ethopia619
Mcoolshi

Fast Food Resturants do More Harm Than Good

ethopia619

Pro

I'd like to thank whomever accepts this debate. I look forward to debating this topic.

For Round 1, please accept. All arguments will be posted on Round 2, Round 3, Round 4, and partially Round 5. Thanks!
Mcoolshi

Con

First of all I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.Since he has clearly mentioned that all arguments should be posted from the next round; there is not much for me to say in this round.
ethopia619

Pro

I give thanks to Mcoolshi to accepting this debate. I wish you good luck!

=> Obesity

1. McDonald

The Big Mac contains 540 calories. That is more than what you should eat at a meal. A medium french fries contains 380 calories. This is more than what you should eat for breakfast! Thus leaving it fact that McDonald is unhealthy.
http://www.associatedcontent.com...

2. Arby's

Let's look at Arby's, now. A regular popcorn chicken is 330 calories and a regular Roast Beef Sandwich contains 320 calories. Way more than what you should eat for breakfast, yet many adults come toward Arby's for breakfast, even if most of the items are well off 300 calories on a 2,000 calorie diet.

3. In-N-Out

Let's face it. Many kids and adults LOVE In-N-Out. However, having a famous combo: the hamburger with onion, a milkshake, and some fries are well off a 500 calorie lunch or dinner. This proves that eating fast food is unhealthy.

==> Conclusion

As you can see, fast food creates a humongous problem known as obesity. I thank Con and the readers. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

~Yugi
Mcoolshi

Con

First of all I would like to congratulate my opponent for bringing up such a convincing argument.
In my defence I will only say that just because something is hazardous for someone does not mean that it is hazardous for everyone else also. You see I won't deny the fact that such foods are the result of increasing obesity but that does not mean that there are no people in the world who do not consume these foods adequately (in proper quantity).
Too much of anything is too bad be it anything. Well, let us take an example; reading is considered to be a good hobby, a friend of mine is so addicted to this hobby that she reads day and night due to which she has been neglecting her household chores.(I know you may consider this out of context but I have just used it as an example of how good things used/done in excess can be fatal).Moreover in a bad economy the quick-and-cheap temptation can often be hard to resist. As an informed customer,one can make healthier choices and still enjoy the price and convenience of fast food restaurants.

As far as my opponents argument is concerned the above was my reply.Now let us move on to my arguments:
1)Fast food is delicious, it's filling, is really affordable, and readily available just any time of the day, being only a drive through phone call away. What more can you ask for when you are living life in the fast lane?

2)The following can be done to avoid fast food's perilous effects:-
•Make careful menu selections – pay attention to the descriptions on the menu. Dishes labeled deep-fried, pan-fried, basted, batter-dipped, breaded, creamy, crispy, scalloped, Alfredo, au gratin or in cream sauce are usually high in calories, unhealthy fats or sodium. Order items with more vegetables and choose leaner meats.
•Drink water with your meal. Soda is a huge source of hidden calories. One 32-oz Big Gulp with regular cola packs about 425 calories, so one Big Gulp can quickly gulp up a big portion of your daily calorie intake. Try adding a little lemon to your water or ordering unsweetened iced tea.
•"Undress" your food. When choosing items, be aware of calorie- and fat-packed salad dressings, spreads, cheese, sour cream, etc. For example, ask for a grilled chicken sandwich without the mayonnaise. You can ask for a packet of ketchup or mustard and add it yourself, controlling how much you put on your sandwich.
•Special order. Many menu items would be healthy if it weren't for the way they were prepared. Ask for your vegetables and main dishes to be served without the sauces. Ask for olive oil and vinegar for your salads or order the dressing "on the side" and spoon only a small amount on at a time. If your food is fried or cooked in oil or butter, ask to have it broiled or steamed.
•Eat mindfully. Pay attention to what you eat and savor each bite. Chew your food more thoroughly and avoid eating on the run. Being mindful also means stopping before you are full. It takes time for our bodies to register that we have eaten. Mindful eating relaxes you, so you digest better, and makes you feel more satisfied.

3)Moreover fast food may not always cause obesity.I can only say that if my readers and opponents are too concerned about this factor then they canrefer to the following website and probably help make restaurants better (if that is what they think, although trust me; it is totally unnecessary)
http://findarticles.com...

This brings me to the end of my argument.Hoping for a good response from my opponent.All the best.
ethopia619

Pro

Thank you, Con. I would like to congratulate you with a round of applause, for your fast response. However, we do have to debate. So, let's begin:

"In my defence I will only say that just because something is hazardous for someone does not mean that it is hazardous for everyone else also. You see I won't deny the fact that such foods are the result of increasing obesity but that does not mean that there are no people in the world who do not consume these foods adequately (in proper quantity)." ~ Con
I believe Con has agreed to me. If something is hazardous to someone, it means that the item is also hazardous to other people. You see, if you drank poison, it would definitely kill someone else. Hazardous = dangerous.
Hazardous- full of risk
http://dictionary.reference.com...

"Too much of anything is too bad be it anything. Well, let us take an example; reading is considered to be a good hobby, a friend of mine is so addicted to this hobby that she reads day and night due to which she has been neglecting her household chores.(I know you may consider this out of context but I have just used it as an example of how good things used/done in excess can be fatal).Moreover in a bad economy the quick-and-cheap temptation can often be hard to resist. As an informed customer,one can make healthier choices and still enjoy the price and convenience of fast food restaurants." ~ Con
So, how does neglecting household chores is fatal?
Fatal- causing death
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Yes, we COULD make better choices, but do we? The majority would not be making better choices.

"As far as my opponents argument is concerned the above was my reply.Now let us move on to my arguments:
1)Fast food is delicious, it's filling, is really affordable, and readily available just any time of the day, being only a drive through phone call away. What more can you ask for when you are living life in the fast lane?" ~ Con
Many foods are delicious, but you have to examine the content. Orange chicken may be delicious, but some contain a high content of MSG. Certain fast foods are not affordable nor filling, too. Let's go with the "Apple Fries" from Burger King. It is not very filling. Now, let's examine Carl's Jr. The 6 dollar burgers are definitely not affordable to many people, since many of them are on a budget.

My opponent has stated a very helpful tip to the eaters of fast food, but many adults and kids decide to eat the most delicious meals. They do not care about the content, thus leading them into obesity. Let's remember that we have TV. Kids will watch an average of 4 hours a day, thus leaving it a fact that fast food TV = obesity. If you ate rice, vegetables, spaghetti, or bread and watched TV for 4 hours, you will not get as obese as if you ate fast food and watched TV for 4 hours. Therefore, fast food contains many harms. If you often eat fast food, it leaves you vulnerable to the obesity epidemic.
http://kidshealth.org...

"3)Moreover fast food may not always cause obesity.I can only say that if my readers and opponents are too concerned about this factor then they canrefer to the following website and probably help make restaurants better (if that is what they think, although trust me; it is totally unnecessary)" ~ Con
My opponent has stated that fast food may not cause obesity, but, may is a word of probability. We also know that fast food almost always causes obesity, but there are many other things that cause obesity like junk food. However, we know that fast food is a factor of the obesity epidemic.

With the source about http://findarticles.com...... , I believe that my opponent has read about Taco Bell. It shows that the new menu, The New Fresco Menu, shows that it contains items that include 350 calories. 350 calories is a bit over what you should eat for breakfast, but many adults and kids add a drink to it, leaving the meal at about 400+ calories.
http://findarticles.com...

==> Conclusion

As you can possibly see, fast food is the main factor of the obesity epidemic. If you eat less of fast food, it would not be as vulnerable as the people that constantly eat fast food. With that note, I will conclude my side of Round 3 with some additional comments: Happy Holidays and thank you, Con and the readers, for reading my side of this debate and Con's side of this debate. My family wishes you guys a Merry Christmas, or a Happy Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or... whatever you believe in that I have not mention. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Yugi
Mcoolshi

Con

First thing first, since my opponent has commented against my arguments in his arguments; I will follow the same pattern.
1)"I believe Con has agreed to me. If something is hazardous to someone, it means that the item is also hazardous to other people. You see, if you drank poison, it would definitely kill someone else. Hazardous = dangerous.
Hazardous- full of risk"
I think that Pro has failed to understand my point.What I mean to say is that fast food is not hazardous to EVERYONE.It is only a problem for abscent-minded and nonchalant people.

2)"So, how does neglecting household chores is fatal?"
Once again the con has misinterpreted my words.I will only say that it was just an example of what can be inducted by eating so called "unhealthy" foods.

3)"Yes, we COULD make better choices, but do we? The majority would not be making better choices."
So what my Pro is basically doing here is that instead of blaming the nonchalancy of people, he is blaming the fast food joints. Till what extent is that fair?

4)"My opponent has stated a very helpful tip to the eaters of fast food, but many adults and kids decide to eat the most delicious meals. They do not care about the content, thus leading them into obesity. Let's remember that we have TV. Kids will watch an average of 4 hours a day, thus leaving it a fact that fast food TV = obesity. If you ate rice, vegetables, spaghetti, or bread and watched TV for 4 hours, you will not get as obese as if you ate fast food and watched TV for 4 hours. Therefore, fast food contains many harms. If you often eat fast food, it leaves you vulnerable to the obesity epidemic."
Okay.So my opponent has just claimed that watching TV causes obesity.Friend, scientifically speaking; practically anything where you have to sit for long hours can make you obese (and it causes more harm than just eating fast food)
If you need proof, you can ask the office goers whose job makes them sit under the comfy air conditioner whole day without having to shed a single pearl of sweat.

5)"My opponent has stated that fast food may not cause obesity, but, may is a word of probability. We also know that fast food almost always causes obesity, but there are many other things that cause obesity like junk food. However, we know that fast food is a factor of the obesity epidemic."
If my opponent says that may is a word of probablity; then it only fits to tell him that "almost always" is no less.

With this I come to the end of my side of the argument.
I thank Pro and the readers for reading my argument.
ethopia619

Pro

I would like to thank Con for arguing, even if she prefers 3 rounds instead of 5 rounds. However, please read my side of this debate for Round 4:

1) " I think that Pro has failed to understand my point.What I mean to say is that fast food is not hazardous to EVERYONE.It is only a problem for abscent-minded and nonchalant people." ~ Con
Fast food is indeed hazardous, because fast food, most of the time, are unhealthy. This meets the definition I gave.

2) "Once again the con has misinterpreted my words.I will only say that it was just an example of what can be inducted by eating so called "unhealthy" foods." ~ Con
I believe Con agrees with me that fast food is pretty much unhealthy.

3) "So what my Pro is basically doing here is that instead of blaming the nonchalancy of people, he is blaming the fast food joints. Till what extent is that fair?" ~ Con
What I am basically saying is that the fast food restaurants should allow more healthy foods.

4) "Okay.So my opponent has just claimed that watching TV causes obesity.Friend, scientifically speaking; practically anything where you have to sit for long hours can make you obese (and it causes more harm than just eating fast food)
If you need proof, you can ask the office goers whose job makes them sit under the comfy air conditioner whole day without having to shed a single pearl of sweat." ~ Con
Okay. Let me go again, fast food + TV = obesity > rice, vegetables, beans + TV = obesity. Fast food CAUSES obesity, too.

5) "If my opponent says that may is a word of probablity; then it only fits to tell him that "almost always" is no less." ~ Con
May is a word of probability, yes. Almost always gives a higher chance of not getting something then with may. 80% vs 20-30%. Fast food gives an 80% of being exposed to obesity, while the other chance is only a 20% chance of not catching obesity. Which is better: eating fast food or vice versa?

My opponent has failed to refute some of my arguments, so they still stand.

I thank my opponent and the readers for reading. Thanks!
Mcoolshi

Con

Mcoolshi forfeited this round.
ethopia619

Pro

My opponent has not posted any arguments in Round 4, thus leaving my new arguments untouched. I will not deliver new ones, so I would appreciate if Mcoolshi did not post any new arguments. However, on to the voting:

Agree with before the debate: Pro (Of course, almost everyone thinks that fast food is bad.)
Agree with after the debate: Con (Con showed some reasons why fast food is good.)
Conduct: Pro (Con forfeited.)
Spelling and Grammar: Tie
Most Convincing Arguments: Con (Con provided some great reasons of why fast food is beneficial.)
Most Reliable Sources: Pro (Con has only given 1, while Pro has given 5.)

Finally, I would like to thank Mcoolshi and the readers. Happy New Year!
Mcoolshi

Con

As far as my forfeiting the round is concerned.I would like to remind the readers and my dear pro that I was not in the favor of this debate having more that 3 rounds.Pro will certainly agree to this.I must also admit that it was my fault that I could'nt notify Pro of my decision to forfeit one argument.

Although I would have loved to reply to my pro's argument but since he has requested me not to post any new arguments, I think it will only be wise to fulfill his wishes.

As far as voting is concerned, I it is my heartiest appeal to the reader's to vote for what seems right and fair and wise to them.
Posted by Mcoolshi 6 years ago
Mcoolshi
If that can be done then sure..that'll be good
Thank you
Posted by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
Mcoolshi, do you want to cancel this debate and then I'll start this debate again with 3 rounds?
Posted by Mcoolshi 6 years ago
Mcoolshi
Don't you think 4 arguments are just too much for this debate? It only requires 2 or 3 arguments..
Posted by Tidin 6 years ago
Tidin
This debate only requires two, maybe three rounds at most. I would have accepted if it where. All one has to say is it provides employment while also providing a service. Voluntarily putting something into your body is no one elses business. The real harm comes from government subsidies of corn in making high fructose corn syrup. When regular sugar was fed to rats it took 4 times the amount to equal what high fructose corn syrup did.

You can cite all the information you want on health risks and costs but it is irrelevant compared to people liberties
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
I feel a stimulating the economy argument coming
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
ethopia619McoolshiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit, and wasting the final round talking about how that was ok.