MasturDbtor
acidman

Famlia is a bad thing

MasturDbtor

Con

I will wait for Pro to post his argument first. I am trying to get someone to argue seriously that "family" is a bad thing and that we shouldn't have families.
acidman

Pro

Family is a bad thing because it places a limit on who I can have sex with, and sex is wonderfully, amazingly, blissful. I want to have sex with 4 girls, each at separate times, and I want one of them to be my cousin, because that's okay in my culture.
MasturDbtor

Con

But you could possibly start a family within an open marriage. You could even marry your cousin in an open marriage if that's allowed in your jurisdiction or just not get married but live as a family anyways.

Without a family how will you pass on your DNA and continue the glory of evolution?

Family also provides many opportunities to get to know a person very very well. It implies a deeper sort of connection. You get to know each other's flaws, quirks, everything but not literally everything as there can be privacy in families.

And that doesn't just have sentimental value as this deep connection may help you to better understand and analyze human beings and their relationships and apply that to the work world or what ever you are trying to do with people in your life.
acidman

Pro

Open marriages are immoral because they blur the lines of what is real and what is not. Marriage is said to be about commitment to one person as your other half, and this is the case even in an open marriage, but in an open marriage you share something private (your body) with everyone. Furthermore, in an open marriage, your many sexual partners have unequal bond with you, because one of them is your spouse.
MasturDbtor

Con

Yet a family need not even involve marriage of any kind.

You can have a family of 3 friends.
You can have a commune/family of 20 people.

It's about the bonds of familial affection among the family members. Depending on the values and ideals of the family it need not be sexually repressive.
acidman

Pro

acidman forfeited this round.
MasturDbtor

Con

MasturDbtor forfeited this round.
acidman

Pro

acidman forfeited this round.
acidman

Pro

acidman forfeited this round.