linseyholvie
Ja50n

Female Students should be punished for "inappropriate clothing choices".

Ja50n

linseyholvie

Con

Female students should not have to change their clothing or be punished for having clothing that is considered socially acceptable.

Telling a girl that she has to go to "The Office" and such, is telling her she must change her appearance to not distract the males from their educational environment. However... is this not effecting the girls educational environment? Are you not just telling her she has to pull away from her studies to change clothing for the male benefit? You are telling her that the male educational environment is more important than her own... otherwise, stating that the men are more entitled to an education than her. Why does the girl have to be taught to respect her body, other than teaching male students to respect the opposite sex and teach them to look away?

Instead of making a girl feel insecure by having her only wearing certain things (creating a sort of guilt of themselves for the way guys think), we should teach male students/faculty not to over-sexualize female body parts. Who said that shoulders and thighs are sexual objects? The Scientific definition of "sex organs" involve the genital areas only. It is the male-mind that is deciding that these rules need to be enforced in order to contain a healthy learning environment... for themselves? Are tighter pants and smaller sleeves really lowering boys' test scores? Why cannot we tell boys to simply look at something else?

If you give it thought, the argument being made by school administrators is not that different from the arguments made by those who accuse rape victims of asking to be assaulted by dressing a certain way...

PLEASE NOTE: The term I used earlier, and what I would like to make a point of, is "Socially Acceptable". By that, I DO NOT MEAN that schools should not have dress codes, as this would result in many students (boy and girl) coming to school nude or in a completely sluttish manner.

My point of this, is that Schools should not punish girls for wearing clothes that show off features that would "distract the male peers".
Ja50n

Pro

Seeing as you have not provided definitions in the first round means I will present them.
Inappropriate - Not suitable or proper in the circumstances

Also, we are assuming that this in a private school where there is a clothing criteria, but the uniforms are being folded in an inappropriate manner.

Rebuttals
"However... is this not effecting the girls educational environment? Are you not just telling her she has to pull away from her studies to change clothing for the male benefit? You are telling her that the male educational environment is more important than her own... otherwise, stating that the men are more entitled to an education than her" and

"Instead of making a girl feel insecure by having her only wearing certain things (creating a sort of guilt of themselves for the way guys think), we should teach male students/faculty not to over-sexualize female body parts."

A principal has many more factors to vary in before he makes a decision about an act of misconduct. When the "female" is pulled out of class for inappropriate clothing, her class time could easily be made up in her own time if she took her studies seriously. As for male "benefit" , the blame here can not rest on males looking at women. It is a natural hormone that is in our body that is particularly potent at teenage years. By asking men not to look at women in revealing clothing is similar to women not looking at a shirtless man. In general, principals take into consideration the education of many over the education of a single individual. Thus the female should be punished for disrupting the class as the whole situation could be prevented if she just dressed appropriately.

"Why does the girl have to be taught to respect her body, other than teaching male students to respect the opposite sex and teach them to look away?"

A fair point but my opponent is being unreasonable in his/her decisions. Women in general should be taught to respect their body because its a good practice to have in the real world. As school is a learning environment it is important to teach young boys and girls common sense. When walking in public areas, it is discouraged by the public if someone dresses inappropriately, this can lead to misleading first impressions when talking to somebody else. By what I mean as inappropriate are mini skirts and tank tops just to name a few. Also, the world we live in is regrettably filled with hostile people, and if they see someone dressed in a similar appearance as before, they will most likely be taken advantage of. This scenario may have been avoided if the subject in mind was dressed appropriately.

Arguments
Females should be punished for inappropriate attire if teachers have deemed it to distracting in the classroom. If the female student is sent to the office we can assume that her outfit is fairly outrageous and has produced a fairly noticeable change in a formal learning environment. If students are not punished then the assumption is then made by students that any changes can be made on school uniform. This would lead to some disastrous results in school attire.

Another factor to add is that schools are considered a formal learning environment. Meaning that, what to wear and how to dress in a formal place is appropriate. By enforcing a strict dress code ensures that when students turn up to formal functions later in life. They know which clothes are considered appropriate for the occasion and which are not.

Sorry for the long reply I was just mulling over your arguments and trying to think of my own.
linseyholvie

Con

As misjudged in the first argument, I am assuming we are in a PUBLIC school environment. Examples of breaking these rules would be of tops with thinner straps, shorts above the knee, and other minor things.

"When the "female" is pulled out of class for inappropriate clothing, her class time could easily be made up in her own time if she took her studies seriously. As for male "benefit" , the blame here can not rest on males looking at women. It is a natural hormone that is in our body that is particularly potent at teenage years. By asking men not to look at women in revealing clothing is similar to women not looking at a shirtless man."

The female should not have to make up her studies on her own time, as she should not have to be pulled out of class in the first place. As for the natural hormone excuse, basically my opponent is telling me "Boys will be boys and that is a good enough reason to let them look at the female body." Boys do have hormonal spikes at this age, yes, but that should not be the females problem. I mentioned that this is creating a sort of guilt over the girls feelings for the reason of way the males think, and I believe that especially matters now. Girls cannot control the way the males think, but the men can at least control how they handle themselves. As for the women not looking at shirtless men, there aren't any shirtless boys in the school anyway, so I am confused as to how that even matters. Girls would be absolutely fine with a shirtless guy (if that even happened), because they don't have that urge to look at the boys like the the boys will have to look at the girls (hormonal wise).

"As school is a learning environment it is important to teach young boys and girls common sense. When walking in public areas, it is discouraged by the public if someone dresses inappropriately, this can lead to misleading first impressions when talking to somebody else. "

My opponent is yet blind to the fact that girls dress this way in public, and in a fashionable way, not a sluttish manner. I, being a female, have many clothing pieces fitted suitable for the public eye that wouldn't be as a bad first impression, however I would not be able to wear them in a school, if I so chose, because the males would look upon my body and I would "distract them." Yet in public eye, this would be the same, but it is the girls decision a to how she wants to look and is portrayed by others.

"If the female student is sent to the office we can assume that her outfit is fairly outrageous and has produced a fairly noticeable change in a formal learning environment."

The also blinding fact is that females are sent to the office for non-outrageous things more than the other end of the stick, also taking away from their studies and pride (again, within the male benefit).

Arguments
"Boys will be boys" is a weak argument and isn't a good enough excuse for anything. If we used this excuse, this could result in a female not getting justice for sexual misconduct.
Ja50n

Pro

As there is an unclear communication in the first round we will go with Con's definitions and conditions.
Note: if con wanted these terms and conditions he should have stated them in the first round.

I'm not stating that "Boys will be boys and that is a good enough reason to let them look at the female body." My point I'm trying to convey is that boys can control themselves but they deserve some free will in their decisions. Whether to look at a female because of her body is all up to their hormonal changes present in the males body. You cannot simply teach males to not admire opposite sexes because it goes against male students mentality. A similar analogy can be stated that females cannot help but admire someone who is of the opposite sex and is fairly muscular.

Regardless of what my opponent says we can assume what she is trying to state here is that "men should be courteous towards women by looking down when they dress inappropriately." which is simply not pragmatic. As my opponent said 'Girls cannot control the way the males think" from this quote we can officially state that if male students look at female students lustfully the fault is to be placed on no-one because my opponent just stated that male behaviour cannot be controlled. Thus it is safe to assume that the fault lies with the Female dressed inappropriately.

"Girls would be absolutely fine with a shirtless guy (if that even happened), because they don't have that urge to look at the boys like the the boys will have to look at the girls (hormonal wise)."
I admit that shirtless guys at school would be anything short of hilarious but it is a valid analogy. As for females not looking at shirtless men I would firmly deny that statement. If males can look lustfully at women what is stopping women from looking lustfully back at men?

"if I so chose, because the males would look upon my body and I would "distract them." Yet in public eye, this would be the same, but it is the girls decision a to how she wants to look and is portrayed by others."

An opaque argument to be stated in my opinion. My argument is stating that school's teach women how to dress in a formal environment, yet Con is stating that in public the female would receive a similar result? Please stick to your topic that females should be punished at school for dressing inappropriately. As this is irrelevant to the topic, her rebuttal shall be discarded.
linseyholvie

Con

linseyholvie forfeited this round.
Ja50n

Pro

Based on the following reasons, females should be punished when wearing inappropriate clothing. Inappropriate clothing disrupts students from doing their work and by punishing students for inappropriate attire it helps teach naive students how to dress in a formal environment.

Note: these arguments still stand as Con has failed to rebut these points successfully due to her forfeiture in the third round.

I would normally rebut on Con's points in round 3 but as she has forfeited I can think of no another way to extend this argument.
Posted by Jelera 2 years ago
Jelera
Here's the thing, school aged children should not be wearing halter tops and short shorts to school but I believe that of both sexes. Not that I've ever actually seen a boy were those things but my point is, sexy, revealing clothing isn't appropriate for either gender when they're still in school. And I don't think it's about boys being distracted or girls paying more attention to the boys. I think it's about a parent's responsibility to make sure their child dresses appropriately for what we could, arguably call, the child's profession. So dress professionally.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
linseyholvieJa50nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Mray56 2 years ago
Mray56
linseyholvieJa50nTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture and Pro presented some very strong arguments.
Vote Placed by mishapqueen 2 years ago
mishapqueen
linseyholvieJa50nTied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought that Pro had a good, balanced, and fair view and did a good job with a sticky subject. Con forfeited, making the decision easy.