HowLongToBeat.com, F3 main story lasts 25 hours, while NV lasts 29.5 hours. In addition to longer playtime, NV contains multiple storylines and choices. complexity is not bad. It creates a richer experience And more than 3 times of replayablility simply due to the choices. Only at the end are there choices in the storyline, and that one decision has little impact. The F3 storyline is linear, with no real choices that are crucial for any RPG.
NV has 183 locations instead of the 163 locations in F3. The size of the map is irrelevant if it doesn't have enough content in it.
The Underworld was a very good example, but that was one example. The war taking place in DC was high-tech organized military armies fighting against eachother. The Mojave is filled with unique factions fighting eachother for few resources and power in this wasteland. you may think that Rivet City and Megaton are also good examples of the desperation, but NV has so much more. Nipton being burned down, with crucified powdergangers all around. Caesar's main base is a bunch of makeshift tents surrounding a battle arena! Even the prestigious casinos are run down. Every building and interaction evokes a feel of everyone just trying to make it.
gad22

Pro

gad22 forfeited this round.
TheUndersigned

Con

TheUndersigned forfeited this round.
gad22

Pro

I am sorry for not having been here yesterday and Saturday. I would like to end my argument by stating simply that, with the broken steel dlc the end of the game is extended into infinity. Yes you can debate that, it being dlc it is not an original part of the game and had to added later, it still increases the game time significantly. Also to say that NVs story is longer is almost nill if a story doesn't make sense. To go from being a courier to suddenly being a key point in the war is far too rapid and, should it have been smoother, would have made a better game. Also to touch on NV having more locations, although it may, many are empty and have very little to offer the player. One is a ruined shack with nothing more than a radio.
I thank you for accepting my very first challenge and must say you posed a significant challenge, but if you will claim a game that is rather small and rather barren even with its amount of locations is better, then I feel that this debate is very near to its close.
TheUndersigned

Con

TheUndersigned forfeited this round.
Posted by Koupo275 1 year ago
Koupo275
I want to debate you, But I am afraid that do not have the time to do so because of school.
Posted by SargonOfAkkad 1 year ago
SargonOfAkkad
I prefer the atmosphere and tonality of Fallout 3, but I also enjoy the aesthetics of NV.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
I love both! They are so much fun. I personally preferred New Vegas, but not enough to debate against fallout 3...