racketguy
shootmisslayup

Fate is more likely than Fortune.

racketguy

Pro

Thanks to all who are reading or following this debate. It is difficult to express such a wide and unknown topic in a sentence. Often times fate and fortune are believed to be the exact same thing and that is no true. Fate is known to be set before you like a book you are reading. The words are all set in before you read them yet you don't know what will happen. The exact definition (I don't trust Wikipedia) from Merriam-Webster is "the will or principle or determining cause by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do." Supporting my argument in which I believe that everyday events are set before you everyday. You can't predict nor stop your next action or the next thing that will happen to you.
shootmisslayup

Con

My opponent's opinion states that my opponent thinks that everything is planned before we do something. For example it was already determined that I would take part in this debate.

But in the resolution it's stated that Fate is more likely than fortune. Since fortune was not defined it could be defined as a valuable item/person or having enough money to sustain a healthy lifestyle. If this was the definition of the term fortune I would have to disagree with the resolution for the following:

1. My opponent states in their last argument: You can't predict nor stop your next action or the next thing that will happen to you.

I agree that you can't predict everything you do nor can you predict every action and reaction to the things you do. But you are the person that ultimately decides if you're just going to take it as fate or you're going to do something to change the fate you supposedly have. For example it was fate that you will fail a fail your class because instead of studying for your exam you are out socializing or playing video games (etc.).
The following day you fail your exam and you know you're not going to pass the class because of your low mark.

But would you just sit there and blame fate for your mistakes and failure? No. You take matters into your own hands and ask your teacher if there is any other possibilities of doing extra work to raise your make so that you can pass.

Thank You
racketguy

Pro

My apologies opponent for not clearly stating what I meant by "fortune". Clearly fortune has many different meanings though the one that is used here is quite self explanatory. Fortune as being "luck" are the odds in favor of an event happening. Fate is different in which everything is set ahead. Fortune are the odds. Obviously the odds of a meteor hitting the Pentagon 5 minutes from now is extremely slim but Fortune states that the odds are still there. It is not pre-determined. My opponent states in their last argument:

"But you are the person that ultimately decides if you're just going to take it as fate or you're going to do something to change the fate you supposedly have."

It is my opinion against this. It is impossible to change fate. Fate is simply a way of saying that events that happen are meant to happen. You might ask for extra credit. That's an example of fate. You might just be lazy and pass it off as a bad mark. That's also fate. There are many variables involved in fate and fate is the pre-determined outcome of those variables.

Thanks for accepting this debate.
shootmisslayup

Con

So you're basically saying that Fate is the out come or result of an action or event. But for that resolution to happen there has to be some events that have to happen at the certain moment for the outcome to happen. This is basically your definition of fate.

Since the resolution was: "Fate is more likely than Fortune" in simplicity it means that fate occurs more than luck. But the events that cause fate involve luck it self for that event to happen. For example: something a common couple would say is "it was fate that we met." well for that fate to happen they would've needed the luck for them to meet or the luck to even get a yes for the relationship to start.

It was no problem accepting this debate. I enjoy this challenge. :)
racketguy

Pro

However, fortune in definition is "prosperity attained partly through luck" from Merriam-Webster. I agree that indeed luck is a part but fate stretches beyond that. People may say you have a lucky fate, in other words, a lucky future. If your going to have a relationship with someone it is set before you. You state:

"But the events that cause fate involve luck it self for that event to happen".

To make a few points about this statement:
1. Basically you are saying every outcome in this world involves some sort of luck or chance. I am here to disprove that. If I had chosen not to make this debate, would that be luck? Would you be thinking the exact same thing you are thinking right now as you are reading this? Say if this debate was never created then what do you think you would be doing right now? Maybe reading and debating another topic. There are infinite amounts of outcomes and each outcome is the pre-determined part of fate.
shootmisslayup

Con

shootmisslayup forfeited this round.
Posted by sqr47 7 years ago
sqr47
I still don't understand what you're trying to prove
Posted by sqr47 7 years ago
sqr47
This is a pretty stupid debate
Vote Placed by sqr47 7 years ago
sqr47
racketguyshootmisslayupTied
Vote Placed by sammyc96 7 years ago
sammyc96
racketguyshootmisslayupTied