jakeriverj
Bogs

Fast-Food should be permanently banned globally.

jakeriverj

Con

Fast food should not be banned because in the U.S. alone there are over 200,000 restaurant locations. Revenue has grown from $6 billion in 1970 to over $160 billion last year at an 8.6% annualized rate (1). The fast food industry also creates around three and a half million jobs for people who would lose their job if fast food was banned (2). As well as creating revenue and jobs, another obvious reason not to ban fast food is that it is fast and simple to get. For college students who are too busy with school and don't have enough time to cook their own meals or workers whose lunch breaks are not very long, fast food restaurants supply a very quick way to get food. While some people may believe that it is a good idea to ban fast food because it is unhealthy, a man named John Cisna proved this theory wrong. John Cisna, a high school science teacher in Colo, Iowa, has lost 56 pounds, lowered his cholesterol with a 32% decrease, and lost a total of 21 inches off his chest, waist, and hips while dining only at McDonalds for 90 days (3).

(1) https://www.franchisehelp.com...
(2) http://www.statista.com...
(3) http://www.today.com...
Bogs

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for giving me this opportunity; to debate such an important topic, and, through it, hopefully present some truths to all that read.

Nearly 34% of adult men and women over the age of 20 are obese. 2 out of 3 Americans are overweight (67%). In less than 10 years, a full 75% of adult Americans will be overweight. Childhood obesity has tripled in the past 30 years, to 25% of those less than 19 years of age. Americans consume more than 500 calories today than we did in the 1960s.

Just looking over these statistics presents a frightening reality to us all. The decline of the "greatest country on earth" is not a steady one. We're heading downward at a rapid speed, and fast-food, contributing heavily to the obesity and laziness of both our cultural essence and our way of life, is making the gravity of the fall even greater. Fast-food, clearly, is an easy option, for, as you say, college students and the like. Those who do not have the time to cook for themselves. But it's an irrefutable fact that almost the entirety of "fast"-food is poor for your health.

The case of John Cisna you present is an interesting one. However, simply because one man makes a personal change does not mean the entirety of America will too. The issue of fast-food is a detrimental influx of obesity and the prospect of an indolent future. As shown above, the overall obesity of not only adults, but children as well, has risen dramatically. Is this the country we want to present to them? Yes, as you stated, the revenue across the board is climbing, but I think you may be forgetting that our country is still $16.394 trillion in debt.

Conclusively, the fast-food industry will ultimately do nothing for our economy, and, through the glaring statistics, those showing rapidly rising obesity rates and incessant declines in health, will merely continue to represent the downfall of our once great nation.
jakeriverj

Con

jakeriverj forfeited this round.
Bogs

Pro

As you have forfeited, I shall not expand my argument. I will await your response. Once more, thank you for this debate. Fast-food should be banned, across the globe. It has brought plague unto our country, and will do similarly to others.
jakeriverj

Con

jakeriverj forfeited this round.
Bogs

Pro

Given your second forfeiture, I will again refrain from posting any further arguments. I would however, like to thank you for an enjoyable and thought-provoking debate. Although our opinions don't align, I am respectful of your views and would like to point out that you appear to be quite an intellectual individual. Once more, thank you for the debate, and I look forward to debating against you again in the future.
Posted by Bogs 1 year ago
Bogs
Hi friends. If you guys could take a few seconds to cast a vote for which side you agree with, I'm sure it would mean a lot to both my opponent and I. Thanks guys, and know that I look forward to possibly debating some of you in the future!
Posted by Gloryroad 1 year ago
Gloryroad
Amen Pro! You absolutely killed it.
Posted by hellojohn 1 year ago
hellojohn
Bogs (Pro), you have delivered a structurally spectacular argument. Well done. This issue is vital in the US today, and you've highlighted the statistics we all need to know about. I know where my vote's going. Vote Pro.
Posted by missjones 1 year ago
missjones
wow bogs, nice going. finally someone taking a stand about all the issues we just want to sweep under the rug. well said! Vote PRO!
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
just wondering, wouldnt a global fast food ban be really hard to enforce?
Posted by masterdrave 1 year ago
masterdrave
Bogs, you have restored my faith in the US. This will be a clear win for you. More convincing and well-constructed argument. Hat's off to you, good sir.
Posted by Kryptic 1 year ago
Kryptic
I hate when people make rash unwanted statements and then take con... who is going to debate that?