Fathers are as capable as mothers of taking care of children.

hello everyone, in this post my argument is "for". I would like to say thanks a lot in advance to my opponent and wish him good luck. Thus, I'd like to discuss fathers taking care of children, whether they are as able to take care of a child as mothers or not.

I shall state definitions since you did not. I then wish to see you propose your case.

Definitions: -

Father:A male parent or a woman having the status, function, or authority of a male parent.[1]
Mother: A female parent or a woman having the status, function, or authority of a female parent.[2]
As: To the same degree, amount, or extent.[3]
Capable: Having power and ability.[4]
Taking Care of: To oversee and protect someone or something.[5]
Children: Plural of a baby or infant.[6]

Thank you very much for explaning what the words mean.So to begin with,I should accept that mothers also plays an important role in a child life, they give a birth, babies gain benefit from breast feeding by their mothers. However, as far as I'm concerned I do not think that fathers are useless in this direction. Nowadays job markets are too competetive with each other, therefore they need more educated people, as we know both women and men are well educated and women do not want to loose their job because of the housework and childrens' upbreeding, while their husbands might be free and can take care of their son. In our modern life, breeding children is very easy, and every convenience have been done for fathers, they can entirely enjoy usefull information from mass media. On the other hand, there are many housedads who take care of babies and special sites also created for them. There are some comments of homedads: "My wife and I were both earning about the same, but whereas she really enjoys her work, I felt I could take it or leave it. So I did, and it's been the best career move I've ever made. No pressure and no deadlines. Admittedly there's no coffee breaks either, but the job satisfaction is absolute." added Simon.

Yes, I agree that a father can raise a child and so can a mother (in fact neither have to do it as you suggested since there are single fathers as well as single mothers). However firstly you stated 'children' not just 'their child' and also you stated 'as capable as' which, according to my definitions, means you are claiming that fathers have power and ability to oversee and protect children to the same degree, amount, or extent. Well, I'd say they are not able to the same degree but in fact MORE capable to protect their child than mothers since on average, males are physically stronger than females. The difference is due to females, on average, having less total muscle mass than males, and also having lower muscle mass in comparison to total body mass.[1] However, to be more capable is not the same as to be AS capable. It is not to the SAME degree but to a GREATER degree.

On the other hand, my definition of 'taking care of' does not only refer to protecting but also refers to 'overseeing' and this is where mothers far surpass fathers. The definition of overseeing is 'Supervise (a person or work), esp. in an official capacity.'[2] To run up and down a house, cook, clean, feed the child, check on the child's health, bathe the child, be on the phone with your partner if they need somethign from the shops requires a huge capability to SWITCH BETWEEN parts of the brain RAPIDLY, more commonly termed multi-tasking. Neurologist Robert Gorski at the University of California confirmed that the corpus callosum (the nerve connections between the right and left hemispheres of the brain) is 30% more highly developed in the female brain than the male brain. These nerve connections allow information to flow more easily from one side of the brain to the other, which allows a woman to focus on more than one thing at a time.[3]

So in the protection, fathers outdo mothers and in overseeing mothers outdo men. It's just variation between genders. You can't change biology.

I really appreciate your arguments, nevertheless as I see the main topic claims that "Fathers are as capable as mothers of taking care of children" and I personally think there is no need to compare who is better or worse than the other one. So, according to the recent research presently fathers are more interested in their children lives, they are willing to spend more time with them. Thus, most fathers are doing their jobs better than they used to, while contrastly mothers are doing worse than they used to.(according to the resent research)
To be honest, both sides have the same rights and experience, actually men can also do whatever women do, like cook, clean, do housework and so on. Anyway there are plenty usefull sites which can help them to do at their best. Besides three out of four dads share childcare equally with their partners (ING Direct 2007).
In addition, fathers to be able to ubringing really good children they have to be comprehensive enough.

Fathers are improving ok. But at present, are not as capable as mothers due to natural lack of ability to multitask, lack of ability to empathise[1] with children and lack of ability to deal with stress[2].

Posted by Glax 3 years ago
I think that fathers and mothers are both equally able to take care of and raise children. Mothers may be more emotionally understanding, but that doesn't mean that a father is less fit to raise a child.
Vote Placed by Jessalyn 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con did a better job at explaining his points than Pro did, despite the fact that Pro had better points overall.