Philosopher_King
Rational_Thinker9119

Farting is perfectly natural and you should be able to fart when around your wife or girlfriend

Rational_Thinker9119

Philosopher_King

Pro

I am tired of all of this superficial, uptight view on basic bodily functions. Fart and you might as well have slapped someone. Ok, if at a cocktail party... show some restraint. However, this idea that I have to walk out of the room to fart when with my girlfriend is ridiculous. C'mon everyone grow up.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Passing wind can really kill a sexual mood. This may make your wife/ girlfriend feel like she is not sexy if you do not even care enough not to fart in her presence. Also, farting releases a foul, unpleasant odor that nobody really wants to smell to be honest. I think your best bet is to not cut the cheese around your wife/ girlfriend. It is only proper etiquette.
Philosopher_King

Pro

As far as sexual mood. We can't be 24/7 on 'sexual mood' alert. This isn't realistic. For the fella or the gal. You gotta just live and be you. Yes you have to work at keeping the romance alive in a relationship but what I am arguing about is the conflation of a fart into an 'oh my god' situation which I think is rooted in some social conditioning that is not merely experiential. I fart and now I am not getting any?

What I am plumping for is some wiggle room between two people that know each other well so as to let some of this petty stuff go.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

"As far as sexual mood. We can't be 24/7 on 'sexual mood' alert. This isn't realistic. For the fella or the gal."

Perhaps. However, you will still be disrespecting her. If she does not want you to, you should respect that. Even if you do not, it is simply proper manners. Either way, there is no good reason to think you should fart in front of your wife/ girlfriend. Why not just avoid that?

"You gotta just live and be you."

Some of the worst people in history have lived by this principle. This is not a very compelling "ought" argument from my opponent.

"Yes you have to work at keeping the romance alive in a relationship but what I am arguing about is the conflation of a fart into an 'oh my god' situation which I think is rooted in some social conditioning that is not merely experiential. I fart and now I am not getting any?"

Yes, because it is rude. It stinks, and makes an unpleasant noise. There is no good reason why you cannot leave the room. I would be embarrassed if I farted in front of my girlfriend. Even if you are comfortable with someone, I do not find that a convincing reason to run around and fart around her.

"What I am plumping for is some wiggle room between two people that know each other well so as to let some of this petty stuff go."

If it so petty, then why start a debate about it? Don't you think it would just be easier to, I don't know, not fart in front of your girlfriend, especially when you know she does not like it? You want to make her feel sexy, like you still care about what she thinks about you, instead of just looking at her as someone you are "used to". When you fart around her, she will feel like you are not trying anymore like when you first met, and her self-esteem will lower. I do not blame you her for holding out on you. Stop cutting the cheese around your lover. It is deflationary to the ego, and you should be not proud of accomplishing such a feat.

The resolution has been negated.
Philosopher_King

Pro

You are starting your argument from 'her' view. Fair enough. I am asking however to be philosophical and think beyond 'her' view for a moment. Think about the universal "fart moment".

Think objectively and question where her reactions are coming from. Are they hers or conditioned? By doing such you can help both yourself and your gal overcome these issues with your farting.

I say this because I worry your position is: It is wrong because she doesn't like it. Really? Is that your answer? You should feel embarrassed? Why can't she laugh it off? No harm, no foul - except for some odor (pun intended). Perhaps a 'grow up' from her or a joke etc.

What you have brought up however that is quite illuminating, is 'fart shame'. Shame is toxic to all relationships.

It is rude? Where does that come from? Can we philosophize about that?

As far as the smell ya but we all have to put up with moments of 'mundanity in a relationships'. That is the give and take or intimate relationships. It should not be so dramatic I am arguing.

Hey, I am not perfect, and yes she is more prefect but not absolutely perfect and therefore there can still be a debate? Yes?

Instead talk about essence of rudeness. Talk about why knee jerk reactions by women can't be challenged.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Closing Argument's/ Rebuttals

"You are starting your argument from 'her' view. Fair enough."

You should look at it from her point of view if you care about her. If you are with her, then you should care about her. I do not think it is that unreasonable of a request with regards to you not farting in front of your girlfriend. It truly is not necessary.

"I am asking however to be philosophical and think beyond 'her' view for a moment. Think about the universal "fart moment"""

I am speaking philosophically as well, only from a sociological standpoint.

"Think objectively and question where her reactions are coming from. Are they hers or conditioned? By doing such you can help both yourself and your gal overcome these issues with your farting."

I have already explained where the reactions are coming from; it is simple psychology. You would not fart around a girl you think is sexy, or a girl that you just meet and care about impressing. However, you are willing to fart around your girlfriend. This is symbolic in a sense, in that it suggests that you do not care about her like you used to, or find her as sexy as you used to. This can cause depression, and a damaged ego to go along with it. This is not a good thing. Therefore, you should not fart around your girlfriend. This holds especially if she does not want you do.

"I say this because I worry your position is: It is wrong because she doesn't like it. Really? Is that your answer?"

This is a huge part of my answer, but not the only aspect. To be honest, my opponent seems to be unjustifiably appealing to ridicule here. If you are in a relationship, you should care about the other person's feelings. If you are not giving up something you really want or need, then you should adhere to what that person wants out of respect. There doesn't seem to be, on the face of it, anything essential that you are giving up by not farting around your girlfriend. It is a reasonable request. I am not sure where my opponent's defiance is coming from, but it does not seem necessary.

"You should feel embarrassed? Why can't she laugh it off? No harm, no foul - except for some odor (pun intended). Perhaps a 'grow up' from her or a joke etc."

Maybe she would laugh it off. However, if she is decent then she would take offense. Maybe she would laugh it off and still feel upset about it on the inside, but refrain from showing her true emotions in order not to upset you. Regardless, as I have argued, it would probably her feel like a "lesser" being than when you first met (you would not fart in front of her in the beginning of the relationship). The farts have a deeper meaning when under this light.

"What you have brought up however that is quite illuminating, is 'fart shame'. Shame is toxic to all relationships."

Shame keeps people as civil beings. If one has no shame, then anarchy is the result. What is to stop people from behaving inappropriately?

"It is rude? Where does that come from? Can we philosophize about that?"

This is a red herring. The issue is what the effects are, and what reasonable conclusions we can draw based off of these effects.

"As far as the smell ya but we all have to put up with moments of 'mundanity in a relationships'. That is the give and take or intimate relationships. It should not be so dramatic I am arguing."

It is no more 'dramatic' then starting a debate in favor of this petty resolution. It is clear that you are insecure about this, which even suggests that you know you should not be doing it. If not, then why debate about? Is someone Else's approval or denial of your argument this crucial to your sex life? I think it is clear that you need to just stop farting around your girlfriend. This issue is obviously causing you a lot of head ache, and your girlfriend is even holding out on you (as you said in the second round).

"Hey, I am not perfect, and yes she is more prefect but not absolutely perfect and therefore there can still be a debate? Yes?"

Obviously there can still be a debate, as a debate is what we are engaged in.

"Instead talk about essence of rudeness. Talk about why knee jerk reactions by women can't be challenged."

I believe that I can talk about whatever I feel is relevant to the resolution. However, I do appreciate the suggestions.

Pro is having girlfriend problems due to his passing of wind. This is giving him head aches, and his female companion refrains from sexual intercourse because of this. Pro has not given any good reasons to think that farting in front of your girlfriend is more important than not stressing over petty defiance, and not getting any sex. I think that the answer is self-evident.

With regards to the resolution specifically, you should not fart around your girlfriend. I argued that it is rude, disrespectful, it stinks, and makes an unpleasant noise. Also, it can cause depression and lower her self-esteem in your wife/ girlfriend, as you obviously would not fart around her at the earlier stages of the relationship. Farting around her is symbolic of the "heat" slipping in the relationship, and this will probably deflate her ego.

The resolution is "Farting is perfectly natural and you should be able to fart when around your wife or girlfriend". Now, while farting is natural, I have argued sufficiently that you should not fart around your girlfriend. Since both notions are necessary pertaining to the resolution, and Pro's arguments fail; the resolution has been negated.
Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 3 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
I would prefer you never talk to me, again, and stop following my debates around.
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Also typing of my phone now so can't review my messages completely before I send them.

If you would like me to avoid your debates in future, I will. That's no problem.
If it going to save arguments between us then I guess I should but if you want to continue exchanging ideas in an honest fashion then I am also willing to do that.
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Dude calm down, I voted because you requested a source vote even tho I didn't award you arguments, I awarded conduct to con for his position on the debate as it is a very touching subject..... I have now removed my vote...

The threats about contacting AirMax are futile and not the reason I removed my vote, although I gave you two and him one you still think im being tactical because you want to leave your opponents with no points. That's just being silly. but to avoid confusion I will grant I remove my vote as awarding conduct just because I feel strongly in agreement with the resolution isn't warranted but I did want to make Pro feel like he wasn't alone in feeling that way, that's why I gave him a point not because I was attacking a clean sheet....

I will not remove my vote on this debate however because I side with Pro on that in a relationship a trivial matter such as farting should be overlooked and the consequences of dis-comfort or unpleasantness should be ignored. Certain situations it should be acceptable and in some it shouldn't, you never gave enough argument to show why it is compleatly unacceptable... That's my opinion.

Now quit being so horrible to me about it and realize I am only trying to participate fairly even if it's against your ideology, I have shown you I am able to take adversity when justified and you would do better to do the same.

Peace man
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Get a room already!
Rational_Thinker9119
Ridding scum of the earth is doing them a favor. What would you want to do a rapist a favor!! Leave him in general population for the rest of his life where he will be raped. He cannot suffer if he is dead. Why do the rapist and killer a favor by killing them?
Rational_Thinker9119
Your voting tactic lets me know that you just don't want my opponent's with 0 points. My opponent should have 0 point here, and in the other debate, yet you don't want that for some reason...
Rational_Thinker9119
Not wanting scum ridden from the Earth is NOT bad conduct. That has NOTHING to do with conduct. You just can't stand to see my opponent's with 0 points. That's all it is!!!!
Rational_Thinker9119
You don't give somebody else conduct points because you disagree with my position, that is NOT fair. My opponent should have 0 points here, in the other debate my opponent should have 0 points. You ruin my clean sweeps based on biased voting. I am going to have a serious discussion with Arimax about you.... You shouldn't be allowed to do what you are doing.
Rational_Thinker9119
You have conduct simply because I have a different opinion?! That has NOTHING to do with conduct. You are a piece of sh*t.
Rational_Thinker9119
You are a biased voter, and I have no respect for you at all. You don't deserve to be on this website. I won this debate, yet you voted against me. I won the other one, and you refused to even give me source points for "personal reasons". Don't ever vote on my debates, you are a disgrace to this website.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Philosopher_KingRational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument rests on women being discomforted by their male partners farting and also that men should be considerate towards their partners, whilst pro argues that farting is natural and should be viewed as such and not as a means of upsetting her, he even concludes that she should laugh it off.......This statement from Pro is what wins the debate for me, proving that a strong relationship can overcome trivial actions of behaviour, Pro States, "As far as the smell ya but we all have to put up with moments of 'mundanity in a relationships'. That is the give and take or intimate relationships. It should not be so dramatic I am arguing." I have no choice but to agree with this statement, if a good relationship becomes threatened because somebody's partner hasn't the consideration to be more discreet in farting every time he wishes to break wind, it is a very weak relationship indeed.
Vote Placed by Guy_D 3 years ago
Guy_D
Reasons for voting decision: I farted around my ex wife all the time, and she around me. But it really depends on the situation.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Reasons for voting decision: I think you'd have an easier time introducing your wife to your girlfriend, than farting in their presence on any regular basis. I've got to agree with con, in that it's a basic act of respect for them (which in a sense makes the resolution true, in that you could always find ones who like that smell)... however overall it reminds me too much of basic showering to smell nice around them... On another note; pro she will be less bothered by it if you cease eating meat, as your decaying odor from food matter will decrease.
Vote Placed by SlaterJ23 3 years ago
SlaterJ23
Reasons for voting decision: Con was more organized and rebuted well