TheElderScroll
Beginner

Famer's debate tourney, TheElderScroll VS Beginner Round#1

TheElderScroll

Pro

In honor of our beloved member, famer, I, TheElderScroll, would debate Beginner on the issue concerning the existence of Karma.

Resolution
Karma Exists.

Position Taken
Pro: TheElderScroll
Con: Beginner

Rules
In deference to famer"s recommendations, the following rules would apply throughout the debate:
- 8000 Max Characters
- 3 Days Per Argument
- 2 Weeks Voting Period
- 4 Rounds:
- 1st Round: Rules, Definitions and Acceptance
- 2nd Round: Opening Arguments ONLY
- 3rd Round: Rebuttals ONLY
- 4th Round: Defense, Final Rebuttals and Conclusions
http://www.debate.org...

Definitions
Karma: The total effect of person"s actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person"s existence, regarding the determining the person"s destiny.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Additional Information
Please refer to http://www.debate.org...

May both of us enjoy the debate and let"s begin.
Beginner

Con

In this debate, PRO is to prove the existence of karma.

Definitions
The definition of 'Karma' provided, linked off of thefreedictionary.com, should run thus:

"1. Hinduism & Buddhism The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny."

(My opponent obviously has some aversion to 'ctrl c' & 'ctrl v'.. the definition typed above fails to replicate the site's definitions correctly)

Aside from the explicit fact that Karma is a Hindu/Buddhist concept, this definition needs further elucidation. What exactly does it mean by successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny?
Here is a definition from the Oxford Dictionary (the best of dictionaries):
"(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences."[2]

Future existences imply reincarnation. The successive phases of existence are the previous 'lives'. The idea is that karma is based on actions performed in the past and is a factor in deciding a person's fate in future existences, or incarnations. Karma and reincarnation are buddhist/hindu concepts[1]. Under such context, the definition should run thus:

The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the. . [previous]. . phases[, or incarnation,] of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny [or future & future incarnations].

By employing this definition, my opponent sets out to prove not only the existence of karma, but also all the conceptual implications inherent within its religion-derived definition (such as reincarnation). First, my opponent must establish Hindu/Buddhist principles as fact. Only then would the existence of the subsequent concepts of karma & reincarnation be firmly validified
To prove Karma's existence, pro would have to establish the legitimacy of Hinduism or Buddhism.

I look forward to my opponent's presentation.

[1] http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu...
[2] http://oxforddictionaries.com...
TheElderScroll

Pro

Apologies. I realize that I will have to forfeit this debate. The upcoming exams proven to be very difficult and I could not gather enough time to finish off my opening statement.

Although I hate to forfeit a debate, I may have to follow the path that would lead to my shameful defeat.
Beginner

Con

I understand the importance of prioritizing academics and will accept my opponent's graceful retreat.
TheElderScroll

Pro

Thank you for your understanding. May you win the trophy eventually.
Beginner

Con

In another medium, my opponent proposes a rematch round for the tournament. Sure!
I will however expect the new match to have the exact same parameters (meaning copy paste round 1 for pro&con).

Good luck!

(So.. tied?)
TheElderScroll

Pro

I will be more than happy to propose a rematch in coming days. All rules & definitions would remain the same. I will be sending you the challenge soon after I end my journey in the "world of nightmare."

A tie would be a favourable choice to me. But I also respect the voters' choice.
Beginner

Con

A tie would be just.. I wouldn't feel right winning this way.
Just send me the challenge whenever you're ready.
Posted by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
@ sbaik610
your will, my hands =)
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Resolved: Pro really got the short end of the stick in this debate! Arguing the urban dictionary version of Karma would've been hard enough--"The Buddhist belief that whatever you do comes back to you, e.g. if you do something good, something good will happen to you, and vice versa."
Vote Placed by sbaik610 4 years ago
sbaik610
TheElderScrollBeginnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Your wish is my command
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
TheElderScrollBeginnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: nm, tie
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
TheElderScrollBeginnerTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was more or less a cancelled debate, and both sides requested a vote of "tie".