JoeLomas
hillkill65

Feminism is a negative to society

JoeLomas

Pro

I am 15 years old and male. I live in England and go to high school. In my school, I feel that women are strongly encouraged to go into stem fields and to try harder in relation to education. This is not purely anecdotal as it has been shown that women are 2 to 1 more likely to get a college application fulfilled and are more likely to fall to positive discrimination and therefore, get jobs they maybe be unqualified for because of their sex.

I believe in modern society women are advantaged in many ways, both socially and politically. Because of the feminist movements and movements alike, women are encouraged into places of political power once again even if unqualified.

In addition, you hear politicians such as the likes of Barrack Obama to repeat the statement that 'Women earn less than men'. This is completely false and it shows how women are commonly portrayed to be victimized, when in fact, they are so privileged that they complain about being a victim when they are clearly not.

Round 1 - Statement on beliefs
Other Rounds are whatever you'd like

I hope people accept my statement, and I hope my opposition can respect my opinion.
hillkill65

Con

I'll keep it short and simple since round one is for opening statements, i.e. our opinions. I personally believe opinions have no weight in a debate because you cannot disprove an opinion, but that is just my opinion. For example, I could state that women are demons sent from Satan, obviously quite silly, but it is my opinion and you can't really do anything about it.

I believe Feminism is a positive force to society. If we look at the definition of Feminism-"the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.(1)" I do not see how this could be negative in any way since it would only help achieve equality for society as a whole.

To conclude my opening statements I plan to show that feminism is not negative to society. Best of luck to my opponent and I await his argument.

JoeLomas

Pro

Thank you!

Well firstly I'd like to say that third wave feminism is not what feminism used to be. Feminism used to be a well needed cause and I am a supporter of the older version of it. However, I believe that the current version is different. In today's society, feminists complain about first-world problems and things that have almost no correlation with the official movement. You can see from 'typical' feminists like Anita Sarkesian that oppose the efforts of people such as 'The Amazing Atheist' in their efforts to make change where it happens most.

Secondly, feminists only tackle problems facing women. You can see it even in the definition. Men and women have been deceived by feminists in means to victimize women. Feminists complain about a 'wage gap' which has been completely disproved. They complain about being unequal in jobs, when that is clearly down to the biological traits of both men and women. They complain about being victims of sexual violence when over 50% of rape victims of rape are male. They do not tackle these problems. As a high school student it is on the curriculum to learn about women's history and to essentially learn about how idiotic and sexist men are (which in some cases I can understand, such as 1900s England.)

Finally, As a 'cisgender white male' which is the bane of the average feminist's existence, I am made out to be a rapist, I am made out to be insignificant, I am made out to be a: homophobic, trans-phobic, racist and islamophobic person (I have no ideas why feminists even tackle these). Is this beneficial to men?

Men make up 50% of the world's population. Sure, women are oppressed, but not in this modern society where women are more advanced in education, are treated like special snowflakes just because of their gender. But men are treated like disgusting, insignificant people.

Is a movement which focuses on false information and insignificant 'problems' ONLY relating to women truly beneficial to men or to women?
hillkill65

Con

hillkill65 forfeited this round.
JoeLomas

Pro

JoeLomas forfeited this round.
hillkill65

Con

hillkill65 forfeited this round.
JoeLomas

Pro

Feminism = Cancer ;)
hillkill65

Con

hillkill65 forfeited this round.
JoeLomas

Pro

JoeLomas forfeited this round.
hillkill65

Con

hillkill65 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 9 months ago
Ragnar
Good opening. I disagree with the conclusion, but you've clearly put real thought into this.