SirMaximus
debate_freak

Feminism is not misandry, but rather the belief in gender equality

SirMaximus

SirMaximus

Pro

In this debate, I am going to argue that feminism is not misandry, but rather the belief in gender equality.

Before we begin, I will define the definitions of "misandry", "sexism", and "gender equality". I define "misandry" as the belief that males are inherently inferior to females. I define "sexism" as the belief that one gender is superior to at least one other gender. Note that I said "at least". Finally, I define "gender equality" as the belief that no gender is inherently superior to any other gender - that is, being male isn't inherently better than being female, being female isn't inherently better than being male, etc. If someone accepts this debate and they wish to challenge one or more of these definitions, they may do so.

Why am I taking the proposition that feminism is not misandry, but rather the belief in gender equality? Because, overall, women have it off far worse than men do. Here are some examples:
1) If a woman sleeps with many people, she's shamed and called a slut. If a man sleeps with many people, he's revered and called a stud. That is a blatant double standard in our society that is sexist against women.
2) Women are sexually objectified far more than men are. Just look up the word "sexy" on Google Images, and you will see that nearly all of the pictures are of women.
3) In Saudi Arabia, women are not legally allowed to drive, but men are. That is a blatant double standard against women.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Overall, women have it off far worse than men do, so that is why I am taking the stance in this debate that I am taking. If you disagree, I welcome you to accept this debate.
debate_freak

Con

Equal rights for all should be upheld over the right of a few.
SirMaximus

Pro

I do believe in the rights of men as well as the rights of women. The reason I'm a feminist is that there is very little sexism against men compared to sexism against women. Feminism focuses on the problems that women face rather than the problems that men face because men face very few problems, while women face many problems. Feminists want women to have the rights that men already have. By saying that equal rights for people of all genders should be upheld over the rights of a few women, you're ignoring the fact that men already have rights in nearly every place in the world. The same can not be said for women.
debate_freak

Con

Still all rights should be upheld all the time at all times
SirMaximus

Pro

Feminism actually does care about the rights of men, as misogyny sometimes adversely affects men. (I know that I said that women overall have it off far worse than men do, but I did not mean that sexism only adversely affects women, but rather that sexism against women is far more common than sexism against men. For the record, I'm just trying to clarify right now.) It's a misogynistic and patriarchal view not to believe men who say that they have been raped. It's misogynistic to think that men can't get raped because "real men" want to have sex all the time anyway. Misogynists say, "Wow, that man claims to have been raped? That must be false, as that would make him a coward, which only men are." All in all, since sexism against women can negatively affect men, feminism actually is a movement that is meant to protect the rights of men, so I argue that my opponent is wrong when they say that "Still all rights should be upheld all the time at all times".
debate_freak

Con

debate_freak forfeited this round.
SirMaximus

Pro

Even though my opponent has forfeited this round, I would like to make another point about the sexism against women that exists in society. In society, it is considered acceptable for men to show their nipples, but not for women. This is a blatant double standard. Some people might object, and say that the nipples of women are inherently more sexual than the nipples of men. However, I disagree. The nipples of women have both the functions of lactating and of sexual arousal. The nipples of men only have the function of the latter, except for in some rare cases. So, it would be illogical to deny that this is a double standard in society.
debate_freak

Con

debate_freak forfeited this round.
SirMaximus

Pro

I don't have much to say, as my opponent has forfeited this round, but I would like to correct an error that I made in Round 3. I said, and I quote, "Misogynists say, 'Wow, that man claims to have been raped? That must be false, as that would make him a coward, which only men are.'" I meant to say, "Misogynists say, 'Wow, that man claims to have been raped? That must be false, as that would make him a coward, which only women are.'" I realized that I had made an error, so I am correcting it now.
debate_freak

Con

debate_freak forfeited this round.
Posted by SirMaximus 1 year ago
SirMaximus
I made a mistake in my argument when I said "'Wow, that man claims to have been raped? That must be false, as that would make him a coward, which only men are.'" I meant to have said "'Wow, that man claims to have been raped? That must be false, as that would make him a coward, which only women are.'" I sincerely apologize.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
SirMaximusdebate_freakTied