Fewer women reach top positions in corporate sectors

"If you have the right level of workforce participation of women . . . then the rest will kind of take care of itself," quoted by the ernst and young's global government and public sector leader Uschi Schreiber who is a women.
Hello everyone, I am here to speak agaisnt the motion "Fewer women reach the highest position in corporate sectors."
We must understand that women have been and continue to be an integral part of the companies across the world. They are considered to be more active in their work; this is not just me who believes it, but also the world famous U.S president Barrack Obama himself considers that women are more dedicated and smarter in their work. And also recent research has stated that women have become nearly majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Most managers are now women too.
Do bright colors, festivities, or poverty ring any bells when you think of India? And what about Indian women? Exotic is perhaps the first stereotype that springs to mind. Well, don"t you all think Indian woman are certainly more than that! In a country extensive with unemployment, illiteracy and gender discrimination it is quite an achievement that a number of women in the corporate sector have made it to the top. One striking example of a corporate diva is Chandra Kochar the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of ICICI Bank " India"s largest private bank.
I believe women bring rich and diverse perspectives to the workplace. Often, they bring management styles which are quite complementary to those of men; having women in executive positions helps ensure that organizations meet the needs of increasingly diverse markets and communities.
It is also said by Cyrus Mistry, chairman of Tata group, that when women are insufficiently represented in the workplace, they lose out on 50 per cent of the talent pool. And so the Tata group already has quite a few women who are at different leadership positions and now they are looking forward to appoint more and more women in the top positions.
Eventually, there is a general misconception that companies do not appoint women in the top positions but my friends the reality is different, women are appointed in top positions in the corporate because of which the firm leads a life full of prosperity, joy and happiness.

It was a little misunderstood where exactly you were coming from, but I think I understand what you're debating. You're saying that there are an exponential amount of women that reach the highest position in corporate sectors, but the facts do not prove you to be correct.

Now, it should be stated that women are beginning to come to top positions more than what they have been in 2012; which was 16%, but now, in 2013, it is 17%. The rapidity at which women are coming up through the ranks is very sluggish and doesn't make your point valid considering that I would still consider "Fewer" to be around that percentage area. Currently, only a mere 12 people on the Fortune 500 are women.

"Catherine Wolfram, an associate professor at UC Berkeley's Haas Business School, studied the "leaky pipe" theory, which says that women aren't staying in positions long enough to rise through the ranks. Her study found that 15 years after graduating from Harvard College, 28 percent of the females who received MBAs were stay-at-home moms, while only 6 percent of those earning medical degrees left their jobs, suggesting the business world is less female-friendly. (Swartz)"

I would really enjoy if you were to cite your information, as well. I would like to see where you are getting your information on how many women are reaching the top positions in corporate. Although you are correct in saying that women are an integral part of business and that giving them that position, in the few that have been given away, make work-places filled with 'prosperity, joy and happiness'. Then again, the facts of major firms in America do not match up with your argument - there honestly is fewer women that are in top positions.

I appreciate your point of view. Talking about facts and figures the percentage of women has been very less but then the thing is that i have got my debate competition coming up in my school so just wanted to see where i stand. I have got no other choice.

Talking about fortune 500 as far as i had read the reason behind women not being in the list it that men make women fell left out. Consider a women and man join a company at the same time, work at the same post, get promotion at the same time but then when they get retired the amount which the man has earned is quite a lot than the women, though they both deserve the same credits.

In an interview with the business forum in oxford union, They stated that women are appointed in top positions and also they told that they prefer picking women over men.

Women have been empowered more and more every single day, therefore, I find it hard to believe that a woman would sit and allow herself to be left out.

Also, yes, they do deserve the same credits, but there is no substance behind that to support your point. You're saying that, because they SHOULD be able to get credit means that they are becoming higher up on the scale in terms of corporate positions. Although that does have an affect, the facts of women vs men in corporate sectors is still as I said: 16%-17%, which if fairly low - or /fewer/, in this case.

Just because they prefer to choose women over men does not mean that there are more women in the top positions. Like I said previously, women do not usually grow that far up the chain for them to even be accepted in considering the recent study [The "leaky pipe" theory"] made notice of the fact that, women tend to leave their jobs before they are able to reach that point.

To conclude, it's simply a matter of percentages and numbers. Looking at it currently, there are still fewer women that make it to the top. 17% of women are in top positions and the number is growing at a very slow pace - that is due to either the women dropping out or becoming stay-at-home mothers.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 3 years ago
Cite your 'recent research', please.
Posted by shamusddin 3 years ago
@raju i agree to your point that men are majority but that one reason does not mean that men are better than women. And also the reason for women not being in top positions is that they are not being payed enough for what they do.
Posted by rajun 3 years ago
huh? it is enough to say that men are more in number at high positions and Con loses this....