jrrjacques
daisypuppy

Fanaticism of The Lord of the Rings

jrrjacques

jrrjacques

Pro

This is the second one I have started. Now please respect my preferences. You must be really a fanatic or extremely enthusiastic about Tolkien in order to take up this debate. This person who accepted my last challenge did it to make a joke. I laughed but I am seriously looking for some sort of true competition. I will now repeat what I said for the original debate.
I am willing to assume that I am the most fanatical about John Ronald Ruel Tolkien's mythopia on this website. I believe I know more about it than anyone else (with the exception of being able to speak any of his languages). I would love to see someone beat me so I know I am not a loner on this subject.

In the first round you must state
1. approximately how long you have been a fan.
2. what books you have read and how many times.
3. what nationality you are.

I have been a fan from a young age 6 years, 1month, 21 days, and 16 hours since I finished the Trilogy. I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings 6 times, The Silmarillion 2, The Complete History of Middle Earth 1 1/2. The Unfinished Tales 1, The Children of Hurin 2, and The Tales from the Perilous Realm 1. I am an American born on the west coast but now lives on the east coast. I now leave it to whomever tries to outdo me. jrrjacques at your service.
daisypuppy

Con

I am very enthusiastic about Tolkien, and I have outdone you. I have been a fan for around eight years. I have read the Hobbit fifteen times, the lord of the rings trilogy seven times, the Silmarilion 3, Complete History of Middle Earth 4, Children of Hurin 1, tales from the perilous realm 2. Asian born on west coast, living on west coast. daisypuppy at your service.
jrrjacques

Pro

jrrjacques forfeited this round.
daisypuppy

Con

daisypuppy forfeited this round.
jrrjacques

Pro

My dear Mr. daisypuppy, I admire the amount that you have read and trust when I write that if my school work and personal reading goals, I would have read at least as much as you have. I do not doubt your fascism but I still hold I have a greater zealous love for this world than any other on this website.
I do not wish to just read LotR and be amazed over and over again at its complexity, I do that and I wish to know its core and its mysteries. I have developed theories of LotR of which Tolkien does not write about and Christopher has not explained. I have outlined his stories looking for comparisons and how this fascinating storyteller formed his languages and developed his stories. I wish to see the evolution of characters, families, and entire continents. For example of this did you know Feanor asked Galadriel thrice if he might have a single hair of her head that he might turn into a treasure that was equal to the silmarills? Later she commanded Gimli to tell her his wish for what kind of gift he might ask of her. Gimli responded by saying that he desired just a single hair of her locks. Galadriel gave him three. See the connection. I have made multiple discoveries of how every part of Tolkien's mythopia (by the way he created this word to be used to describe his world (it has also been used to describe Star Wars and Star Trek)) is constantly integrated in almost every way the only other book that I know of to have such an effect and such an intricate and fluid story is The Bible. I have made other discoveries as well (though I know others have seen them before I); such as, the Blue Mountains west of the Shire are what is left of the eastern mountains of the Ossiriand (The Land of Seven Rivers). I have made other discoveries as well but!... the point I wish to make is that every time that I make these discoveries I am overjoyed and then am motivated further to discover more.
Also to help myself visualize several scenes that Tolkien describes through his stories, I create pictures of them out of pen, pastel, pencil, or just whatever happens to be convenient at the time. They are for my personal satisfaction. My model for Tolkien lore and love Is Christopher Lee (the actor for Saruman). He has read the books over 50 times (The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillian) and speaks Elvish fluently. I am working on the learning of Tolkien's languages when my schedule allows. I have rambled on for three hours to my best friend about without allowing to say anything. When National Geographic did a special on Tolkien I was constantly pointing out their terrible errors in their speculations. I talked for six hours with my sister and we covered all of it and my theories. I have also traced the Geographical evolution of Ea. That is to say I have mapped out Ea in different stages in its history and how it evolved into todays world. For that is what Tolkien's world is, a mythology for Earth. A new religion almost (but not intended to be so).
My esteemed voters who is the more fanatical? Mr. daisypuppy I eagerly await your post.

jrrjacques at your service.
daisypuppy

Con

daisypuppy forfeited this round.
jrrjacques

Pro

I will wait with the patience of Fangorn and the eagerness of Pippin for my esteemed adversary to make his reply.
daisypuppy

Con

daisypuppy forfeited this round.
jrrjacques

Pro

Knowing my opponent to be a fanatical Tolkien fan, I can assume that he has been unable to reply. I will not even consider that he has quit the debate. So I beg you voters to also not consider this. Thank you. jrrjacques at your service.
daisypuppy

Con

daisypuppy forfeited this round.
Posted by jrrjacques 2 years ago
jrrjacques
I have tried my best to get a hold of his books (Including Farmer Giles of Ham.) but since they are not in demand in my area, I am unable to do so, though I have tried as hard as one mortal can.
Posted by jrrjacques 2 years ago
jrrjacques
I am sorry for not being able to post my debate for I was delayed in reaching internet access in time. Although this debate is about fanaticism about Tolkien we have to prove it through debate. I had ask for those certain statistics so I can know a little background and knowledge on my opponent. For though you have been a fanatic longer than I have I still believe I can outdo you. I await your 2nd round post.
Posted by daisypuppy 2 years ago
daisypuppy
@ jrrjacques: I'm sorry if I haven't made it clear; I am Asian-American, and I live on the West Coast of America.
Posted by Chrysippus 2 years ago
Chrysippus
@ jrrjaques: You've never read Farmer Giles of Ham?
Posted by emile1472 2 years ago
emile1472
I'm nowhere near your level of enthusiasm for Tolkien, but love the Tolkien world and have grown up with the books etc.
I do feel that I have some strong links to the Tolkien world as I live in New Zealand, and was born in South Africa where he was born.

Look forward to observing :-)
EM
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
jrrjacquesdaisypuppyTied
Reasons for voting decision: "So I beg you voters to also not consider this"....I'm sorry, but nothing else matters. FF rules. And pro had much more proof.