mansher12
funnerisbetter

Fast-food resteraunts should be banned to help stop child obesity

mansher12 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 11/1/2016 Category: Fashion
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

mansher12

Pro

McDonalds poses a threath towards the youth of society. Children are being exposed to negative types of food and are injesting unhealthy food. I will be talking about the oil they put, the animals they use, and the way they advertise.
funnerisbetter

Con

A. Cost - You almost always end up with extra, wasteful food when cooking at home which is also a waste of money. Fast food almost always comes at a lower price than home cooked meal.

B. Convenience - Fast food saves so much time compared to a home cooked meal, leaving more time for busy lives.

C. Health - Although the main disadvantage of fast food are health related, there are many healthier alternatives that are starting to appear on menus like McDonald's and Burger King. And these are the more unhealthy fast-food.

D. Sustaining - Eating fast food satisfies hunger fast, it"s very filling. So it could be argued it prevents some weight gain as kale won't fill you.

E. It tastes good. Well that's more of an opinion but I am 104 pounds and I eat fast food all the time. I love Freddy's!
Posted by EthanTheEEL 1 week ago
EthanTheEEL
Its if you exercise, and all these other things that really play, obesity is eating junk food constantly, and not working your body physically.
Posted by p0tat.0 1 month ago
p0tat.0
It's the children's and the parents' responsibility to choose food that is healthy for them. I, for one, like the occasional cheeseburger but balance it out with vigorous exercise and healthy eating. It's okay to have fast food every once in a while.
Posted by p0tat.0 1 month ago
p0tat.0
Posted by Dantheman828 1 month ago
Dantheman828
I will have to agree with the contender. Government intervention to stop a choice being made by an undisciplined child would be like breaking your tibia trying to stomp on an ant. Fast food companies are a gigantic part of our free market. There are several alternatives to banning fast food....besides, banning "fast food" will just lead to banning "unhealthy food" in general. where's the fun in that?

Let me relate this to something else- tobacco. Tobacco is a huge contributor to the lung and oral cancers we have affecting good people. Did the government outlaw tobacco? Nope, as much as I would like it to be true. It would give us staggering economic backlash. But nowadays, schools are teaching kids the consequences of smoking, and the CDC is making commercials of reasons not to smoke tobacco or hookah. Does this make sense?
Posted by huntergpearson 1 month ago
huntergpearson
I will have to Agree with the Contendor on this matter.
Posted by Lonely-Bird 1 month ago
Lonely-Bird
while i agree that mcdonald's has problems regarding portion sizes, number of calories etc it is always necessary to consider the other hand. btw unless mcdonald's is actually farming and raising cattle the manner in which animals are treated is a concern of those raising them. could mcdonald's exert pressure? assuredly but it is still the farmers' problem. so as to the other hand. there are 14,248 mcdonald's in the u.s. (i googled it and so can you). mcdonald's employs 420,000 people. congratulations! you just put 420,000 people out of work. how many are seniors needing a second income work at mcdonald's? how many are young people just starting out? how many have no other place to work? before going off half-cocked (which one imagines would be very painful. trying to insert some levity. and failing.) perhaps a better way would be to push mcdonald's to serve better food. perhaps another consideration would be to open lower price grocery stores in low income areas. perhaps opening businesses in low income areas that provide better wages.