InkyBunny
BrendanD19

Feminism should not have been created in the beginning.

InkyBunny has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

InkyBunny

Pro

I know what you're thinking. I sound crazy. Why on earth with me, a girl wish that feminism wasn't born in the first place. Let me tell you why. Because you can not balance your drink if you tip it to one side. Meaning It should have started gender neutral in the beginning. That would have been a healthier way of tackling the issues of female rights and the inequality that happens between each gender. If you put a label on something to favor one side expect it to bite society right back in the butt in the future. Feminism is not healthy to me. Gender equality is healthy. If we started with that we would have not only tackle the issues of women and men but end with a healthy view of each other. That healthy view is we are different but equal as human beings. Its not a competition. It shouldn't be. We will always be different. You can not get rid of sexism if two sexes exist. I know a lot of you favor women and that's why there will be always inequality. I myself look past my identity and my favoritism and this is just my practical way of thinking.
BrendanD19

Con

The pro argues that feminism should not have been created in the first place, however since Feminism was first established in the 1830s, the movement has brought about many positive changes, many of which we may take for granted today.
Prior to the inception of Feminism, women had very little rights, personal, social, political or economic. Women were not allowed to vote, own property, inherit money or divorce their husbands. Feminism first arose to address these and many other issues and with great success. Had it not been for feminism the status quo for women would have been maintained. As Fredrick Douglas said "Power concedes nothing without a demand", and in the case of women's rights feminism was the demand.
The issue with the pro's argument is that she argues that Feminism focuses on the issues of women and this does not lead to balance and gender equality, however this means that there must be equality, to begin with, however as I pointed out, prior to the dawn of feminism, women were in no way equal to men and were in every way subservient to men. The Pro thinks that sexism will always exist because there are two sexes, however, the issue with this is that feminism is not about resolving individual prejudices, but about power structures which create inequality.

http://people.howstuffworks.com...
InkyBunny

Pro

Had it not been for feminism the status quo for women would have been maintained. What exactly is the status quo.
You do not need a unbalanced diversion to solve an unbalanced way of life. Look at martin Luther king junior for example. He did not believe it was about blacks but he believed it was about blacks and whites. So what is stopping us today with racism. The fact that people believe it's one side. Feminism did a lot that I do not take for granted but gender equality would have done more. The issue of feminism might say it is about power structure in the beginning but in many first world countries you can see it's about more so sexism. A unhealthy view of equality between men and women. When you start with something the best way to end with the best results is to tackle all of the issues instead of one. Of course there might be some issues at that time that are more important but does it really need to be pointed out or just solved? It's possible for feminism to be replaced with a more gender neutral definition and view of equality. It would have still made me people aware unequal differences between men and women. Unequal rights. I'm not saying feminism is horrible but I'm saying it is to concentrated on women. As in the definition and the word itself. Women had no equal rights but is feminism the best solution or just a solution that got popular?
BrendanD19

Con

The Pro asks what I am referring to when I say status quo. By status quo, I am referring to the status of women prior to the development of feminism when women could not vote or own property.
The Pro then claims that "You don't need an unbalanced diversion to solve and unbalanced way of life" and cites the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. This seems to ignore the work of Dr. King as Dr. King clearly understood the civil rights struggle as the "Negro struggle for freedom," as he preferred to it in the 1963 letter from Birmingham jail.
The Pro seems to believe that in order to achieve equality you must look at both sides equally, however, in order to do this there must be equality. The reason that the struggle for racial equality focuses so heavily on the African American community is because the African American community is at a disadvantage, while White people are at an advantage.
The goal of feminism is the balance the equation when men are at an advantage. In order to balance the equation, therefore, you must add to the side of women and give them parity with men.
The pro then concedes that feminism has brought about major positive changes but then asks if feminism was really the best solution. This is a concession of a key point in this debate. The pro is trying to prove that "Feminism should not have been created in the beginning." By conceding that feminism has made positive changes, the Pro has undermined her own argument. If feminism had not been created these changes simply would not have been seen because feminism is the reason these changes happened.
Additionally, the Pro asks if feminism is just the solution that became popular, but this ignores the fact that feminism is the name given to the movement that pushed the solution. It was not one of the several options, it was the only option pushing for those changes.

https://web.cn.edu...
Posted by BrendanD19 1 year ago
BrendanD19
You clearly have no idea what Humanism means. Humanism is an ethical philosophy which believes that humans, rather than higher beings or the supernatural decide what is moral and ethical. It has nothing to do with feminism and most humanists I know are also feminists.
https://americanhumanist.org...
Posted by Lanceiv 1 year ago
Lanceiv
I'm pro. Feminism has done good things, but ignores men's rights. Now do we need a "Masculism"? No, we need equality and "Humanism".
Posted by InkyBunny 1 year ago
InkyBunny
Hawomen clearly doesn't understand where I am coming from.
Posted by HAwoman 1 year ago
HAwoman
Pro is clearly not capable of understanding the context of feminism and why it was needed. Why should the suffragettes fight for men's rights when men were the ones who had been oppressing them for centuries? Ridiculous debate.