TheOrator
rnick50

Fandom Debate

TheOrator

Pro

I saw a debate like this a while ago (http://www.debate.org...), and I liked the format. The rule is, after the first round (which is acceptance), i post a fandom and why it's valid. After that my opponent posts a fandom they believe is better and shows why, and I counter that, and so on and so on. For example: "Wizards of Waverly Place is good because..." "Harry potter is better because..." "Star Wars is better because...", etc.
rnick50

Con

I'll accept, I need to do few debates.
TheOrator

Pro

Fandom 1: V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta is a valid fandom because it is masterfully transitioned from it's anarchistic comic book state to a libertarian movie, with only one discrepency as far as I can tell. Aside from it's transition, the action scenes are captured perfectly in a batman-esque way (meaning V is a normal human who just happens to kick villian (insert DDO censored word here)). Furthermore, it projects the dangers of an authoritarian world, and shows the value of independant liberties. This political involvement adds a whole new level of depth to the movie, allowing it to be a great fandom
rnick50

Con

Vendetta vs Fight Club

Fight Club was a masterpiece with great acting, good fight scenes, and shows the dangers of lawlessness. Contrary to V for Vendetta, it shows a city where police seem to be too slow to act to counter the efforts of The Protagonist and his split personality, Tyler Durden.

While Vendetta shows the dangers of an authoritarian world, Fight Club shows the dangers of a world where criminals can work and spread faster than the police. The whole premise being that the men are trying to put everyone back on an even playing field and are able to indoctrinate new recruits in a cult like fashion.
TheOrator

Pro

Star Wars V Fight Club

Where Fight club asserts Communistic values (rejection of material possessions, everybody is equal, eliminating debt, etc.), Star Wars provides positive moral values such as selflessness and the downfall of tyranny while still showing action scenes in the terms of lightsaber duels and full-scale battles between armies with advanced technology. It also provides the use of "The Force" which is a factor that flows through us all and the Jedi harness to their advantage.
rnick50

Con

Click vs Star Wars

While Star Wars provides the moral values stated above, Click also shows the dangers of neglect and the need to focus on helping those around you. While it begins as a somewhat light hearted comedy, it eventually turns into a dramatic tale about a man who missed his entire life and neglected his family to focus on his career.
TheOrator

Pro

Rise of the Planet of the Apes-V-Click

Although the comedy of Click may tell people to live their lives and value those closest to them, RPA provides a statement about an actually controversial topic: Animal Rights. It not only shows how Apes are intelligent and shouldn't be treated as mindless beasts, it also delves into the neglect an improper care in Ape care centers, while all the while building an analogy to the rise of the Roman Empire AND creating the prequel to a world-reknowned classic film. Plus some of the main characters in the movies were animated simians, which on average hold more acting talent than Adam Sandler.
rnick50

Con

The Graduate vs Rise of the Planet of the Apes

The Graduate was a true coming of age film. It delved into the topic of whether to find true love or succumb the pressures of society. It shows the life Benjamin Braddock being seduced by a married woman and falling in love with her daughter after being explicitly warned he was to have nothing to do with her.

The ending scene where Benjamin and Elaine (the daughter) escape the church and make their way to their new lives helped encourage many young men and women to rebel against their parent's interests in favor of their own wants and needs.

About Adam Sandler's acting, I'm not even going to attempt to refute that.
TheOrator

Pro

Dead Poet's Society-V-The Graduate
I'll counter your coming of age movie with another great one: The Dead Poet's Society. Although the Graduate's main struggle just comes from the problems that arose from sleeping with some crazy woman, the Dead Poet's Society covers teenagers who also have to come to terms with their coming of age, but also their individual ideas and how they contradict the ideals of their upper-class families and educators. The struggle is so hard that it drives one of the boys, Neil, to suicide. The time leading up to the suicide and the scenes immediately afterward are, in my opinion, some of the most heartwrenching in Cinematic history.
rnick50

Con

Slumdog Millionaire vs Dead Poet's Society

While Dead Poet's Society is a tragic film, it doesn't quite send that feeling of hopelessness that is portrayed for the majority of the film Slumdog Millionaire. In contrast to the wealthy characters in DPS, Slumdog Millionaire gives us a deeper look into subjects such as street children, poverty, and discrimination.

The story follows the life of an Indian boy named Jamil. IN his life, he has to deal with his mother dieing and him, his brother and their friend are forced to become beggars and nearly mutilated by a man for the sole purpose of earning more money. Along the way, Jamil has to deal with issues such as being treated poorly due to being a street child and his brother betraying him. Along the way he has to resort to criminal activities just to support himself and stay alive.

Although with all of the tragedy surrounding him through the story, he manages to finally find a way to be with the girl he loves and strike it rich by guessing the correct answer on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. The whole story gives off the feeling that no matter how hard life is, you can always pull yourself through it with effort.
Posted by rnick50 4 years ago
rnick50
I'd like to thank my opponent as well, it was a nice change up from the arguments I usually get into.
Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
TheOrator
I'd also like to reiterate that the voting for this is over all the clashes as a whole, not just the last one :) Overall, I had fun and I'd like to thank my opponent for taking it up.