Fast food shouldn't be served in school.

Okay, so the first round just give a brief summary on your position, second give reasons, and third is whatever. Good luck!

There have been many opinions stated about whether or not fast food should be served in schools. While I don't believe that all types of fast food would necessarily be a good idea; I believe that it could be a good thing if it is done within reason. Having restaurants such as McDonald's and Burger King might not be such a bad thing if there is a certain limit to it. I don't believe that it should be a free-for-all that students should be able to buy a bunch of. Look at those who are on Weight Watchers. They are told that they can eat nearly whatever they want as long as it is limited to a certain amount. I feel like the same could go for fast food in schools.

Did you know a single Big Mac is 563 calories? Why give those to kids when you can choose a healthier, gourmet option? Greasy, oily, fatty fast food like Wendy's or McDonald's should not be served in schools. First of all, fast food is a big part of obesity, type two diabetes,and many other illnesses affecting our generation. As I said before, fast food is very fattening. And believe it or not, a McDonald's salad is more calories than a burger! Our bodies need good, healthy food for our growing bodies and we need to learn how to keep a steady, balanced diet. Also, junk food causes depression. Why on earth wood you feed fast food to hundreds of kids if it will make them sad and gloomy? There is no excuse for this. And fast food chains abuse the animals they make food with. First off all, sticking with the McDonald's examples, the chickens are kept in filthy, overcrowded facilities. They endure cruel treatment before made into food. They stab them with sharp sticks and place them in buckets. Then, they pull out their spines while stepping on the chicken's head. Every time we buy a meal from a fast-food chain, we give them money to keep abusing these poor animals. Is this what you want? And another thing about the animals; they load them with antibiotics so that they remain plump and live longer. The food is loaded with them. I don't feel comfortable eating that food. Do you? Okay, usually I write for a very long time and no one likes long essays and there's still the third round.... So..... in conclusion, this is why fast food should not be served in schools.

While I can't argue with you that fast food can cause obesity, I can argue that, within reason, it won't. Here's the thing about all of the horrible side effects that people hear about when it comes to eating fast food; it happens when the fast food is eaten excessively. The truth is, too much of anything can be bad for you. Too much salad can cause side effects such as diarrhea, and can also cause people to bloat. Tuna is often thought of as a healthy food that many school serve as an alternative to other 'unhealthy' food options. The problem with tuna is that consuming too much of it can result in dangerous levels of mercury. Dangerous levels of mercury have been linked to vision problems, impaired hearing and speech, lack of coordination, and muscle weakness. That's just the 'healthy' tuna by itself without the other added fats such as mayonnaise. What about oranges? There are many students at schools across America who love to pick up an orange or orange juice with their breakfast or lunch. Oranges contain acid (as nearly everyone knows). Too much acid can lead to acid reflux, which, over time, can lead to precancerous lesions that form on the lining of the esophagus. Even too much water can cause problems with the body. Too much water intake can cause water intoxication. Water intoxication is a condition in which there is an abnormally low blood sodium level in the body, which can lead to loss of brain function or death. While it is vital for human survival, it can also do harm.

I can not say that letting students choose to eat as much fast food as they would like on any given day while at school would be a good idea. I am well aware of the side-effects of eating too much fast food. I am also aware of the side effects of eating too much healthy food. The thing about school lunches today is that they are so flavorless that many people have started packing their lunches full of unhealthy foods just so that they won't have to eat the flavorless school food. I know someone who ended up with e.coli because of school food. There are plenty of people who have gotten sick from eating the 'healthy' school food.

What really is in the chicken nuggets at school? Are those really chicken? Let's take a look:
"An investigation into Chicago-area school meals revealed something fairly disturbing about students' lunches " those chicken nuggets might not be exactly what you think.

According to Grub Street, Chicago journalist Monica Eng recently submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to find out the recipe for school lunch chicken nuggets, discovering that there are dozens of ingredients in the so called "meat." Students' other options aren't any better, as many of Chicago Public Schools' most popular lunch choices were made the same way.

"The district's top three entrees include processed chicken patties, processed chicken nuggets and processed chicken crumbles over nachos. Each of those chicken products alone contains dozens of ingredients," Eng writes in a local news report.

The chicken "meat" " not even counting the breading surrounding the nugget " was made up of 28 different ingredients. NPR's Scott Simon revealed the ingredients in his "Weekend Edition" show this weekend:

Yesterday, the Chicago public schools finally responded [to Eng's FOIA request] and supplied a recipe that lists at least 28 ingredients, even without the breading. Chicago public schools' chicken nuggets turn out to be made from textured soy protein concentrate, isolated soy protein " hope I'm not going too fast for you to write all this down " brown sugar, salt, onion powder, maltodextrin, silicon dioxide, citric acid, potassium chloride, sodium phosphates and, oh, yes, a little chicken."

Looking at this we can see that the baked chicken nuggets that are supposedly 'healthy' are filled with things that some people can't even pronounce. What about the little bit of chicken that is actually used in those nuggets? Where does that come from?

"Each year in the U.S., more than 8 billion chickens are killed for food. They're shackled upside down and their throats are slit, though some birds miss the blade and are instead scalded alive."

Looking at that statement we can see that the way chickens are slaughtered are not just for fast food. The 'healthy' meat that you can buy from the store isn't 'healthy'. Pointing out the way that chickens are kept specifically for the fast food industry isn't fair. There are many companies that keep their chickens under the same conditions as those used for a McDonald's chicken sandwich are. It it's fair to put blame on the fast food industry for how they keep their chickens when the 'healthy' chicken that people serve on a daily basis at home are kept under the same conditions.

Something that I must note is that nearly every chicken product that is bought (may it be from the deli at a supermarket or prepackaged) contains antibiotics. The chicken patties and chicken nuggets that are given to students at schools across the country are also filled with antibiotics (the part that is chicken) and other not real chicken things that are just as bad for the students. Some of the options at schools are notably less healthy than those at fast food restaurants due to this specific thing.

Now let's also look at some of the healthy options that places such as McDonald's serve: A McDonald's Classic Grilled Chicken Sandwich (grilled 'chicken' sandwiches are a very popular thing at my school) contains only 350 calories, 9 grams of fat, 42 grams of carbs, and 28 grams of protein. Adding a small french fry to that would be 230 calories and 11 grams of fat. Since the school I go to is notorious for only serving 0 calorie sodas, having one of those as well would make a 'complete' lunch. All together that is 570 calories and 20 grams of fat. Looking at a healthy 2,000 calorie diet we know that about 78 grams of fat per day is what is known as 'healthy'. If a student were to have that meal for lunch it would not only satisfy their craving for fast food, but it would also still be seen as a healthy meal. I'll give you an example of a meal that an average student at my school has every day and we'll compare the two.

Sample lunch:
6 chicken nuggets: 276 calories and 16 grams of fat
1 roll: 100 calories and 0 grams of fat
3 ounces of french fries: 120 calories and 0 grams of fat
1 (1 cup) bottle of chocolate milk: 209 calories and 8 grams of fat

Without getting a second side like my school allows and without going to the snack line to get extra bags of chips and such the total for this average 'healthy' school lunch are: 705 calories and 24 grams of fat. We mustn't forget that many students put butter on their rolls as well.

There is also the fact that, yes, some salads at fast food places contain more fat and calories than a regular hamburger offered at fast food restaurants. Salads are also offered with the same toppings and dressing options. With students being allowed to have as much ranch dressing as they want to cover their salads at school, calling them healthy is hardly an option. Let's also not forget the popcorn 'chicken' that students at my school are given to put on their salads. Is it really healthier than the other school food?

My school also has vending machines. Here are some of the things that are offered in those machines:
Munchies: 187 calories
Poptarts (2 pack of strawberry): 400 calories 90 grams of fat

Must I go on? Assuming that a student has the Poptarts for breakfast would mean that a student would take in around a grand total of 1105 calories and 114 grams of fat just from the two meals that they have at school. If a student were to have a McDonald's Fruit and Yogurt Parfait (which are quite popular among people at my school) along with the other McDonald's meal listed above, they would have had 720 total calories (barely more than the 'healthy' school lunch that is already served) and 22 grams of fat (less than what is included in the 'healthy' lunch schools serve). Comparing the two full meals shows us that the sample McDonald's school breakfast/lunch has 385 less calories and 92 less grams of fat than the sample school breakfast/lunch that many students consume on a daily basis.

Looking at the numbers proves that fast food can be healthy within reason. Not all fast food is unhealthy for students to have. There is a way that students can have the delicious fast food that they want while still eating a healthy amount of calories and fat.

In conclusion, fast food is not necessarily a bad thing if given to students in limited amounts. The food that is given to students can not be noted as 'better quality' than many of the options that are offered at fast food restaurants. The 'gourmet' options that you mentioned are things that are filled with soy products and other things that some students and even adults may not even be able to pronounce. While noting that some of the cheaper things on McDonald's menu are made with lesser quality ingredients than those of higher value, it is important to know that those options are no worse for students than the 'gourmet' options that schools offer. Fast food is something that many people enjoy at any time of day. With limits, I believe that it would be a great option for students in schools in every one of the 50 states. Thank you.

Where I got some of my data:

Okay...That was really....long. Sorry, I keep things short and sweet so that people don't zone out. But kudos on your great debate! I have to say, you are a great competitor, but you assume many things. You also compared two different meals which was pretty unfair. So take a look at this;

Sample lunch;
1 roll: 100 calories and 0 grams of fat

6 chicken nuggets: 280 calories and 18 grams of fat
1 roll: 200 calories and 2 grams of fat
3 ounces of french fries: 275 calories and 11 grams of fat
1 (1 cup) bottle of chocolate milk: 130 calories and 0 grams of fat

So, not counting breakfast because it is an indeterminate variable, your sample lunch was 605 calories and the McDonald's one was 885 calories. AND that's only your school. My school's lunches are no more than 500 calories, and it's very rare it's that high in fat.

The school where I go to has never made anyone sick. And the food CERTAINLY isn't flavorless. My friends all over the country agree too (I felt bad for you and asked them if there food was that bad) .

According to, "According to the Matador Network, some fast food's chicken nuggets contain a chemical preservative called tertiary butylhydroquinone, which is derived from a petroleum. Yep, the stuff you put into your car. That's not all, either. Some chicken products are mechanically separated, which means those scraps that would normally go to waste are ending up in your nuggets. Plus, if you were even to study the ingredients in your favorite meals, you'd be shocked to see how many of them are chemical preservatives, artificial coloring, monosodium glutamate and more." And lets not forget the slime in fast food either.

As I said before, there is something more important than the calories, or the animals, or the slime; the kids. Fast food affects how they feel, and not in a good way. It can make you sad and depressed. Why on earth anyone would even consider giving this junk to their child, I do not know but I will say this; Wake up America. Our generation is getting obese and lazy. Is this what you want?

I would first like to point out that you made a math error when you said that the sample lunch at my school was only 605 calories. When they are all added up it is equivalent to 705 calories. Another thing that I would like to point out is that McDonald's doesn't serve dinner rolls. Where you got your information about a single dinner roll being 200 calories is beyond my knowledge. So, that automatically makes your McDonald's sample meal 200 calories less. Your McDonald's sample meal is only 685 calories. (I looked up McDonald's rolls and I found nothing.)

Another thing that you must notice is that I chose different meals because I don't think that chicken nuggets from McDonald's should be served at schools. I did state in my round one argument that "While I don't believe that all types of fast food would necessarily be a good idea; I believe that it could be a good thing if it is done within reason." That is what I have been arguing. That is why I stated two different meals. I was giving an example of a type of meal that could be offered. In looking at your sample McDonald's meal (excluding the non-existent dinner roll) it can be seen that there are less calories and only 5 more grams of fat than that of the average school lunch that I provided.

I do not know what school that you go to where the food is 'gourmet' and is under 500 calories, but that's not actually allowed. "Most students had to receive 785 calories at lunch, according to previous guidelines set in 1994. The new regulations say meals must be at least 550 and no more than 650 calories through the fifth grade, 600 and 700 respectively for middle school students and 750 and 850 respectively for high school students." This shows that your school, according to your statement, while offering lunches that are no more than 500 calories, doesn't even meet the standards of a lunch for students in elementary school. That, by law, is a problem.

I have lived in many different states over the course of my life. I feel as though that gives me the ability to say that I have honestly never tasted a good school lunch. Asking people all across the country you can gather the information that school food is hardly 'gourmet'. I have never gone to a school in which the students didn't complain about the food. Due to many schools not flavoring their food and not being able to offer salt for the students, there are very few people who will tell you that school food actually tastes better than what they imagine cardboard to taste like.

As for your argument of depression, here are some things to think about:
"Some evidence does suggest that the trans-fats and saturated fats in some junk foods increase the risk of depression. The latest findings on this topic come from Spanish researchers who followed the diet and lifestyle of more than 12,000 men and women for six years. At the outset, none of the participants had been diagnosed with depression, but at the study's end, 657 were found to be depressed." (That totals to less than 19% of the people who were studied ending up with depression. There is also hardly any evidence that the depression that they were diagnosed with was diet related. Though some people think that it may be, there is no solid evidence stating that the theory is completely correct.)

When you say that junk food can cause depression, you have to look at the big picture of it all. Processed foods are also thought to cause depression. Not just fast food in itself. What is school food? What are the chicken nuggets and salisbury steak made out of? All of the meats that schools serve are processed. How is that good for the children? How is it that processed fast food causes depression while processed school food doesn"t? They are both processed and are virtually made of the same ingredients.

A quote from Mayo-clinic says this: "More research is needed on the connection between depression and diet." The argument that you are trying to make is one that doesn't have enough solid evidence to be called fact. Without it being fact, there is little you can say that I or someone else wouldn't be able to argue with.

Most of the arguments that say that fast food is linked to depression don't specifically say 'fast food'. Many of the pages that I found about your argument name added sugars and processed foods specifically. The food that is served in school is just as, if not more, processed than the food that is served at fast food restaurants.

In an article labeled "Why Fast Food is 'Healthier' Than School Lunches: The Shocking USDA Truth" quite a bit of information is shared. A couple of quotes specifically caught my attention.

1.) "The potential prevalence of E. Coli in school lunches has already been scrutinized, but there are more nasty shocks in store for parents and public school students. In fact, the standards governing the preparation and food content of school lunches fall short of minimums imposed upon even fast food restaurants, such as KFC and McDonalds!"
(The bare-minimum for fast food restaurants is sometimes not even met by school food. How is that healthy for the children?)

2.) "No parent would feed their child meat only fit for pet food or compost, yet meat from "old birds" is exactly what children are being served at school, as found by USA Today"s investigation. Even KFC and the Campbell Soup Company refuse to buy such meat because of quality considerations, and these corporations stopped doing so more than a decade ago " yet our children are eating this very type of questionable quality meat."
(KFC, being a fast food place, is often thought of as a place where low quality food is served. Looking at this quote, we can see that even KFC has higher standards for the meat that they use than the schools do for the meat in their lunches. Students all across the country are eating the food that even a "low-quality" fast food restaurant won't accept. How is that okay for the students? Wouldn't it be much better for the children if they were served better quality food?)

3.) " Not only are school children being served meat unfit for even a McDonalds" burger, but they are also at risk of ingesting harmful bacteria and pathogens hidden within the food. Some reports suggest that fast-food restaurants actually check for bacteria and pathogens between five and ten times more often than school lunch meats. An independent investigation conducted by USA Today concluded that out of 150,000 tests on school beef, most did in fact satisfy the criteria imposed by other large beef buyers. Alarmingly, however, there were cases where the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS), which purchases meat for schools, bought meats with pathogen and E. coli levels which even exceeded acceptable levels for fast-food outlets!
Pathogens and bacteria housed in school cafeteria food are thought to be responsible for many stomach virus outbreaks nationwide."
(There is proof that schools have been serving meat with pathogen and E. coli levels that are beyond what is acceptable in fast food restaurants. How is that 'healthy'? How is that better for the students than fast food? While some fast food is higher in fat, there are other options than just fried chicken nuggets and greasy burgers with lots of mayonnaise.)

As you can see, school food really isn't as 'healthy' as people make it out to me. There are plenty of healthy options off of fast food menus that are higher quality than that of school food. Students are getting sick every year due to low quality school 'meat'. Within reason, fast food wouldn't be a bad thing to offer to students. It would not only be better quality food than what they are being served now, but it would also be something that they would enjoy much more than the current food that they are currently served on a daily basis. If students were given different, healthy fast food options to eat while at school, they would not only be happier with the flavor of the food they are consuming, but parents would have the piece of mind that their children aren't eating such low-quality meat with pathogens and E. coli. Within certain restrictions I believe that fast food would be a great option for schools across the country.

Where I got my information:
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
>Reported vote: Forever23// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Voting reason in comments section.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voter sufficiently addresses all of the major arguments made by both sides.
Posted by whiteflame 10 months ago
>Reported vote: fire_wings// Mod action: Removed<

2 points to Con (Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one to have sources. Also all the sources where facts, not fake or blog, and also other posts.

[*Reason for removal*] This is insufficient. The voter needs to do more than just say that one side had sources while the other didn't. If one side was the only one that had sources, the voter merely needs to point to the importance of those sources in their arguments, but without that, the voter just seems to be voting on who had the most sources rather than any substance.
Posted by whiteflame 11 months ago
>Reported vote: travis18352// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: i feel that theres nothing wrong with fast food in schools

[*Reason for removal*] The voter needs to make a decision based on the arguments made in the debate and not based on their personal opinion.
Posted by Forever23 11 months ago
So here's a quick assessment of the debate. I will vote as soon as possible:
Pros arguments- 1. Causes Obesity
2. Makes energy fade
3. Makes people gloomy
4. Fast food was grown cruelly

Con arguments- 1. "Healthy" school food isn't exactly "healthy"
2. Schools force kids to absorb a lot of calories.
3. Kids hate this school "healthy" food

Prop first point was that it causes obesity. The con refuted that by saying that too much of anything can cause problems. And we cant ban everything. They talked about regulation and that was a very strong point since they gave examples of how too much water can lead to intoxication and etc.
The points about energy loss, sadness and cruel growth process were not refuted. In her speech, con makes a strong analysis comparing the amount of calories in each menu. Pro does a similar comparison and takes that argument to his side. Closer to the end, this debate kind of came to a stalemate when pro and con just started arguing about the food in their schools. They argued about how students from their schools liked schools food and about how they didn't. I thought that they should have focused more about the other arguments that were introduced. The health and kids hating school healthy food were at the end refuted by pro AND by the end pro has 3 of its own arguments standing. So pro gets more convincing arguments point. There was a tie between sources. The pro did mention sources in his speech but I would suggest linking your evidence. That's totally fine since at the end, the source was given one way or another.
Vote Placed by Forever23 11 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Voting reason in comments section.