libertyforall
kenicks

Fast food and alcohol should be illegal.

libertyforall

Pro

FIRST I WILL TALK ABOUT FAST FOOD!

One study has indicated that an abuser's risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after eating fast food. The researchers suggest that such an effect might occur from fast foods effect on blood pressure and heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

Some of fast foods adverse health effects may occur because the disgusting grease and other things in fast food impairs the immune system's ability to fight disease. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to fast food or products used in fast food, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited. In other studies, mice exposed to fast food or fast food ingredients were more likely than unexposed mice to develop bacterial infections and tumors.

Scientists have found that whether an individual has positive or negative sensations after eating fast food can be influenced by heredity. A 1997 study demonstrated that identical male twins were more likely than nonidentical male twins to report similar responses to fast food, indicating a genetic basis for their response to the drug. (Identical twins share all of their genes.)

It also was discovered that the twins' shared or family environment before age 18 had no detectable influence on their response to fast food. Certain environmental factors, however, such as the availability of fast food, expectations about how the food would tase, the influence of friends and social contacts, and other factors that differentiate experiences of identical twins were found to have an important effect.

NOW FOR ALCOHOL!

Scientists have learned a great deal about how alcohol acts in the brain to produce its many effects. When someone drinks alcohol, alcohol rapidly enters the bloodstream, which carries the chemical to organs throughout the body, including the brain.

The short-term effects of alcohol can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for alcohol abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, alcohol withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

Research has shown that some babies born to women who drank alcohol during their pregnancies display altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which may indicate neurological problems in development. During the preschool years, marijuana-exposed children have been observed to perform tasks involving sustained attention and memory more poorly than nonexposed children do. In the school years, these children are more likely to exhibit deficits in problem-solving skills, memory, and the ability to remain attentive.

The government should quickly ban fast food and alcohol. We need them to tell use what is right and wrong right away before more evil is caused by these devils of society.
kenicks

Con

Libertyforall,

I congratulate you on making a debate with this kind of potential. I am sure many good arguments will come out of this one.

I'd like to reference a comment made below: If your username, libertyforall, reflects your belief that everything should be treated with equality and fairness, that all voices should be heard, that everyone's personal feelings should be respected...why would you try to take away two things that many people love? Wouldn't that contradict your username statement? A brief explanation is all I ask for.

Back to the opening argument. You say fast food and alcohol should be illegal. Your reasoning for this, with more educated references and fancy language, is due to the fact that they are "bad." You have provided studies that show why these two substances are "bad". These studies prove some points. You give legitamate reasons why these highly-indulged American concepts are "bad". These reasons prove some points. However, your studies, statistics, and substantiations jump the gun to an extreme; the banning of these products and making them illegal is an extreme.

You speak of the dangers of fast food and alcohol, their evils, their seducing ways. However, alcohol and fast food are merely two of the "awful evils" that I would assume you fear as well. If you feel as though fast food and alcohol should be banned and dubbed illegal, than I'm sure you feel the same way about:

Music (studies show that those awful, violent and sexually suggestive lyrics lead to destructive lives)
Television (studies show that watching TV over long periods of time can lead to decrease in vision, and exposure to violent and sexually suggestive shows could lead to a destructive life)
Smoking (the #1 killer in America. You're just one puff away from the cancer ward!)
Guns (Source of protection. Oh no, we might have an accidental death!)
Computers (Just think of the disgraceful things people could access on those!)
Video Games (Vision loss, arthritis, carpal tunnel, urges to smash aliens in later life)
Books (Can you say, squinting you eyes?)
Cars (So...many...accidents...)
Soda (Weakens bones and pumped with sugar, leading to osteoporosis and diabetes)
Sports (Long term injuries like concussions, arthritis, broken bones, paralysis, etc.)
War (Keyword: death.)
Kitchen Utensils (Sharp, pointy tips may stab someone)
Bright Lights (I'M BLIND!!! I'LL SUE!!!)
Candy (Hello, diabetes and future health problems!)
Hammers (AHH!!! MY THUMB!!! I'LL SUE AGAIN!!!)
Condoms (They dont always work, putting you at risk for STDS)
Intercourse (Puts one at risk for STDS and unexpected children)
Kissing (At times leads to sex, putting one at risk for STDS)
Clothes (Can be taken off, sometimes leading to sex, putting one at risk for STDS)
Windows (Possibly the most dangerous of them all...somone just might fall out.)

...the list goes on. The point I am trying to get across is that all of these things are part of the daily American's lives. Trying to take them away, making them illegal, would lead to mass confusion, possible hysteria, and overall the two things in life that we knew would always be there wouldn't; Fast food and alcohol.
libertyforall

Pro

Based on everything else the government has made illegal, it only makes sense that both fast food and alcohol be illegal too. I was attempting to use sarcasm in my argument. I (of course) do not personnaly believe alcohol or fast food should be illegal, but, I do think that since the government has determined things like marijuana, prostitution, steriods and other things with just as much potential to be abused and harmful as fast and alcohol to be "evil" and "dangerous" and has banned them for these reasons, that it only would make sense that alcohol and fast food be illegal too.

Kenicks, you say my reasons prove some points. However, my studies, statistics, and substantiations jump the gun to an extreme; the banning of these products and making them illegal is an extreme.

This is true, my arument does jump the gun to an extreme, but so does the argument for prostitution and even more so marijuana (just look at the reasons it was originally made illegal). Now I don't mean to make this deabte about the legalization of marijuana or prostituion so I am sorry if it seems that way, but I feel I need to bring these things up in order to make my point.

My statement,"The government should quickly ban fast food and alcohol. We need them to tell use what is right and wrong right away before more evil is caused by these devils of society." was meant to be very sarcastic. I find it funny though that everyone who left a comment on this topic so far is calling me crazy and find the though of this rediculous, yet they are against drug legalization and one was against tobacco rights. Even you Kenicks, your profile indicates you are against drug legalization.

Since you feel as though marijuana should be banned and dubbed illegal, than I'm sure you feel the same way about:

Cars (So...many...accidents...)
War (Keyword: death.)

So you see what I am trying to say?

Fast food and alcohol should not be illegal based on logic (just like marijuana and prostituion). However, based on government and what seems to be a lot of americans views, fast food and alcohol really should be illegal.
kenicks

Con

Libertyforall,

You state that because I am against drug legalization, that I have contradicted myself in my arguments. I cannot deny the fact that my profile does show that I am against drug legalization, for I believe that drugs such as cocaine should not be legalized. However, apparently you failed to see that I am in favor of medical marijuana; I believe that drugs should be legalized if strictly for medical purposes, and that anything else cannot be tolerated. If this is what the concept of drug legalization implies, than I can assure you that I will immediately change it.

Back to the argument. You claim that "Based on everything else the government has made illegal, it only makes sense that both fast food and alcohol be illegal too." Yes, the goverment has banned many things that have proven to be dangers in our country. But just what is the leading cause of death in America? Is it alcohol? No. Is it fast food? No. The number one leading cause of death in America comes from taking a puff or two on the cancer stick; Smoking. Even since the surgeon general released their warnings on the packs of cigarrettes, sales of this deadly product have yet to come down; we obviously haven't fully understood the dangers of smoking just yet. While America has made an effort to prevent smoking in social standards of life (I.e. the increased number of No Smoking rules in public areas, such as sports stadiums), we have yet to official a permanent ban, and you can still purchase a 6 pack of cigs any time, any day, at your local 24-hour convenience store.
Just what are the benefits of smoking? Looking cool? Let me tell you, you'll look real cool hacking and coughing up a storm in the cancer ward. Now THAT'S cool.

The point I am trying to get across here is that while alcohol and fast food have their setbacks, smoking is far more dangerous, and a higher priority to put an end to. The government should take evasive action by making smoking illegal before they even consider enforcing a law to make fast food and alcohol illegal.

Let's hypothesize for a minute. Let's just pretend that alcohol has been dubbed illegal. Prohibition has been enforced. Here are the effects; first off, dozens, even hundreds of beer, wine, vodka, and other alcohol-producing breweries are shut down, put out of business. Millions of workers are laid off, their life's purposes stripped, nothing left to their name but a former shadow of themselves as a working man. On top of that, thousands of pubs and clubs are forced to be shut down, for alcoholic beverages were their main profit-bringers, the item used most to rake in the dough. Thousands more workers are laid off. It's the great depression all over again.

"What can I do?" thinks the recently laid-off worker. Suddenly, he is hit with an epiphany, and gathers together all his other laid-off worker friends, those who miss their alcohol, shattered big men of the beer companies, and people who just want a reason to revolt against the man-AND RIOT! Glass shattered, houses set aflame, lives lost. Thousands die in the rage against prohibition. It's World War III, and this time, it's the common people against the government.

Alcohol has also been an integral part of religous customs for centuries. We've all been to mass, temple, or other religous places, and had the occasional sip of holy wine. As we all know, the wine they serve there is made with-you guessed it-alcohol! With alcohol banned, the holy wine we all drank in prayer would be taken away from us, ensuing one of the worst problems to deal with; religous revolt. Nobody wants that.

Without alcohol, many people rush to other sanctuaries, popular ones being fast food. So when one hungrily rushes down to the golden arches, BK Lounge, Wendy McFendy's, or wherever you go, only to find that a sign has been posted on the door, reading: "The government has recently passed a bill that has made fast food illegal. We are sorry for the inconveniece, but all of our locations have been shut down indefinetely." We all saw the "Whopper Freakout" commercials, where customers were on the verge of blowing a gasket when one product was taken away from one restaurant; what do you think would happen if every restaurant ceased to shell out any more products?

Panic would happen.
Insanity would happen.
Rebellion would happen.

Upon the sudden withdrawal of their favorite treats, fast food friendly customers wouldn't be able to compensate, and would revolt as the alcohol deprived would. Not to mention even more millions of workers laid off.

Fast food has provided us with many benefits; the life-saving dinner for those short on time, such as a soccer mom desperately seeking out a meal for her children with 20 minutes to spare before the big game. Fast food has provided inexpensive meals for the homeless, the low-incomers, the minimum wage. Fast food has given life to those whose cooking is not their forte, and hip, new hangouts for the young people. Fast food has given to us more than it has taken away.

The banning of fast food and alchohol would hurt the world more than help it. I rest my case.
Posted by libertyforall 9 years ago
libertyforall
I am guessing most of you are voting based simply on the fact you disagree because in Kenicks second post he gets of the subject completely and talks about smoking cig's. I never mention ciggarete's
Posted by cloppbeast 9 years ago
cloppbeast
Nevermind, I get it. Now it seems like Kenicks is actually the one contridicting her/himself.

sorry libertyforall!
Posted by cloppbeast 9 years ago
cloppbeast
I find the pro's name, libertyforall, particularly ironic.
Posted by quagmire 9 years ago
quagmire
Fast food shouldn't be illegal...you have a choice to get it or not.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
I'd like to briefly state that although I am con in this argument, I am strongly against fast food and alcohol, but enjoy debating for the sake of debating.

For those curious enough, or those with too much time on their hands, check out my true feelings on fast food:

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I'd say you're the idiot right now.
Posted by happypancakeeater 9 years ago
happypancakeeater
No, but calling somebody a hypocrite for taking a position he doesn't necessarily agree with makes you a presumptuous idiot.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I'm sorry are the comment sections suddenly only to express your opinion when you agree with the person.
Posted by happypancakeeater 9 years ago
happypancakeeater
To watchman and kels1123: This is a debate, as in a game, nothing more. This isn't b*tchoutpeopleinthecommentsectionforproposingideas.com.
If you want to prove him wrong, challenge him to a debate.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
PRO , you're name is libertyforall. Definition of liberty is a. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.

So i find it to be odd that while you believe in liberty , you say the government should take away people's rights to eat fast food or drink alcohol. So I find you to be a hypocrite.
Vote Placed by skull95w 7 years ago
skull95w
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by Darkness313 8 years ago
Darkness313
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by HoosierPapi 8 years ago
HoosierPapi
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 9 years ago
towinistosucced
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by bonnie_boy_returns 9 years ago
bonnie_boy_returns
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by docargument 9 years ago
docargument
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by common_sense 9 years ago
common_sense
libertyforallkenicksTied
Vote Placed by trayhayes 9 years ago
trayhayes
libertyforallkenicksTied