Rodrack
BrandonButterworth

Feminism is morally good

Rodrack

Pro

Understand feminism as a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women and morality as the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are "good" (or right) and those that are "bad" (or wrong).

Under this context, I will be arguing pro, which means I defend the case of feminism being morally good, as opposed to any ideology that enters in direct conflict with feminism.

First round is for acceptance.
BrandonButterworth

Con

I lost all respect for feminists, and feminism in general, once they embraced abortion. I believe abortion to be morally wrong; therefore, feminism, a movement that supports abortion, is morally wrong. This is the point i'll be arguing. I am entirely for equal rights.
Rodrack

Pro

I will begin by stating that feminism does not necessarily include abortion among it's principles. Refer, for example, to the Feminists for Life NGO [1]. I was aiming for a debate focused on gender equality and civil rights, not on the particular issue of abortion, so I no longer see a chance for a debate to develop here.

Personally, I am in favor of abortion in very particular cases, but I am not ready to debate it under the simple "abortion is morally good" premise. I would gladly debate you on abortion, but a totally different set of considerations has to be adopted forehand.

I recommend to drop this debate and I ask voters to declare a tie; the reason being that my debate was taken out of context into something I was not intending to debate.

[1] http://www.feministsforlife.org...
BrandonButterworth

Con

Your debate wasn't taken out of context. If morality doesn't pertain to murder, what does it pertain to? But if you wish to drop the debate I'm fine with that.
Rodrack

Pro

I'm sorry, I expressed myself wrong. I didn't mean you deliberately took my debate out of context by relating morality to abortion. What I wanted to say is that feminism doesn't necessarily defend abortion. While it is true that many feminists support abortion as a form of female right, there are many feminist pro-life organizations. In fact, the first feminists were totally against abortion.

I myself was prepared for a debate on the morality of feminism, not abortion. Since you are not debating against equal rights (the basis for feminism), but against abortion, I feel the debate as I proposed it is no longer possible. This is why I am deciding to drop the debate.
BrandonButterworth

Con

Alright. I hesitated accepting this debate for the same reason.
Posted by Awood8964 3 years ago
Awood8964
Certainly!
Posted by Rodrack 3 years ago
Rodrack
DoctorDeku had accepted to debate me, but he didn't answer the question which now I must ask you. Are you willing to debate given the considerations I took and the definitions of morality and feminism that I provided? If so, the debate is on.
Posted by Awood8964 3 years ago
Awood8964
I would accept, that is of course, if you haven't already closed the debate?
Posted by Rodrack 3 years ago
Rodrack
You accept under the definition I gave of feminism?
Posted by DoctorDeku 3 years ago
DoctorDeku
I'll accept this challenge if you want to re-do it.
Posted by Rodrack 3 years ago
Rodrack
Well, I went for Wikipedia's definition of feminism, because it's what I had at hand. I am willing to broaden the definition, as long as we keep it's meaning and we don't fall in confusions. Feminism is an ideology of equality and not (as some people think) of misandry, matriarchy or female supremacy.
Posted by 123chess456 3 years ago
123chess456
I'd accept if you'd provide a more neutral definition of feminism
Posted by Rodrack 3 years ago
Rodrack
It would surprise you how many people "who think equality between genders is a bad thing" I've met. However, I don't think I'll find that kind of people here. Anyways, one does not necessarily have to agree with an idea to defend it in a debate, it's part of the art of debating. I know Con has a harder case than me, but I'm looking forward to a more skilled debater than myself who can overcome the challenge.
Posted by DakotaKrafick 3 years ago
DakotaKrafick
Who would take Con given that definition of "feminism"? Someone who thinks equality between genders is a bad thing?
Vote Placed by rross 3 years ago
rross
RodrackBrandonButterworthTied
Reasons for voting decision: counter silvertechfilms. Dear me, DoctorDeku, I never thought I'd see YOU votebombing. How shocking. How awful.
Vote Placed by silvertechfilms 3 years ago
silvertechfilms
RodrackBrandonButterworthTied
Reasons for voting decision: ...
Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
GOP
RodrackBrandonButterworthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering DoctorDeku. Pro asked us voters to keep this a tie (with Con's approval). DoctorDeku broke that.
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 3 years ago
DoctorDeku
RodrackBrandonButterworthTied
Reasons for voting decision: This hurts me to vote pro, but con completely screwed up this debate. I was excited to read a debate on feminism too.