smarterthanmost
Veridas

Family Guy has an explicit liberal agenda that ruins the show

smarterthanmost

Pro

I know what you may be saying, why worry about a topic such as the one I have provided. I feel that family guy is being ruined by Seth McFarlane and his liberal agenda he tries to throw into every joke in the episode. I am a conservative and this isn't meant to offend any liberals out there, or anyone for that matter, just a topic I've wondered about for a long time. I can off the top of my think think of a few instances of such an event. There is an episode where Meg becomes a super religious Christian and tries to convert her family to it as well. Brian is an atheist. You all who haven't seen this episode may simply say so what, however, Seth McFarlane feels that it necessary to shove his atheistic beliefs down our throats when we are simply trying to be entertained. He has Christians burning books such as logic for first graders, and has Brians atheist view lead to the episodes revolution. I know that's not specifically a liberal issue, but you understand my point hopefully. Now this is a liberal point. In an episode where Stewie and Brian travel back in time to Nazi Germany, they talk about Germany having weapons of mass destruction. Stewie questions why the United States doesn't stop them, which leads to Brian looking at the camera and saying because they don't have oil. Now that one annoyed me, but there was another one. The two of them along with Mort Goldman steal some Nazi officer uniforms, and they have a McCain Palin button on them. Now this is supposed to be a satire show, but it clearly is written with the beliefs of liberals. If anyone disagrees and says that it simply just appears that way, feel free to say something. This is just a fun debate, not a political death match
Veridas

Con

I chose to take this argument not based on the idea that Family Guy is a Conservative show, it most definitely isn't. I chose to take this argument because my opponent seems to believe that Seth McFarlane doesn't have the right to express his opinion through his own show.

My opponent stated "I feel that family guy is being ruined by Seth McFarlane and his liberal agenda he tries to throw into every joke in the episode"

Family Guy currently has eight seasons and 142 episodes in total, as well as the various feature-length productions. All in all if you were to watch the entire Family Guy anthology you'd be sitting there for roughly 290 hours. My opponent desperately wants to give you the impression that that 290 hours would be nothing but anti-Conservative jokes.

My opponent, it seems, is unwilling or unable to accept the fact that a show designed to entertain can call upon political humour or humour related to current issues. This isn't Seth McFarlane looking out of the television screen at you and screaming "Conservatives suck!" This is merely a man who is expressing his freedom to his opinion.

Oh, and the show was originally hosted on, funded by and on several occasions censored by Fox. The very same Fox that spends pretty much every waking moment on it's news programs or pundit shows talking about how Obama is sinking the USS United States.

Family Guy isn't even the first show to really do this, The Simpsons have offered numerous mock endorsements of Fox, criticised more than one Conservative politician and has mocked Family Guy too. South Park often has the character Eric Cartman holding Conservative of Fascist views (depending on the episode) only to have them thwarted each and every time, at one point directly parodying Rush Limbaugh's criticism of Obama.

It's not new, it's by no means prohibited, and Conservatives aren't the only ones being mocked. Family Guy has more stones than most, mocking countries, political entities, religions, historical events and entire social sects.

Quit whining and suck it up. Nothing is being "shoved down your throat" if your self esteem is so low that light-hearted mockery of your political views reduces you to this then don't watch the show.

Seth has a right to parody whoever or whatever he pleases. If you mocked Obama only for him to suddenly say that you couldn't, you'd be in uproar. It works both ways, it's called Freedom of speech. I believe you guys hold it in quite high regard, such high regard in fact that you went and wrote all about it on some historical document which was then called The Bill of Rights which is part of the Constitution, and so important was it that it was the very first thing they put on this document, the first amendment, the first right granted to all.

Man up.

Bill of rights: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Family Guy details: http://en.wikipedia.org...
smarterthanmost

Pro

Ok i see what you mean, although not stated nicely, i understand the problem you have. I am not saying that Seth doesn't have the right to voice his opinion, just that a satire show should have jokes that are spread around. I understand a few conservative jokes here and there, but if you ever watch any scene with Brian in it there will be some liberal views expressed. Conservatives can take a joke just like anyone. I say that family guy should take the south park approach, make fun of views you think are stupid but also make fun of some jokes you agree with. I understand that there is also other jokes attacking others in it, but here is my main point. The conservative cracks are the most obvious insults in the series. I admit that family guy is getting more liberal as the series go on, i just think that the writers should spread the jokes to make everyone happy and make everyone laugh
Veridas

Con

Its jokes are spread around. As I said before, 142 episodes plus the feature length stuff. Unless each episode each has at least one anti-conservative joke then your entire argument is nothing but aimless whining.

"Conservatives can take a joke just like anyone."

Apparently not.

"I understand that there is also other jokes attacking others in it"

It's not an attack, it's parody, mockery, at the very worst you could call it light hearted.

"The conservative cracks are the most obvious insults in the series"

Because you feel they're aimed at you, because you feel like the victim, the most obvious insults are always the ones aimed at you, it's human nature to notice it more when they're being mocked than when something else is being mocked. It doesn't mean there really are more jokes about your beliefs than anyone else's and it most definitely doesn't mean that you have the right to sit there and say "you can't do that, waah waah waah."

"I admit that family guy is getting more liberal as the series go on, I just think that the writers should spread the jokes to make everyone happy and make everyone laugh"

Who isn't laughing? Oh, right, you are because it's dared to mock your precious political views or your religious beliefs (because an all-powerful deity can't appreciate something like humour and needs you to defend him, right? right?)

Seriously, if it annoys you, don't watch it. I'm sure if Conservatives can take a joke then there must be some Republican comedy show on somewhere.
smarterthanmost

Pro

You take this very seriously don't you
Veridas

Con

I just watched you sit there and, with a completely straight face, tell every member of this website that you could not be entertained by a show because it occasionally mocks your political party of choice. I watched you hypocritically use your freedom of speech to oppose your American first amendment, and I watched you do so in a format that enabled you to challenge the entire website to prove you wrong.

You're damn right I take this seriously, this is bigger than Family Guy or Republicans, this is about simple, basic rights, the rights your country was founded on, the rights your country had to fight against mine in order to procure, the very rights you are using to try and deny them to someone else. Yet here I am, once your enemy in the name of freedom, having to explain to you your own Constitution which at time of publication was one of a series of insults against my country that we took as akin to rubbing salt in a wound.

I take this very seriously, and to be quite frank, you sicken me.
Posted by Tryx 6 years ago
Tryx
Although I disagree with smarterthanmost that the liberal jabs at conservative topics ruins the show, I disagree more with the tone in which Veridas debated his point. An intelligent, repectful approach can not only win an argument, it can also change minds. At the very least you and your opponent can agree to disagree while understanding each others' points. Flaming, calling into question the intelligence of someone who disagrees with you, or just plain being a jerk will actually harm your position, and cause undecideds to sway to your opponent's view. This debate is about wether or not the "explicit liberal agenda ruins the show", not about free speech; in fact, smarterthanmost was merely exercising his right of free speech to state that it did ruin the show in the first place. You cannot argue the right to free speech while simultaneously condemning others' right to exercise theirs. On an aside, it's been my experience that when I talk to conservatives (not Republicans necesssarily), they are much more willing to hear others' viewpoints than their liberal (always Democrat) counterparts. Maybe pausing for a second to actually think about why someone wouldn't share you viewpoint would be beneficial to the debate; if you do that, you can intelligently counter their arguments without coming off as someone who scoffs at someone who would DARE disagree with them.
Posted by infam0us 6 years ago
infam0us
... but part of the burden is whether or not it ruins the show. i would definitely say there is an obvious liberal agenda but does that ruin the show? given FG's popularity and the recent trend of liberalism, i'd say no. the burden was not proved which is why i deemed a con vote far more fitting.
Posted by innomen 6 years ago
innomen
Andy Rooney is a "Conservatist"?????? Not even sure what that means, but he is far from being a conservative.

Smarter-you were fine. Anyone who said 'to be frank you make me sick', is a little over the top and isn't one to judge humor.
Posted by Angeles 6 years ago
Angeles
Anyone seen the latest southpark?

But seriously (none of this is serious) who cares? Seth McFarlane is a democrat and Andy Rooney is a conservatist so what?

If you're upset you're not paying to watch Family Guy, or do you?... f**k all p.c. US citizens :)
Posted by smarterthanmost 6 years ago
smarterthanmost
some of you may be curious. this was my first debate so i wanted to see how things here worked, thats why i didn't post anything third round
Posted by innomen 6 years ago
innomen
Can you imagine the outrage over a parody of Obama? Funny how it wouldn't be so funny.
Posted by tBoonePickens 6 years ago
tBoonePickens
Pro just treated the debate like a chat in the comments section; con did more or less the same. Although I agree with pro that Family Guy has an explicit liberal agenda that (sometimes) ruins the show, I voted tied for all the other attributes.

Seth McFarlane is known to be a big time liberal. Just check out his appearances on talk shows like Real Time with Bil Maher (another big time lib.) The show's humor isn't always centered on putting down republicans or conservative views & promoting liberal views BUT it does do it quite often. I think that you'd be hard pressed to find an episode that didn't either put down conservatism, praise liberalism, or both. However, it is a funny show, is immensely popular, and has the ratings to show for it. I don't always appreciate the liberal agenda but I think that the show suffers more from its monotonous structure: trying to shock the audience and the all too familiar tangential plots. This is where far more creative shows like The Simpson excel at.

Also, South Park is more in the middle of things politically, but if anything it leans to the right more than the left. Yes Cartman is a prick but the liberals (like the hippies he hates) are made to look even stupider than he. Watch America: Team Police. Did that have a liberal slant? Nope. The problem is that a liberal will look at Cartman & think he's a stereotypical conservative when in fact, he's nothing of the sort.
Posted by Pwnu059 6 years ago
Pwnu059
ahh Veridas, well on political terms i hate you but u are right on Predator could kick MC @$$
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
@infam0us, Con should have won the debate, because Pro's case was weak. Con should have said the show wasn't ruined because so many people liked it, given examples of successful apolitical gags, demanded statistics to show that Pro's allegations were significant, and so forth. Instead of debating the topic, however, he kept claiming it was a free speech issue. That was not the issue, so Pro's weak contentions went unchallenged.

This sort of thing happens fairly regularly in ddo debates. One side gets so carried away in declaring the topic outrageous or on some peripheral issue that they forget to debate the issue.

The meaning of "explicit liberal agenda" is clear. If someone doesn't understand the words, the meanings are in the dictionary. The words are used in their ordinary meanings.

Infam0us, your reaction that if I don't like it I shouldn't watch it shows that you have also mistaken the issue. For example, I think Jon Stewart is funny. He has an explicit liberal agenda, but it doesn't ruin the show. The debate topic was about whether The Family Guy was ruined by it's agenda.

Incidentally, I think Pro should have proposed the resolution, "The Family Guy is too ideological." Then he could have argued that the show could be improved by trimming some of the ideological excesses. The counter argument, of course, is that excesses make it funnier.
Posted by ALBi 6 years ago
ALBi
"explicit liberal agenda" -- I can here Google going now as people try to figure out just what that means.

The point is, Political Parties & preferences are for Lemmings.
Stop fearing the unknown and following the crowd.
Think for yourself and do what is best for ALL.

Get over yourself and your so called Cult (Party).
Vote Placed by laiken905 6 years ago
laiken905
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by Tryx 6 years ago
Tryx
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by Lovebotlass17 6 years ago
Lovebotlass17
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by smarterthanmost 6 years ago
smarterthanmost
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by innomen 6 years ago
innomen
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by Pwnu059 6 years ago
Pwnu059
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by tBoonePickens 6 years ago
tBoonePickens
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by sidobagga 6 years ago
sidobagga
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by infam0us 6 years ago
infam0us
smarterthanmostVeridasTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
smarterthanmostVeridasTied