Kingtruffles
rwebberc

Family Guy is MUCH better than the Simpson's.

Kingtruffles

Pro

I consider "Family Guy," to a large extent, much more superior than the "The Simpson's," because its account of comedy that is much more natural, humorous, unique, and original. Additionally, I find ‘The Simpson's" to be more of a family friendly show, which implies the humor to be a lot less enjoyable for those who are a little bit more mature. In this statement, I imply that these jokes can be enjoyed simply by an Eight year old, but will irritate those who enjoy a much higher standard of humor. An example for those who don't want to waste mindless hours of their life hearing and watching jokes that amuse an eight year old, I suggest "Family Guy!"☺
"Family Guy," shown on adult swim, TBS, fox, and my20fox, is much more hilarious and can be enjoyed more by adults than children. The humor exposed by Family guy is enjoyed by many ages, around 13 years of age and up. Funny quotes such as "Did you hear that Meg? Guys can marry other guys now. So...this is awkward, but I mean, if they can do that, that is pretty much it for you, isn't it? I mean you might as well pack it in. Game over." Where as in "the Simpson's," a quote is "Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does." In my opinion, that is lame and unquestionably not amusing. For the reasons stated in the above sentences, I believe "Family Guy" is a much more advanced show than "The Simpson's."
rwebberc

Con

The Simpsons is a far superior television show to Family Guy. The Simpsons has become an icon of American culture. Time Magazine named it among the 100 greatest TV shows of all time, TV Guide named it the 8th greatest TV show of all time, it is about to surpass Gunsmoke as the longest running show of all time, and the list of accolades simply continues ad infinitum.

My opponent states that The Simpsons is less mature than Family Guy. The Simpsons, in fact, pioneered the adult cartoon. When The Simpson came on the air in the 1980's, animated shows were considered only for children. The Simpsons turned that idea on its head and paved the way for other shows such as The Critic, South Park, and especially Family Guy. While Family Guy's jokes generally have no connection to the plot, The Simpsons routinely skewers American culture with a social commentary that has been recognized by many as simply genius. While it may be true that the Simpsons appeals to a wider audience than Family Guy, that in no way makes it a lesser show than Family Guy. While The Simpsons often tackles significant issues head on, such as the decline of our public schools or the effects of alcoholism on families, Family Guy has routinely been criticized for being base and crude.

Family Guy also consistently loses out to The Simpsons in the "mature" 18-49 demographic in the Nielsen Ratings

This is why The Simpsons is a better show than Family Guy,
Kingtruffles

Pro

I vastly disagree with your poor judgment of "Family Guy vs. Simpson's." I return to my earlier quote from "The Simpson's Movie," of "Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does." Do you honestly think that is amusing? To add to my disagreement, Family Guy has won awards for the following;
• 2000: Outstanding Voice-Over Performance – Seth MacFarlane for "Stewie Griffin"
•2002: Outstanding Music and Lyrics –Walter Murphy(composer), Seth MacFarlane (lyricist)
•2007: Outstanding Individual Achievement in Animation – Steve Fonti (storyboard artist)
The show has also been nominated for nine Annies, and won twice, both in 2006. The show has also been nominated for a Golden Reel Award three times, winning once.
Additionally, The Simpson's have been decline in their ability to achieve a high standard of quality. For example, in 2004, Harry Shearer criticized what he perceived as the show's declining quality: "I rate the last three seasons as among the worst." For those who don't know who he is, he is a fabulous comedian/ actor. Following this, Family Guy also has an extensive list of famous actors/ actresses, who appear on cast. A list includes, Seth MacFarlane, Alex Borstein, Mila Kunis, Randy Jackson, Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, (all in one episode), Adam West, Diane Simmons, and much more. Also, my opponent states that "The Simpson's" is more mature than "Family Guy," but yet the best quote they can come up with is "Marge: Homer! There's someone here who can help you...
Homer: Is it Batman?
Marge: No, he's a scientist.
Homer: Batman's a scientist?!
Marge: It's not Batman!"
You can not honestly say that's amusing. So to my readers, do you think that repetitive jokes that amuse an 8 year old, lack of humor, and no originality is funny?
For the reasons, and facts, stated above, I dislike "the Simpson's" and enjoy "Family Guy"
rwebberc

Con

"The show has also been nominated for nine Annies, and won twice, both in 2006. The show has also been nominated for a Golden Reel Award three times, winning once."

Nice stat. The Simpsons, on the other hand, have been nominated for 29 Annies, winning 24, as well as 5 Golden Reel nominations, winning once.

While you may not think that that one line from a ninety minute movie was funny, I find it rather comical that you continue to hinge your argument on that fact. That is simply a five second clip from a series that has been running for over 400 episodes. Consider this quote from Family Guy's Ali Williams: "Who wants this dog?!" Out of context that's not particularly funny at all, but that has no relevance in this argument. Your claim is that Family Guy is funnier "because its account of comedy that is much more natural, humorous, unique, and original."

First let's deal with unique and original. Family Guy has been accused by numerous critics of simply being a copy of...THE SIMPSONS! I think you would be hard pressed to find many serious comedy writers who have any respect for Family Guy. It is regarded much the same way that serious musicians view the Ying Yang Twins.

As far as the show being more humorous, lets look at the opinions of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park and two people who many people would agree have a pretty good idea of humor. When asked what the meanest thing anyone ever said to them was, they responded "When people say to (us), 'God, you guys have one of the best shows on television. You and Family Guy.' That fucking hurts so bad" They say that they hate the show because it relies too much on gag humor instead of jokes that are inherent to a story or deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangeable joke after another. (This latter description was paraphrased from a rant by Cartman about why he hates Family
Guy)

Kevin Smith, writer and director of such films as Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks I and II, and Mallrats, is a self-described Family Guy hater. He describes it as poor writing due to its heavy usage of pop culture references and offensive humor, and calls it "Emmy-nominated sh*t".

"Additionally, The Simpson's have been decline in their ability to achieve a high standard of quality."

Family Guy has NEVER achieved a high standard of quality! Entertainment Weekly named it the worst show of the 1999-2000 season as well as the 2001-2002 season, describing it as an "awful show they just keep putting on the air". This same publication named The Simpsons the best TV shows of the 1990's.

"Following this, Family Guy also has an extensive list of famous actors/ actresses, who appear on cast."

You're making this too easy. The Simpsons is in the Guinness Book of World Records for Most Guest Stars Featured in a Television Series! I have clearly refuted all of your main points, while making a solid case for the Simpsons, backed up by statistics and experts. The Simpsons is clearly the better show.
Kingtruffles

Pro

First off, stop stealing the words I use such as "additionally." Second, although the Simpson's have won more awards, they have been aired on television much longer, thus, more time to be nominated. Furthermore, your only proving my point of more mature by saying the humor is "crude," I said earlier in my argument family guy is for MATURE people, I would expect a 21 year old such as yourself to watch and enjoy jokes that are more for your age groups, than nasty, idiotic, pile of crap jokes that amuse little kids. Yea, sure "spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does" only took up 5 minutes of the film, but yet, those freaks say that one stupid little line over and over again? I'm making this too easy? You should be asking yourself the same question! Nobody I know likes the Simpson's! At least Family guy can make some good jokes! You need to get out more and meet people who enjoy REAL television, not 21 year olds who watch "the Simpson's!" Come on! My friends little sister who is 6 watches the Simpson's! Yet, my cousin who is 21 watched the Simpson's movie, fell asleep, came home and but seasons 3 and 4 of "Family Guy!" You only gave a tremendously small amount of critics, who criticize Family Guy. And don't give a lame excuse that it is crude, because frankly that's what America's people like! Funny, crude, watching people do dumb things, yea the dumbest thing on "The Simpson's," is the show itself. Face it, we all hate the show, we all love Family Guy, and you're failing miserably trying to prove it's humorous. Nice try but family guy is better.

(P.S.- Look I already got a comment, he thinks I'm better.)
(P.S.S.- did you get a comment? no you didn't, this only proves how much better family guy is.)
(P.S.S.S.- HAHA)
rwebberc

Con

Let's review your arguments thus far:

"your (sic) only proving my point of more mature by saying the humor is 'crude,'"

In this statement you are conceding that Family Guy's humor is often quite crude. The American Heritage defines the word crude as follows: "Lacking tact or taste; blunt or offensive." Do any of these descriptions imply maturity to you? In fact, it would appear to be quite the opposite.

"Nobody I know likes the Simpson's!"

That's great, but hardly relevant since I already pointed out that more people watch The Simpsons, according to the Nielsen ratings.

"My friends little sister who is 6 watches the Simpson's!"

Once again this is a nice story, but irrelevant. She can watch any show she wants, but that doesn't mean she understands the nuances or subtle social commentaries. Simply because The Simpsons is more diverse and appeals to a wider audience doesn't make it less mature. In fact I would argue that that would make it a better show, which is what we're arguing in the first place.

You continue to bring up the Spider Pig line from The Simpsons Movie. Since we're making that fair game, I think I should point out that the movie had an 88% rating on RottenTomatoes.com, with 153 out of 173 reviews being positive, an astoundingly high number. This once again points to the wide appeal of The Simpsons. Then movie set numerous box office records, including highest opening weekend by a non-CG animated film and highest opening weekend by a movie based on a TV series. It ended up grossing over half a billion dollars worldwide.

"You only gave a tremendously small amount of critics, who criticize Family Guy." I would argue that three sources is significant, especially given their standing in the entertainment industry. You on the other hand haven't provided any significant critics besides yourself and your friend. (Click here for MAD magazine's take on the "originality" of Family Guy, I think you'll see something quite interesting... http://en.wikipedia.org... ) Oh, and let me know when one of the characters on Family Guy is Entertainment Weekly's Entertainer of the Year (Bart Simpson, 1990).

"Face it, we all hate the show, we all love Family Guy, and you're failing miserably trying to prove it's humorous."

I'm not sure who "we all" is, but I can assure you that given the awards it has won, the longevity of the series (Family Guy has already been cancelled once), the millions of people who tune in each week to watch it, the ten Emmys it has won, and the billions of dollars it has brought in for Fox, you are quite wrong in that assumption. Unless of course, "we all" refers to you and your friends, who are the only sources you've cited so far.

Finally, your most telling argument: "And don't give a lame excuse that it is crude, because frankly that's what America's people like! Funny, crude, watching people do dumb things, yea the dumbest thing on "The Simpson's," is the show itself."

This seems to be your reasoning behind why Family Guy is a better, more mature show. Aside from the fact that I have already pointed out that this is plainly untrue, seeing more Americans watch The Simpsons than Family Guy, and prominent American magazines such as Time have named The Simpsons as one of the greatest shows of all time; this argument simply doesn't tell anyone why Family Guy is "better". More Americans went to see Beavis and Butthead Do America than went to see Braveheart, Silence of the Lambs, or Schindler's List, yet the latter three are among the best movies of the past few decades. As always, the problem is with QUALITY not quantity. Your above argument appears, therefore, to be a non sequitur.

The Simpsons' parody of the average, middle-class, American family. The show portrays the good, such as the Marge's unconditional love for her children, as well as the bad, such as Homer's constant remedying of his problems at the local tavern. The reason the Simpsons has such a broad appeal isn't because it's not mature. It's because it's so wise and spot-on in it's satire of American life that everyone can relate to it. Whether young or old, white or black, rich or poor, The Simpsons offers entertainment that will speak to you on many levels. That, not being "crude" or showing "people doing dumb things", is the mark of a great show.
Posted by cheekyhobo 9 years ago
cheekyhobo
The pro should have his mouth washed out with soap for speaking such blaspheme! Or at least wash his dirty hands!!!
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
I think PRO shot himself in the foot when he introduced the matter of the Family receiving awards and nominations. His back up argument on this (whcih was that Family Guy has merely been out longer) was insufficient.

He should not have bothered attacking the Simpsons movie giving it's high success.

As the the CON points out, the humor in Family Guy is low grade and the PROs opinion based arguments do nothing to change this.

These were my main reasons for voting CON.
Posted by sethgecko13 9 years ago
sethgecko13
rwebberc -

You did an excellent job. It's a difficult topic to debate (especially when one has an affinity for both sides).
Posted by stilldirrtyja 9 years ago
stilldirrtyja
As an unbiased reader of this argumenr (I am a fan of both shows), I don't think there can be a dispute over who won this argument: rwebberc. He proved his case with facts and statistics. Truffles merely restated the same fact that Family Guy was "mature."
Posted by rwebberc 9 years ago
rwebberc
I realize there's no objective way of determining this, so I basically just tried to disprove Truffles' claims while adding a few of my own points based on the premises he had already established
Posted by sethgecko13 9 years ago
sethgecko13
I love Family Guy, but there's no way one can reasonably say that it's better than the Simpsons in any objective way (especially using the metrics Kingtruffles is using like awards).

First off, Family Guy was canceled twice. The Simpsons has been on the air consistently since 1989.

Second, sure, Family Guy has a lot of celebs (especially in small cameos that are funny for the fact that the show is popular enough among celebs that they'll do one or two lines virtually uncredited). The Simpsons, however, is a cultural high-water mark that defines celebrity status; if someone appears on the Simpsons - it's officially a measure of their significance in US pop culture.

Third, it's true that the Family Guy hasn't been on as long as the Simpsons (which is a good reason to withhold judgment) you can average the number of awards per year to compare. Of awards of any type that each show has won (as listed on IMDB):

- The Simpsons: 68 awards over 18 years which is 3.56 awards/year.
- Family Guy: 6 awards over 6 years which is 1 award/year.

If you do the same for nominations (again, as listed on IMDB) it breaks down like this:

- The Simpsons: 69 nominations over 18 years which is 3.83 nominations/year.
- Family Guy: 16 nominations over 6 years which is 2.27 nominations/year.

Fourth, being a more family-friendly show is leveled as a criticism of the Simpsons - but I think it's actually one of the reasons that it's better than Family Guy. I could easily argue that the Simpsons is just as subversive and adult as Family Guy - and yet it is able to do so with the family-friendly veneer which is much harder.

Fifth, right now with the Writer's Strike going on (and I back the Writers all the way - I hope they win) - Family Guy could potentially take a turn for the worse because Fox announced that it's planning on doing the next season of Family Guy without Seth McFarlane.
Posted by Leonitus_Trujillo 9 years ago
Leonitus_Trujillo
This should put the debate to rest.

Family Copies the Simpsons case closed.
Posted by rwebberc 9 years ago
rwebberc
PS I like Family Guy a lot, too, but please vote based on the arguments presented, not which show you like better.
Posted by Kingtruffles 9 years ago
Kingtruffles
lol thanx griff, i hope ppl come to their senses and like family guy better
Posted by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
Go Kingtruffles go! unless rwebberc picks up the pace a little I think you should have this one in a bag! Also Rwebberc needs to watch what he puts out there foul language is against debate. com' s policy. "'God, you guys have one of the best shows on television. You and Family Guy.' That fucking hurts so bad" They say that they ha..."
Vote Placed by marin24 8 years ago
marin24
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by rwebberc 8 years ago
rwebberc
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by bojmax 9 years ago
bojmax
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 9 years ago
Killer542
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by paul_tigger 9 years ago
paul_tigger
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by coutinho 9 years ago
coutinho
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by scottynewins 9 years ago
scottynewins
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by kristiepomeroy 9 years ago
kristiepomeroy
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied
Vote Placed by mahjonga 9 years ago
mahjonga
KingtrufflesrwebbercTied