Feminism is irrelevant in today's society

I am looking to debate someone that supports modern feminism, is familiar with their stances and believes that feminism is still needed in today's society. I'm taking the position that feminism is irrelevant and no longer needed. First round is for accepting and I'll let you make the first argument. Let's keep it civil and thanks in advance!

Thank you Pro for this debate. I myself am a feminist, and I feel very strongly on this subject. Since you didn't bestow any rules, I will use this round for acceptance and provide some definitions.
As Con, I will provide you with substantial arguments as to *why* we need Feminism, and how it's a benefit.

Since you didn't state any definitions, I shall do so myself.

Feminism : the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

Irrelevant : not connected with or relevant to something.

Society : the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.
I look forward to a fun debate, good luck!

I appreciate you taking the time to debate me on this issue. Anyways...

So I would consider myself an anti-feminist, but I believe in equal rights. Women are people and they have the ability to do what they please in society, but what I mean by anti-feminism is that today I feel that more and more, feminists are fabricating an evil system to fight against when the fight was won years ago. I also feel that some feminists these days are mistaking equal rights with equal results in life, which is ridiculous to fight for absolutely equal results in life. I also feel that feminism in this day and age could and does harbor true misandrists, which truly believe that women are superior to men in every facet of life, and wish to reduce them down to 10% of the Earth's population, or just celebrate International Male Castration Day.

But never mind what my assertions are, let's get into the nitty-gritty.

I'm just going to pull out of a (nonexistent) hat three issues of feminism...

Domestic violence

The pay gap

Let's take a look at domestic violence first.

We all have the image of an abusive drunk of a husband smacking around his defenseless wife burned in our minds by the news and popular media, but when do we ever hear of the other way around? The abusive woman smacking around his husband? "Well why doesn't he fight back?" Because the media and feminists tell him day in and day out that by fighting back, he's an abuser and shouldn't do it. But don't just take my word for it, here is some information from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health put into layman's terms: "This statistic was undoubtedly the most striking: in committing acts of domestic violence, more women than men (25 percent versus 11 percent) were responsible. In fact, in the 71 percent of nonreciprocal partner violence instances, the instigator was the woman. This flies in the face of the long-held belief that female aggression in a relationship is most often predicated on self-defense." Also in an article, another quote: "The Department of Psychology at California State University, Long Beach, compiled a bibliography that examined 286 scholarly investigations, 221 empirical studies and 65 reviews and/or analyses demonstrating that which we are reluctant to discuss " the uncomfortable reality that women are as physically aggressive, or even more so, than men in their relationships with their spouses or male partners." So maybe, feminists should stop suggesting that women are victims all the time.

So let's roll right into the next issue, consent.

It seems that feminists these days like to paint any sexual encounter that a woman didn't enjoy and/or wasn't sober to say yes to as a rape and make the man a rapist, but I have a problem with this, because I believe that implied consent is a thing. I'm not alone here, Camille Paglia, who most feminazis (as they are sometimes called) deny as a real feminist, once said in an interview, "If a girl goes to a fraternity party dressed like Madonna, is drinking 11 tequilas, and goes up to a man's room, she is communicating below the level of language." Besides, here's a feminist quote for ya: "In a patriarchal society, all heterosexual intercourse is rape because women, as a group, are not strong enough to give meaningful consent." " Catherine MacKinnon If you believe her, women are not strong enough to do what they want and make their own choices in life. Which I don't believe, because women are individuals.

Now, let's segway right into the last issue, the pay gap. No matter how often this gets debunked, it always survives, somehow (maybe because it's a bit of inconvenient truth) In the words of Miss Christina Hoff Sommers, "The bottom line: the 23-cent gender pay gap is simply the difference between the average earnings of all men and women working full-time. It does not account for differences in occupations, positions, education, job tenure or hours worked per week. When such relevant factors are considered, the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing." Plus I also cited some more information for you. Just to put the cherry on this sundae, the wage gap, if it ever existed, it legally should have gone away in 1963 when JFK signed such legislation.

Now, feel free to add to the debate, because, I'd like to have an actual debate about feminism without getting called misogynistic, a mansplainer, a rape apologist, and every other feminist name from A-Z.

Also, I wanted to point out that I meant to say in the title Feminism is unnecessary, not irrelevant. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Okay, so let's scratch my definition of irrelevant then and define "unnecessary".

[1] Unnecessary: not needed.

I will start of by rebutting some of your points.

Domestic Violence

1) In your first argument, you claim that women are the abusers, not men, and that women abuse men more often then men abuse women. If we take a look at a credible source, such as (DVS) "Domestic Violence Statistics" you will see that the statistics for women whom are abused are much more serious and of a higher rate then men who are abused.

• Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.

• Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.

• Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.

• Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.

• Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.

• Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.

• Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.

• Domestic violence victims lose nearly 8 million days of paid work per year in the US alone—the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs.

• Based on reports from 10 countries, between 55 percent and 95 percent of women who had been physically abused by their partners had never contacted non-governmental organizations, shelters, or the police for help.

• The costs of intimate partner violence in the US alone exceed $5.8 billion per year: $4.1 billion are for direct medical and health care services, while productivity losses account for nearly $1.8 billion.

• Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.

Now, let's compare this to the men whom have been abused statistics.

[3] Nearly, 15% of women (14.8%) and 4% of men have been injured as a result of IPV that included rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.[iii]

As you can see, there is a dramatic difference in the percentage of both genders who have been taken advantage of or have been beaten.

Here you are simply that if a women gets raped, and or is taken advantage of, it's simply her fault. This is in fact, very untrue. When someone is drunk, they have no control over their mind. Alcohol has a major impact on the brain, so people aren't allowed to control themselves. [4] Alcohol interferes with the brain’s communication pathways, and can affect the way the brain looks and works. These disruptions can change mood and behavior, and make it harder to think clearly and move with coordination.

As you can see, you don't have control over your body. So if a guy tries to rape a women while she is drunk, he will more then likely succeed because the girl is unaware of her environment, thus leading to rape.

Pay Gap

In this claim, my opponent admits that there is in fact a gay gap by saying that there is a "23 cent" gap, then he seems to get confused and say that "Just to put the cherry on this sundae, the wage gap, if it ever existed, it legally should have gone away in 1963 when JFK signed such legislation.

Another problem I have here is he says " should have gone away in 1963 when JFK signed such legislation."

Okay then my question here is:

What did JFK sign?

And what should have gone away?

My opponent fails to argue that the pay gap is a issue.

Why Feminism is necessary.

First, I would like to give you a background on how Feminism started AKA "The Women's Movement.

[5] Charles Fourier, a Utopian Socialist and French philosopher, is credited with having coined the word "féminisme" in 1837.[11] The words "féminisme" ("feminisme") and "féminist" ("feminist") first appeared in France and the Netherlands in 1872,[12] Great Britain in the 1890s, and the United States in 1910,[13][14] and the Oxford English Dictionary lists 1852 as the year of the first appearance of "feminist"[15] and 1895 for "feminism".[16] Depending on historical moment, culture and country, feminists around the world have had different causes and goals. Most western feminist historians assert that all movements that work to obtain women's rights should be considered feminist movements, even when they did not (or do not) apply the term to themselves.[17][18][19][20][21][22] Other historians assert that the term should be limited to the modern feminist movement and its descendants. Those historians use the label "protofeminist" to describe earlier movements.[23]

In today's society, men want to ignore the fact that women get taken advantage of way too much. Who is to stand up for them? This is why we have feminist. To 1, protect our right's and 2, to protect our self's and stand up for what is wrong. Men like to think that we are all equal when that in fact isn't the case, people would rather ignore the fact that we aren't equal because they'd rather not deal with it.

14 reasons why we need Feminism.

1. Because women still dealwith catcalling on a daily basis.

2. Because there are currently only 20 women serving in the United States Senate, compared to 80 men.

3. Because America is still very much a patriarchy.

4. Because although we’ve made some great progress with female CEOs

5. Overall, women still earn less money than men with the same education level.

6. Because a woman’s appearance is still under a microscope.

7. Because in the United States, a woman is raped every six seconds.

8. And more often than not, the victim is blamed.

9. Because women have been fired because of their looks.

10. Because women experience terror when walking alone at night.

11. Because pepper spray shouldn’t have to be a necessity for women to feel safe.

12. Because women should be allowed to decide what happens to their bodies.

13. Because in a domestic abuse case, people ask, “Why did she stay?” instead of, “Why did he abuse?”

14. And because even if you’ve never personally experienced any of these things, other women do…every single day.

We women have the freedom to do what we want, nobody should be able to wake away our freedom of speech as stated in the first Amendment.

I look forward to you argument!

ForestMan777 forfeited this round.

ForestMan777 forfeited this round.

Vote Con.
Posted by usernamesareannoying 1 year ago
Hmm. I'd like to debate Lee in a debate similar to this :)
Posted by kasmic 1 year ago
Shame he forfeit. Well done Lee001!
Posted by DanMGTOW 1 year ago
i'm a feminist because women should compose 50% of the military, police, firefighters
for decades women have said they can do any job that a man can do
but actions speak much louder than words do, and so far most women have failed to meet the standards
it seems to me that women want all of the privileges that men have, but none (or few) of the responsibilities that go along with it.

on a side note why aren't their daily protests of women being SEGREGATED from professional sports
i realize that most men are too weak to treat women as equals, but this is 2015 and maybe someday women will DESERVE to compete head to head against men.
can you imagine the outrage if blacks weren't allowed to play in the NBA, or NFL etc., but were forced to different leagues?
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Only winners get cookies and gold stars. Maybe after the debate is done...
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Do I get a cookie too?
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Yay! *Pops confetti*
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Feminism is necessary in today's society!
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
That is what he means, I hope Con doesn't run with it being merely relevant to today's society but is also necessary.
Posted by tsume 1 year ago
I believe you mean unnecessary? Sorry, that just bothers me a little. Although I believe that modern feminism is significantly less important in the United States now, in other countries Women's rights suffer greatly. Will look forward to seeing how this debate plays out, and the points both of you make. Good luck.
Posted by Himans45 1 year ago
If you don't have an opponent by tomorrow I might accept.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro, so conduct to Con. Arguments also go to Con, because after Con finished refuting, and gave a list of her own arguments, Pro forfeited the rest of the debate, so these arguments were left standing by the end.
Vote Placed by kasmic 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: conduct to con for pro's forfeits. Contentions never refuted so con's arguments are left untouched.