Jifpop09
judeifeanyi

Federalism would solve many of Africa's problems.

Jifpop09

Jifpop09

Pro

I will be arguing that nearly every nation in Africa should adopt Federalism. 4th round will not be played unless I am pm'ed to extend it.
judeifeanyi

Con

I accept the challenge. But I beg to disagree that all african countries should adopt this federalism.
Jifpop09

Pro

Alright, let me clarify. The resolution is that nearly every nation should adopt federalism, and that it will solve many of Africas problems.

Africa has many seperatist groups
---------------------------------------
In case some of you were not aware, Africa is filled to the brim with separitist groups. They all want their own government or their own country. Their wants escalate to conflicts and violence, furthering the deppression that Africa's in. A simple fix exists though. Let different regions govern themselves, while also contributing to the national framework.

Centralism has failed Africa many times.
----------------------------------------------------
Africa is arguably one of the most instable places on earth. Multiple coups and rebel skirmishes happen each month. And a lot of the time, the coups work. This is due to the fact that for a rebel group to take control, they only have to overthrow the central government. As France discovered though, it is hard to coup a federal government. Evident by Mexico. This is due to the fact that you must bring all the state governments into your rule, which proves difficult.

Different Cultures, Religions, and Ethnic Groups.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Africa is the melting pot of religions, cultures, and ethnic groups. They ussualy stay together in different regions of the country, but they are faced with a problem. Their government is not capable of appeasing every ethnic group and culture. This can change though. Give each area a regional government, and they can appease the regional population.

https://www.cia.gov...
judeifeanyi

Con

The problem with my opponent is this, he layed faulty premise, and moreover,voicing all sorts of false information without proof. Let me start with rebutals.
My opponent said:...Africa is instable place to live. Thats a practical lie. Because in Africa, there are tons of countries with different weather condition and with different system of government which operates within state it governs. When you mentioned Africa, you mean all the states(country) is not stable to live in, dear, thats a fallacy.if you insist, give source of information and ponder on that. Also, my opponent said that there are coups every month, without even given source of information. I checked Ghana as a country in Africa, and result has shown that for the past 5years, there is no coup and also in Nigeria, for the past 14years, there is no coup. So please stop giving faulty assumptions. I move into my argument. My premise is this: due to the multi-cultural states in Africa, confederal system of government should be adopted. Ponder:Nigeria as a nation has over 250ethnic groups with 6geo political zones and in every election, there is selection.dailysun.com .owing to the fact that there is majority in this political zone more than the minority ones and yet there is federalism in that country. Every year, the minority will like to rule but the majority will use their population to retard this vision. What am I trying to say? That there should be a confederal system of government, whereby the 6geo political zones will be giving autonomous power with a weak centre so that they can rule within their pace without the central government interfering. My opponent do not know that there is quite a difference between the federal and confederal system of government. He wil define federal system and later will be using confederal system of government. Let me clarify you, FEDERALISM:a system of government inwhich individual states have control over their own pace but are controlled by central governmment for national decision. CONFEDERAL:a system inwhich zones control their pace without the interference of the central government. Punch.com, onlinenews.com, ebbc.com. I await my opponents speech
Jifpop09

Pro

Africa is instable place to live. Thats a practical lie. Because in Africa, there are tons of countries with different weather condition and with different system of government which operates within state it governs.

Africa is most certainly a unstable place to live. Pretty much every nation.

http://ffp.statesindex.org...

Also, my opponent said that there are coups every month, without even given source of information. I checked Ghana as a country in Africa, and result has shown that for the past 5years, there is no coup and also in Nigeria, for the past 14years, there is no coup.

Africa as a whole suffers from many coups. maybe not every month, but certainly a lot. Not having a coup in 14 years is not a good track record. Nations can't afford shifts in government every 100 years.

http://users.ox.ac.uk...

due to the multi-cultural states in Africa, confederal system of government should be adopted.

I was not aware you were going to make a proposal. This is not what is being debated, but I will argue it anyways.

http://www.vocabulary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

A confederation is a alliance or merger of countries. In what way will more alliances fix Africa's problems? Not to mention that not a single confederation exists today.

That there should be a confederal system of government, whereby the 6geo political zones will be giving autonomous power with a weak centre so that they can rule within their pace without the central government interfering.

This litteraly does nothing to help Africa. Countrys need a strong federal government that can enact change. Your proposing a breakup of Sudan into 9 different countries. This will not work. In America, we once had a thing called the Articles Of Confederation. It enacted a confederal government. Within weeks of our independence there were mass riots and rebbelions.

http://history.state.gov...

y opponent do not know that there is quite a difference between the federal and confederal system of government. He wil define federal system and later will be using confederal system of government.

I wish my opponent would not insult my intelligence before I get a chance to respond. Yes, I do know the difference between confederations and federations, and I know one does not work. You have ruined my debate by arguing something so off topic. The debate was whether African nations should adopt federalism. Not some proposed confederation idea, which has not been used for 200 years.
judeifeanyi

Con

The motion of this debate still remains:federalism will solve many of Africa's problem. Since am arguing against this motion, it then means I can suggest what form of government that will solve their problem instead of federalism, thats why I suggested confederal system of government.so for my opponent to say I have ruined his debate, it means that he don't even understand the motion which he gave.
My opponent restated that Africa is unstable place to live in.he even went further to give to give source, the source that stated failed nations instead of unstablility. Lets use South Africa as an example.that particular state is developed and is one of the most stable place to live in. Talk of Abuja,lagos,Ibadan and rest of them in Nigeria, it is suitable to live in. What determines the stability of a state? Is it their economy? Or social stratification? All this are not lagging in number of African states.
My opponent gave a faulty premise. Where he defined confederalism.he said,A confederation is a alliance or merger of countries.but then,confederalism is A union of states in which each member state retains some independent control over internal and external affairs. Thus, for international purposes, there are separate states, not just one state.what am I trying to say, that confederalism is the best in africa because of its multi cultural nature and federalism has made it difficult for rotation of powers. My opponent is yet to rebut any of my arguments starting from my first to last. Before I rest my case, let me address this, confederalism has not lasted for 2ooyears just like my opponent said. NIGERIA made use of this confederalism in 1914-1991 and there is rotation of power in the geo political zones.
Sources:parrotnewpaper.com, allafricannewspaper.com, freeonlinedictionary.com.
Jifpop09

Pro

Yes, the motion is that federalism would solve many problems. You should be arguing against federalism and not proposing and arguing a new resolution.

My opponent restated that Africa is unstable place to live in.he even went further to give to give source, the source that stated failed nations instead of unstablility.

The index is indeed about unstability. It is the rating on the chances of whether a country will fail or not. Which relates directly to stability. It even states that on the index.

Lets use South Africa as an example.that particular state is developed and is one of the most stable place to live in.

Even though it is the most stable place in Africa, it is still considered unstable overall, and is not as developed as you think. Further supporting my position, South Africa has adopted a unitary and Federal mixed government.

http://maonitreatise.blogspot.com...

http://www.law.berkeley.edu...

Talk of Abuja,lagos,Ibadan and rest of them in Nigeria, it is suitable to live in.

And guess what? Nigeria is a federal republic.

judeifeanyi

Con

That Nigeria is a federal state. Still doesn't change my argument. Indeed. NIGERIA currently is operating federalism but this is not favouring them. During the time of election, their will be crisis because they want rotation of power. And how can this be solved? Through confederal system of government where the 6geo political zones in Nigeria will have autonomous power with weak centre so that they can govern themselves at their own pace. My opponent even went further to give map of Nigeria, what does map of nigeria has to do with the debate? NIGERIA has over 25o ethnic groups with major 3 tribes (igbo,hausa and yoruba) all this while the minority are crying out loud that they want to rule their country only to meet their waterloo. My opponent equally said that south Africa is operating on federalism.it then means you are equally contradicting your argument because you have first of all agreed with me that south Africa is comfortable whereas you earlier stated that africa is unstable place to live in. Ponder, south Africa is running a bicarmal parliamentry system of government. In conclusion, I still maintain that federalism is not the best form of government that will help Africa. My opponent has failed in all ramification to prove that federalism is the best, and my opponent in the cause of this debate, did not rebut any of my argument. This shows am ahead of this argument...punch.com, vanguard.com
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Oh yes I am. I forgot, sorry.
Posted by judeifeanyi 3 years ago
judeifeanyi
Do you intend debating the fourth round? Based on your rule, you said it will not be posted unless you say so
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
None of you read the resolution. Nearly every nation.
Posted by Topkek 3 years ago
Topkek
It would be a good idea to specify which nations PRO is referring to when he says "Africa". Is it just sub-saharan Africa? Does it include the middle east as well?
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Jifpop09judeifeanyiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had horrible S&G. He should focus on readability by avoiding run on paragraphs. Other things need improving but multiple paragraphs is a good start. Con's source links didn't work. He needs to figure out how to fix that problem. Pro's sources are the only ones I counted. Con failed to refute pro's arguments.