Tadeusz
EdRoKe

Feminism: Is the feminist movement currently necessary?

Tadeusz

Con

I am going to argue the stance that feminism, although necessary to bring society to equality, is no longer needed in countries such as the UK and other European countries. The reason for this is, that, according to this stance equality has already been achieved. Both men and women can vote. Both men and woman can work, for equal wages. Both men and women are able to lead whatever lifestyle they wish. Society has transformed, and I do no longer believe the modern feminists stand for equality, but are starting to fabricate statistics. For example, the statistic that women earn 77 cents for each dollar a man earns. This is untrue, as the survey conducted to reach this figure did not take into account critical variables, and instead just subtracted the average wage of the woman from that of a man. They did not take into account job differences, working hours, etc. Furthermore, women and men are generally treated equally in society, as a rule, and in general respected as individuals.
EdRoKe

Pro

Feminism: The advocacy of women"s rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. -Oxford Dictionary.
Based on this definition, we must address political, social, and economic feminist issues in this debate. If I am able to prove that even one major issue still exists in the developed world, I will have proved feminism to be necessary in developed nations.

Contention 1: Politcal Issue: Abortion
Abortion is one of the most controversial current political issues in developed nations. In fact, over 100 bills against abortion have been created in America, in 2015 alone. Abortion itself is a very complex issue, but no matter what, laws regarding it violate the autonomy of women. Autonomy is a political right, so it falls under the category of feminist issues. Feminists are still necessary to advocate for the rights of women to simply have control over their own bodies.

I am out of characters, so I will state the rest of my contentions in round 2. Thank you.
Tadeusz

Con

Tadeusz forfeited this round.
EdRoKe

Pro

EdRoKe forfeited this round.
Tadeusz

Con

Tadeusz forfeited this round.
EdRoKe

Pro

I guess this debate is a dud. Oh well. :(
Posted by chrisjachimiak 2 years ago
chrisjachimiak
If no one accepts, I will.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
I'm excited to watch this, hopefully someone like STEFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will accept.
Posted by Zack95 2 years ago
Zack95
There should be an inequality movement in everybody, race, culture, gender, religion, height and age then. Nothing is equal lol.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
The feminist movement IS an equality movement. There will be a minority of deviants in any form of an equality movement, but that does not change goal of purpose of the majority within that movement.
Posted by Kvasir 2 years ago
Kvasir
I agree with Instigator - It should be an equality movement, not a feminist movement.
Posted by RetroToast 2 years ago
RetroToast
He's right you know.