Mockery
imabench

Fat Shaming is Never Okay

imabench

Mockery

Pro

In this day and age, it's shocking to find that something that fat shaming still exists. It's rather sickening to think that some people find this okay. I'm here to say that fat shaming is awful and it does nothing but make people upset.

I am not a skinny girl but any means. I have big boobs and bit of a belly. However, I am fine with this. Yes, it could work harder to become skinny but I don't want to nor do I feel the need to. I am fine the way I am. I'm not saying that I shouldn't try to be healthier but that doesn't mean I have to not enjoy foods I love.

Being fat isn't a sin. And don't bring me the whole 'Gluttony is a sin thing' because that doesn't apply. The definition of gluttony is the act or habit of eating or drinking too much, not being fat. Just because a person is fat does not mean a person is less of a person. It just means they are bigger. Some people don't mind being fat and other people have health problems. Then, there are people who want to loose weight. That is fine but it is never okay to just hate someone because they are fat. It is stupid and close minded
imabench

Con

I accept this debate because even though fat shaming can be done, its only not ok some of the time.

Pro is arguing that fat shaming is NEVER okay, im arguing that sometimes it can be justified.

Now then: scenarios for which fat shaming, or shaming people for being fat, is sometimes justified

1) Using their fatness to skip lines at Disney

At Disney world, people who are fat as sh** who need rascals or those scooters to get around routinely are allowed to skip lines to get on rides before other people. Problem is: most of them arent actually disabled, theyre just f*cking fat as f*ck and are using their fat f*ckedness to skip lines and ride rides, simply for being fat.

Im not making this up either, this problem was so bad that Disney actually chose to scrap the whole thing of letting fat disabled people go on rides first primarily because too many fatties were exploiting the system.
http://www.nbclosangeles.com...

So if someone is using their fatness to immorally cut lines at theme parks, then fat-shaming them is certainly justifiable in that case.

2) In medieval times, Kings would over indulge as a way to show off to the world that they had food and were rich

Gluttonous monarchs often became gluttons simply because they over-indulged in luxuries that were showered upon them that they earned in no way whatsoever.... They did it simply because they could. The portly Marie Antoinette infamously said 'let them eat cake' when told of poor people not having soup partly because she was a fat f*cker who obviously showed little empathy for the less fortunate masses.

So, shaming monarchs for being fat, over-indulging, narcissists is also justifiable to a degree.

3) Some people are really, really f*cking fat for no reason.

If you are portly because of a genetic problem or because no matter how hard you try you cant lose weight, then there is no excuse to make fun of them or shame them for genuinely being fat and being unable to escape it..... But on the other half of the equation there are the fatties who weight 350 pounds easy and simply eat and eat and eat, all the time, almost non-stop, simply because they have no self control.

People who do not have self control are shamed all the time and its justifiable to do so..... Kids who dont control what they say or how they act are shamed for being such annoying little bastards, women who whore themselves out and dont control who they sleep with are shamed for being such whores, and fat people who dont control how much they eat and how fat and obnoxious they become are also shamed for not having self control like the others.

There are degrees and cases where fat shaming is in some cases okay, and to say that its NEVER okay is irrational.
Mockery

Pro

So what if some people are fat? Does it really matter? No, it doesn't. If they aren't bothering you, then why should you care?

Some people are fat because they want to be. It's not a big deal.

As for the whole Disney thing, I don't really see where that comes into play. So some people were jerks and were abusing the system. They were fat but the main focus was they were being rude and not thinking of others.

The kings thing is true but that was years ago. I don't know anyone in this day and age who would do that.

If a person is fat, they are fat. We can't change that so we might as well leave them alone
imabench

Con

"So what if some people are fat? Does it really matter? No, it doesn't."

Wow, what a great argument! How could I ever argue against such amazing logic and reasoning?

(Sarcasm)

My argument is that sometimes it does matter whether or not someone is fat, why they are fat, and whether or not they use their fatness to exploit the system given the circumstances, as mentioned before.

"If they aren't bothering you, then why should you care?"

Because if people use their fat to exploit the system and get benefits they didnt earn, or are fat because they completely lack self control, or are fat just to rub it in to peasants they rule over, then that is a shameful thing to do and therefore can be shamed.

"As for the whole Disney thing, I don't really see where that comes into play. So some people were jerks and were abusing the system. They were fat but the main focus was they were being rude and not thinking of others."

Yeah, and being flat out rude and selfish is a shameful in a blatantly obvious exploitation of a system meant to help the disabled is truly a shameful thing to do, making fat-shaming justifiable.

"The kings thing is true but that was years ago. I don't know anyone in this day and age who would do that."

That doesnt matter though. The debate is that fat shaming is never okay, meaning it never will be or has been okay.

You conceded that Kings did exactly that, so you basically concede that argument and therefore concede the debate.

"If a person is fat, they are fat. We can't change that so we might as well leave them alone"

By that logic a rapist is a rapist, and we cant change that so we might as well leave them alone too...... And thats a f*cking stupid argument to make.
Mockery

Pro

Mockery forfeited this round.
imabench

Con

imabench forfeited this round.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Contact airmax 1227, dawndawndawndawn, if you're having trouble with your account. You have (more than) 3 debates, so I'm guessing it might be a lack of phone confirmation?

Regardless, though, you should not be voting your bias--if you think the subject is "too sensitive to care about the process", then don't vote.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 3 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
this subject is too sensitive to care about the process.
I can't figure how to vote any way

Fat-shaming is el nono
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
dawndawndawndawn:

You shouldn't be voting based on your opinion, but rather on the performance of the debaters.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 3 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
or thin-shaming or black-shaming or age-shaming
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 3 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
krsyt! I don't know how to vote

but, as a fitness professional,
I know ALL the ups and downs of fat and MUST
pass nationally accredited tests, fight with doctors and
my ideas must hold up in a court of law
AND I have decades of experience.

IT IS NEVER OK TO DO FAT SHAMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Sorry, left this off the end:

As always, I'm happy to clarify anything in my RFD.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
An odd debate.

While I understand Pro's position, Con demonstrated that there could be occasions in which "fat shaming" might be okay, and Pro's main rebuttal about that was the "why should you care" argument--as the affirmative claim with the presumptive BoP, in a debate about whether something is "okay" (presumably "morally okay"), asking "why should you care" is not a valid rebuttal. I think Pro made a good point vis-a-vis the argument that poor behavior, not being fat, is the problem with Disneyland, but Con pointed out that in his initial argument that they were getting this benefit "simply for being fat", and Pro didn't really argue agains this, agreeing that the behavior was bad and, by implication, that shaming these people for using their fatness as excuse to cut in line would be justified. As such, considering Con gave arguments why it might be okay to "fat shame", Pro's strong resolution fails, and arguments to Pro.

Conduct because man, that was a lot of F-bombs, Con. I mean--I understand a strident opinion and position, but it seemed, to me, a skosh excessive.

S&G was equal enough for government work. Only 1 source was used in the whole debate, which seemed insufficient to warrant an award of points.

I was disappointed in the ending forfeits...was that a site-problem, or did you both lose interest?
Posted by Flipz 3 years ago
Flipz
Hi Mockery,
I am willing to debate you on the merits of the fat acceptance movement, but not on the topic of "fat shaming," as the phrase is an obvious pejorative. If you want details, PM me.
Posted by Flipz 3 years ago
Flipz
If that is meant as a joke, it isn't funny. Starvation shrinks brain mass. Vigorous exercise and a balanced diet promotes healthy brain function.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 3 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
Skinny people's brains shrink
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
MockeryimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.