FreedomBeforeEquality
Man_Of_Few_Words

Fate

FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

Do you believe in fate. It can take whatever form. Individual or as a species. Is there some set of pre determined aspects of humanity? The universe (Pro)? Or is it all some random occurrence (Con)?
Man_Of_Few_Words

Con

OK so I will be taking the con side in I don't believe in fate with a few exceptions.
Since we are here we will die and there are certain things that we will need to do to survive but of course we can choose our own path.Also I would appreciate it if Pro did not use any Religious based arguments. That is it and I look forward to a good debate
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

Agreed on the religious stuff. I intended to note bible references be used for analysis of human dimension only.

I would argue then that fate be loosely based on that need for survival you mentioned. It seems to me that such a drive towards survival might be viewed as some form of predetermined path. In the course of 'following your own path' you don't neglect your needs for long. Even in most instances your 'own path' aligns in some way toward making your life easier and more enjoyable ... so that those survival needs are satiated longer and need less tending to.

The outliers who do not tend to those things die, the ones who do not better things just hang on. As a people, the survivors who follow this mandate seem to gravitate towards something predictable. Something practical. What is that drive? How is it any different from fate?

From a completely scientific stance on creation, having this box of predefined limits we are tied to would have to be fate, no matter the creator really. In our start we were controlled by something bigger and more powerful than ourselves. I don't believe we can ever escape the label of being fated unless we can escape our beginnings and abandon all direction. Fate is characterized by having a direction at all. Not random, but with direction.
Man_Of_Few_Words

Con

Man_Of_Few_Words forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

I stand with the idea that fate is not without direction. Direction can be set in motion by things we cannot conceive. The only way we can call anything randomness is to know and/or be in control of the very thing that created us. We cannot know its purpose otherwise.

In addition nothing we create could be thought to be random as we cant identify that we were set towards that goal in the first place.
Man_Of_Few_Words

Con

Man_Of_Few_Words forfeited this round.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Pro

FreedomBeforeEquality forfeited this round.
Man_Of_Few_Words

Con

Man_Of_Few_Words forfeited this round.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
Yeah I know its a bit deep. I'm sure it'll just perpetuate into more questions. I'm more interested in what those questions might be.
Posted by Rubikx 2 years ago
Rubikx
I would take this debate, but i just don't think there's enough to go off of for a full debate. Although i definitely look forward to reading the debate. There are just so many branches that it can go down from God to multiverse or parallel universes. Good luck!