SwaggyG27
sjrrj

Feminist Agenda In Video Games?

SwaggyG27

Con

If Feminism was in video games, the industry would crumble. Every video games shouldn't have to be politically correct. Game developers should be able to do what they want and not get hounded about it. If you do not approve of the characters in the video game, do not play it.
sjrrj

Pro

The word feminism has been misconstrued into something that it's not. Its not women trying to "take over" or something. Women deserve the exact same rights as men. Why shouldn't we? We make humans. We (most of the time, purposely) create another human in our abdomens knowing full well what it will do to our body shape, emotions, and self image. We know what is at the end of the road. We know we will eventually have to go through the worst kind of pain there is to literally push another human being out of our vaginas. We literally create life. Why should woman not receive the same rights as men? By things and companies (like video game designers) not being mindful of feminism and how offensive they can be, they are perpetuating the problem of rape culture and just general inconsideration of women. If there are companies that are "exempt" from being politically correct towards woman, what's to say that everyone should do the same thing? By being disrespectful towards woman, video game companies are perpetuating rape culture, because if I personally don't like the game and don't buy it, that's fine, they don't care. Some disgusting man will buy it instead which will give them the money they want. All it does it perpetuate the problem. No one is exempt from respect.
SwaggyG27

Con

First off, where are you getting that not pushing a female agenda leads to rape culture? I am all for equal job opportunities and payment, but if someone doesn't want to make a female lead video game then they don't have to. If you do not like the fact that Assassin's Creed: Unity has no female version, you don't have to purchase the game. I fail to see how games like Super Mario Bros. teaches rape culture because you have to save princess peach.
sjrrj

Pro

I was not talking about specific games like that. There are many games that promote rape culture. Games like super Mario bros. just teaches that girls are weak and need a man to save us. It teaches that men need to save the damsel in distress and girls cannot stand up for themselves and need to be protected. That is not the way it is. Girls are stronger than men. Girls are mentally stronger and endure more pain then men can imagine (i.e. Childbirth). No company should be exempt from following societal standards about feminism and respect towards women just because they will make more money that way.
SwaggyG27

Con

Again, you cite this 'rape culture' without a single explicit example. You still have not proven that games show this rape culture, yet you insist this. I have seen many forums and social media, and have noticed the feminist pattern of declaring 'rape culture,' without a single reason. I do agree that a man doesn't need to save you, but see no examples of it in modern video gaming media. The Last Of Us, a very popular game released in 2013, has strong female characters, including Ellie, one of the main protagonists in the game. Was this to be politically correct? Absolutely not! Naughty Dog's decision to have these characters be female was purely artistic. On another note, I will give you an analogy. I am left-handed. The only major video game character left handed is Link, form the Legend Of Zelda franchise. I, of course, am not upset that so many characters in video games aren't left handed, I frankly don't care. Just because a minority isn't represented in video games does not mean they are being discriminated! Before you get angry with me saying that female population is a minority, 48% of gamers are women. 93 million people play candy crush every day. As an aspiring game developer, if I ever make a game without a strong female character, I do hope I don't receive backlash, or get attacked, because that would only prove the immaturity and ignorance of Feminism in video games. No I am not a misogynist, I believe women should be allowed to do as they please, and be for their work, not for their gender. That is not feminism. That is equal rights. I do understand as a female gamer you do get a lot of rather negative unwanted attention, but this is an issue with the immaturity of the seven year olds making the comments on COD. Gamers are not the white virgin male in his mid 30's anymore, I got that. A gamer, at the most basic level, is a person with a passion fro video games. Nothing more and nothing less. And to nitpick about numbers and what developers have done in the past is opening a healing wound. Gamers aren't dead, and most of them don't care about the feminist movement. ANITA SARKESSIAN ADMITTED SHE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY VIDEO GAMES!!!! So why is she doing her feminist frequency videos in the first place. She speaks to an audience who doesn't care to listen to the sound of her voice. #notyourshield backs that up. Even if you do have a problem with a game's political view, which sounds stupid to even type, don't buy the game! It's that simple!
I would like to thank you for debating me in this topic. I hope there is no hard feelings. Best of luck in the future.
sjrrj

Pro

I understand your point... I should clarify what rape culture is. I, too, see the phrase in the comments sections on feminist blogs or videos or something similar. Let's break it down though, because I don't believe many people actually know what it is. Culture, in a sociological sense, means things that connect people as a society, or arts and manifestations that connect collectives of people. We all know what rape means. Many people find it hard to connect these two words as they are so different. Our society does not outwardly support rape, like the phrase "rape culture" insinuates. We don't all take part in sexual violence as a community. Rape culture discusses something more constant than a group of people outwardly supporting something like that. Rape culture is not the verbal support of sexual violence or harassment, but rather the practices that either engage in or just excuse those behaviors. Yes, some video games do not promote this type of thinking. But we as a community need to stop pretending rape culture doesn't exist, and that video games do not play a major role in it. As you said, in the gaming world, women are a minority. It is an industry largely run by males. The male mindset and view of women creates characters and practices that are demeaning and derogatory towards women. It furthers the idea that women are meant to be subordinate to the male sex, and that sexual comments and advances are okay and should be welcomed. You made the analogy about being left handed. This holds no relevance as being left handed does not cause you to receive unwanted harassment. The lack of left handedness in the gaming world does not promote the idea that you deserve to receive unwanted sexual advances or to be sexualized.

If it is okay for video game designers to be politically incorrect concerning women, wouldn't it also be okay for them to be politically incorrect towards African Americans? Wouldn't it also be "okay" and shouldn't they be "allowed" to discuss or show images of slavery and racism in a good light, thus promoting the idea it is okay?

I agree, if someone doesn't like a message sent through a video game, they should not buy it. But the people who aren't buying it aren't the problem. The people who still spend money on those games see it as okay, so they still pour money into those corporations. The people who buy the games are the problem, not those who don't. The people who buy the games generally have less regard for women. It isn't just about equal rights. It is about respect as well as putting a stop to a very dangerous culture, that puts an entire gender at risk.
Posted by thunderschild2 2 years ago
thunderschild2
There is no definitive evidence to suggest that saving a women in video game causes sexism.