Nickc92
Mpecora

Fear & Hope

Nickc92

Pro

1. Fear and hope are related.
2. Having hope entails anticipation of future events.
3. Anticipation for the future results in the mind stressing about whether or not those future evens will happen.
4. The mind stressing about these events results in fear of the possibility of them not occurring.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Having hope leads to fear.

- By Nick Cordella
Mpecora

Con

1. Fear is an emotion caused by being afraid of a person, place, or thing. It often comes from the belief that something is dangerous, painful, threatening, or upsetting
2. Hope is a want or desire for something to happen or be the case
3. It is possible that one could Hope for something to happen, but not fear the opposite. For example, I could hope I win the lottery, but I do not fear not winning the lottery. Hoping to win the lottery is something many people desire to happen, so this fits our definition of hope. However, people do not fear not winning the lottery. I can be disappointed if I do not win, but that is a different emotion than fear. I feel no terror, I am not afraid of the outcome of not winning the lottery.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. It is not necessarily the case that hope always leads to fear.
Nickc92

Pro

1. Hope is the desire for something or some event in the future to happen.
2. Fear is the desire for something or some event in the future not to happen.
3. When entering the lottery, people are spending money with the hope of gaining money.
4 People are afraid of spending or wasting their money on things and not getting anything in return.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. Therefore hope and fear are connected, even in the example of the lottery.

by John Corbett
Mpecora

Con

Mpecora forfeited this round.
Nickc92

Pro

In an effort to correct the missed argument, I will reiterate the points made in our first two arguments and our opponent can follow in the next round.

Fear and hope are related in the sense that having hope signifies the anticipation of future event(s). Having this anticipation means that the mind is stressed about the occurrence of said future event(s). This stress then leads to fear of the event(s) not occurring, therefore hope leads to fear.
Our opponent used the example of trying to win the lottery in order to illustrate that hope does not necessarily lead to fear. John states that hope is a desire for something, while fear os a desire for something not to happen. In the example of the lottery, people desire to not loose the money spent playing in the first place, therefore they fear this possible loss of money. This demonstrates that even in the example of the lottery, there is still a presence of hope and fear, and they are still connected.

We look forward to a follow up from our opponent.

- by Nick Cordella
Mpecora

Con

Note- I was in the middle of typing my argument and didn't notice the timer had run out, so I accidentally forfeited the round. I will attempt to make up for that here.

In response to John's argument. I take issue with 2 parts. The last premise, and the conclusion.

With the last premise, I find it to be plainly false. People are not necessarily afraid of spending or wasting money. If what you meant was that people are fearful of spending their money, based on your definition of fear in premise 2, then this statement would be true. But then the issue lies in our definition of fear, and I find the lack of terror or being afraid is an incorrect definition of fear.

For the conclusion, I would agree that fear and hope are connected, but they are not necessary conditions of each other. It is not necessarily the case that fear entails hope, and vice versa.

In response to Nick's argument: Nick says that people fear a possible loss of money. This can be true for some people. in order for people to fear the loss of money, it would have to negatively impact their life. The loss of that money would have to cause that person's quality of life to go down. What if a person is rich and the cost of playing the lottery is insignificant to them, would you still say they FEAR a potential loss of money? I wouldn't. Although some people might fear the loss the money, it is still not necessarily the case that because of hope, fear is required.
Nickc92

Pro

My only concern is whether or not terror is necessarily a part of fear or is it's own entity. I believe that terror is a separate emotion fear, a more intense feeling that would cause extreme anxiety and make it impossible to function in a rational manner. That being said, I believe it is possible for fear to exist in someone without them feeling terror. Take professional fighters for example. Many of them admit there they experience fear when going into fight, but they are not necessarily terrified of their opponents. They are still able to perform in a reasonable manner during the fight.
So in conclusion, fear does not necessarily have to include the feeling of terror.

- by Joh Corbett
Mpecora

Con

Even using your definitions of Fear and Hope:
I still find the argument to be invalid. There are certain instances in life where one can desire something to happen, but not necessarily NOT desire the opposite. One can feel positively toward something, and indifferent toward the opposite. Take for example the idea of someone hoping their child to have a baby. They may desire to become a grandparent, and hope their child chooses to have a kid of their own. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that they desire for opposite not to happen. They can be indifferent and not be harmed or upset in any way if their child does not have a baby, but if it does come to pass, this will bring them joy. So in conclusion, it is not necessarily the case that fear has to follow from hope.