Kasemei
LDer09

Favoritism to sports teams rather than academics

Kasemei

Pro

You said you wanted to debate it, now here's your chance!

I have to go to sleep, but here was my post from the earlier one. In the event that you want to debate the pro side, we could have another debate if you want. XD

Anyway, to the argument. The fact is, I've been noticing trends throughout areas, especially in my school district, where people and the school administration tend to give more funds for the athletic department, rather then all the academic programs that exist in the school. While some programs are well funded, it seems that comparing say a football team to a debate team, the football team will always come out ahead, regardless on how well they do. In my school for example, the football team doesn't do so well. However, our speech and debate team does well at nationals, and doesn't seem to get as much obvious support as say the football team does. Is this fair? I don't think so. All programs are programs, and to give to one that's doing worse off more funds then one that's doing better, doesn't make any sense. It just shows that many people decide that sports are more important, which I believe is not true.
LDer09

Con

In Odessa and Midland Texas Friday Night Lights took place. In those small towns sports is all they have. They don't have big academic programs. Sports like football is really all they have. Because of that the school administration gives more money to sports because sports is there world. This is the same in other small towns all over America. I am not saying thats what happens in every town. I do understand that academic programs do deserve funding but do they bring in money for the school? No they don't. But sports does regardless if they are good or bad. High Q does not bring in money for the school debate does not bring in money but Football does. Volleyball Basketball Soccer all of them do. When was the 1st time you saw cheerleaders cheering at a Chess Match? Or during and Extemp round for Speech and Debate? Or even at an Academic Decathlon competition? Never you never see any cheerleaders there. You don't see people sitting in Extemp rounds pumping up the speaker. Or rooting for the next move. Because these events are not popular or events where you can take of your shirt (if your a guy) and paint the letters of your school on your chest. No one cares. If the school can not make money off of your club sport or organization then why spend money and not make any? Also some things need more money especially if they are not the best sports team to get better.
Kasemei

Pro

You make a good point. However, for some schools such as as mine, we have not so good a football team, and a national known speech and debate team. We do loads of fundraisers and such, why? Because we as a program do fantastic. However, many other programs, such as you said Academic Decathalon, or even Science Olympiad, while they do fantastic, don't get nearly as much funding. Yes, I agree that sports generate revenue, but the number of people who can actually play in the team plays a factor, and the entire school can't just join football, or soccer. People who want to do the academic side of the school activities. Those people should be allowed to do so, and not be limited by funding cuts.
LDer09

Con

I understand that not everyone can join a sports team. I also understand that some people want to be on academic teams. But sports need the money. I do understand if the team is not good and the academic teams are great or what not. But what do academic teams need to buy? They only pay for their tournaments that is all. What do athletic teams need to buy? Equipment uniforms football, baseball, softball, soccer teams all pay for the lights when they practice and or play at night. Cheerleaders need to pay for trips and uniforms. They also have fundraisers. Swimming teams pay for the practice place (if your at my school we don't have a pool we go to a park). Academic teams don't pay for a lot of things. Because of that they don't need a lot of money. Sports on the other hand pays for so many things. They also have fundraisers and charging admissions is one of their fundraisers. We cant take away money from a sports team because their not good. We need to invest a little more money and maybe they will get better. Also if schools were to take away money from lets say football their would be a lot of risks for the reason that their equipment is what protects them.
Kasemei

Pro

You say that sports teams need more money because of equipment and that academic teams need less. However, that's simply not true. Take for example, my speech and debate team. We needed 16,000 dollars to fund our entire season. We didn't get anywhere near that. I think we got 12,000 dollars. One of our fundraisers was selling adds to local businesses and putting them all in the different programs of our school plays and musicals. Granted, the school helps by providing the buses and stuff, but we still had to change a lot of things. Also, many other academic programs need to pay for supplies, books, hire coaches, and other huge things.

Allowing sports teams to have their full needs, while not covering the needs of other programs is just not justified. Our speech and debate team does extremely well in the state, as well as the country, but without adaquate funding we don't bring that glory to our school, compared to our football team which stays in the state and doesn't have nearly as much success.
LDer09

Con

The reason why debate teams need so much money is because they have to pay for tournaments. Each event you do costs money. Here is a great idea stop letting the slacker debaters debate and go to tournaments. Do what schools in my district do and tell them "if you don't have your Oratory memorized your duet acting down and your debate case written then your not going to compete". Its not hard to do as a matter of fact it saves money. Also in my district speech teachers are debate coaches which means that the school pays them a little extra money to coach the team its included in their pay check the one they get for teaching. What supplies do people need for debate teams? Extemp boxes and a dolly? And for other academic programs what a stop watch and a calculator which the school supplies.

Sports on the other hand need money to keep their equipment updated. Faulty equipment leads to injuries which lead to law suits. You really want to see funding cuts from academic programs let football players play with broken helmets.

To take away funding from sports teams so that academic teams can go out of town for one more tournament is ridiculous. Sports teams deserve money regardless if they are good or bad. Sports teams bring in money unlike academic teams. Not only that but sports teams need the money to provide safety. The only reason academic teams need money is so they can buy hefty duty boxes rather than the 5 dollar boxes at the dollar store. Their is not favoritism with sports teams rather than academic teams. The school and district have how much they can spend on programs and they have divide it amongst many organizations and teams. If you have a problem with how much your teams are getting ask your state what they are doing with the money for schools cause my state is obliviously not investing into my education.
Posted by LDer09 9 years ago
LDer09
Kcougar52 I agree with you. I do believe pro got it. Also I don't agree with sports teams getting more money. I am on the debate team and we get little to no money and I hate that. We aren't the best team obviously you can see that with my debating skills suck. But I think its messed up when our Varsity team can't win a game to save their lives and we constantly win and get trophy's and we get little to no money. They should have it equal. Its the same with our High Q team. They go to Nationals each year and win and they get very little funding. But my school gets very little money from the district anyways. We are the bottom feeders and we shouldn't be worrying about funding for teams and organizations we should be worrying about funding for new books and better desk's and better teachers and administration.
Posted by kcougar52 9 years ago
kcougar52
This is the best debate I have seen so far. But, what the con fails to adress is some school's speech teams have no funding whatsoever, although they do extremely well. I agree, though with the point of not letting slackers go to tourneys. This was a tough decision, but I believe some of the cons statements are somewhat contradictory. For example, she says sports teams need more funding because they bring in more money, but you also said the money they get for admission is fundraising for the sport team. Therefore, I must vote Pro.
Posted by LDer09 9 years ago
LDer09
Yeah it was. You did very well. I hope to debate you on something that I actually agree with.
Posted by Kasemei 9 years ago
Kasemei
Wow! that was a fun debate! ^^
Posted by mmadderom 9 years ago
mmadderom
How "well" they perform is not relative to how much income they produce.
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
KasemeiLDer09Tied
Vote Placed by lexmastaflex013 9 years ago
lexmastaflex013
KasemeiLDer09Tied
Vote Placed by kcougar52 9 years ago
kcougar52
KasemeiLDer09Tied
Vote Placed by Kasemei 9 years ago
Kasemei
KasemeiLDer09Tied
Vote Placed by thegreatdebator 9 years ago
thegreatdebator
KasemeiLDer09Tied
Vote Placed by paul_tigger 9 years ago
paul_tigger
KasemeiLDer09Tied
Vote Placed by LDer09 9 years ago
LDer09
KasemeiLDer09Tied