DATXDUDE
SirStegosaurus

Feminism

DATXDUDE

DATXDUDE

Con

Modern feminism is harmful for many reasons. The first hint at this is the prefix "Fem", or about women. Not about men, because feminism doesn't care about inequality towards men.

Now, I would like to address the issue of the "wage gap". The wage gap of 77% was a statistic measured many years ago. This is just assuming this statistic is true, which I don't think it is.

Next I would like to address the issue of domestic violence. Is domestic violence against women a problem? Yes. Of course it is. However, statistics have pointed out that close to 40% of domestic violence victims are men. Little to no attention has been given to this issue

Finally, I would like to address body image. Are women pressured to stay thin? As with domestic violence, yes. They are. But, again, so are men.

If anyone has read this far, thank you. I hope that someone will debate with me to help me shed light on feminism.
SirStegosaurus

Pro

"Modern feminism is harmful for many reasons. The first hint at this is the prefix "Fem", or about women. Not about men, because feminism doesn't care about inequality towards men."
Well, there has been many times in history where women have been treated unfairly. There has not been any need for manism, (or whatever you call it), as men have been dominant throughout history. I do not believe there has been a time in history where women ruled but men were treated unfairly. (There has likely been small situations like that, though.)
"Now, I would like to address the issue of the "wage gap". The wage gap of 77% was a statistic measured many years ago. This is just assuming this statistic is true, which I don't think it is."
There is a pay gap, because typically men choose the jobs that pay more while women choose the jobs that pay less.
"Next I would like to address the issue of domestic violence. Is domestic violence against women a problem? Yes. Of course it is. However, statistics have pointed out that close to 40% of domestic violence victims are men. Little to no attention has been given to this issue"
Although there has been domestic violence against men before, there is mostly violence against females, thus why it is the focus. But I must say we should also pay attention to the violence against men, that is not good at all.
"Finally, I would like to address body image. Are women pressured to stay thin? As with domestic violence, yes. They are. But, again, so are men."
Yes. But once again, it mainly affects women, thus why it is the focus. But I cannot agree with their suffering either.

Although, if men have so many problems, than why do they not try to make it known like the women do? Or at least get help? :/
DATXDUDE

Con

Masculism is the group dedicated to men's rights, and the members are called MRA's(Mens' Rights Activists). However, I believe masculism is wrong in the same way feminism is wrong: It focuses on gender, rather than the individual, which is why I am a humanist. We are not talking about history, where, as you have said, men have been dominant, though, we are talking about the present.

Give me evidence that there is a pay gap, and it is not, indeed, women simply choosing jobs that pay less. I want to be proven wrong. Statistics are proven, words are just, well... words.

Yes, there is more domestic violence against women than men. However, look up PSA's for domestic violence. I am willing to bet that no where near 20% of the PSA's will portray women being abused, let alone 40%.

Personally, I have seen more males being made fun of for weight problems than females, but thank you for acknowledging that men face this problem.

If men try to make their problems known, they will be insulted for it. If a man hits a woman, he's a monster. If a woman hits a man, he's weak. Some men do make their problems known, however.
SirStegosaurus

Pro

SirStegosaurus forfeited this round.
DATXDUDE

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited the last round, my argument for this round will be shorter in length, and I will mostly expand on points I have already made. However, there is one point the opponent made that I have not elaborated on enough. My opponent says that feminism is called what it is because, in history, there have been more instances of inequality towards men than women. This is true. However, now I believe society is equal, so there is no need for feminism. Instead, I think we need to pay attention to the larger collection of human problems. Starvation, sicknesses, oppression of women IN THE MIDDLE EAST, murder, and all of the other issues humanity faces should be a priority. Not focusing on a problem that does not even exist.

I meant men for my third argument. Typo. But other than that, my argument stands strong.

I am curious as to why my opponent forfeited the last round. Was it because they could not provide me with statistics? I wonder if anybody in the comments can. Regardless, thank you for reading.
SirStegosaurus

Pro

SirStegosaurus forfeited this round.
Posted by Anthonyd114 2 years ago
Anthonyd114
Tbh women really go overboard with feminism. There is still sexism in the world just like there is racism and discrimination. There will never be a world that doesn't have those 3.
Posted by DEVGROUP81 2 years ago
DEVGROUP81
So there for (in my opinion), America naturally selects a woman to stay @ home and take care of the kids, (" in areas of nurturing & home making")....See how that argument works both ways? It's o.k. for men to be looked @ as combatants...but it's sexist to look @ women as homemakers....
Posted by DATXDUDE 2 years ago
DATXDUDE
SE2, this website is about debate, not silencing dissent.
Posted by cjchang 2 years ago
cjchang
We need to reinspect the definition of modern feminism. People like Beyonce keep arguing about how women should have equal rights as men etc, but the fact is that man and woman are just different, biologically and the roles that they play in society. And this has to be acknowledged firstly, for any progress to take place. I wouldn't really care that much about the structure of the word "feminism" and how it began targeted at women's rights. The idea behind it now is what matters. I would say that Feminism to me today, means that both male and females are not positively discriminated against because of their sex, but granted certain justifiable exceptions (the army is the most obvious. because of biological differences, more males serve instead of women.)

They speak of wage discrimination. Look at any workplace, and tell me whether a male and a female doing the exact same job get different pay. If they do please enlighten me as to what vocation that is. Statistics are at best, estimates.

Don't even bring in the issue of chivalry. The lines are always blurred in relationships. There's no right or wrong.

I guess the main point I want to make is that people who think they are "feminists" tend not to be most of the time, as the anger usually get the better of them. Issues of discrimination among women are rampant in less developed countries such as Pakistan, so that should indeed be the focus. In the developed, civilised world, not so much.
Posted by MicheleAP 2 years ago
MicheleAP
"ridiculously more deaths in combat."
Back when "The Draft" was more popular than catching Ebola. It was males 18 1/2 through 25 years of age who got drafted, not females . So there for, (in MY opinion) America naturally selects a Male over a Female in times of war and conflict. Up until recently, it was ONLY males allowed to serve in the infantry division. So, after coming my conclusion. The reason men have "ridiculously more deaths in combat." Is because there are more men than women.
Posted by SE2 2 years ago
SE2
Feminism is literally defined as the belief that women have equal rights as men. Mostly every rational person is a feminist they just don't like being identified by such a strong word that evokes heated debates and controversy.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
What is "modern Feminism"?
Posted by DEVGROUP81 2 years ago
DEVGROUP81
Don't you know feminism is about equality?....LMAO!! :
We're equal but : You pay for my contraception but I'm not paying for your condoms.
We're equal but : I can hit you, but you can't hit me.
We're equal but : We (women) should only do 1/3 of the time for equal crimes committed.
We're equal but women are a majority group in this country but w/ minority benefits.
We're equal but : 80% of money that goes to medicare and Medicaid goes to women's health.
We're equal but : Men have bigger brains, more Nuerons, 12% more cranial capacity. 9% more Cerebral fluid, longer biological clocks, larger bone mass, more muscle density, ridiculously more deaths in combat, 80% of top 10 I.Q's, 80% of patents from cosmetology to automobiles.
We're equal but : Women 18 -34 make more $ than men, but still expect to be maintained (traditional chivalry...
IT'S A VA GINA NOT A STOCK OPTION!!!!!
Vote Placed by jynxx 2 years ago
jynxx
DATXDUDESirStegosaurusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.