Pook.S
LeoL

Fighting in Hockey Needs to Be Banned

LeoL
Started: 9/3/2011 Category: Sports

Pook.S

Con

Fighting in Ice Hockey is very common, but there have been some people who wanted it to stop. Why? Because it's dangerous. Now I won't deny Fighting is dangerous and could potentially hurt you, but It is has been part of the game since the beginning. So there's no reason why Fighting should be banned when in reality it won't do anything and the fans will just end up fighting which will cause a whole lot of controversy.
LeoL

Pro

Thank you for creating this debate.

Let me start by criticizing my opponents opening comments. I will build my argument as to why fighting in hockey should be banned in round 2.

"Now I won't deny Fighting is dangerous and could potentially hurt you, but It is has been part of the game since the beginning. So there's no reason why Fighting should be banned when in reality it won't do anything and the fans will just end up fighting which will cause a whole lot of controversy."

There are a couple of things wrong with what my opponent has said, and I will explain.

First he agreed that fighting is dangerous, then he said 'but it has been in the game since the beginning.' In the beginning of the NHL, players, including the goaltender didn't have to wear helmets/masks, so saying that it should stay the same to follow tradition, isn't a good enough point.

My opponent then continues on to say that there is no reason for fighting to be banned because "it won't do anything". If fighting is banned, which would make the punishment more than a 5 minute penalty like it is now, fighting would probably disappear because players wouldn't put their careers at risk. And yes banning fighting would prevent the injuries of many players, and if fighting was banned already, it would have most likely prevented the deaths of Wade Balek, Rick Rypien and Derek Boogaard, who have all died because of reasons related to their career as a fighter in the NHL.

My opponent said that fans "will just end up fighting" if fighting in the NHL is banned. I disagree, because anger between fan bases occurs very often because of a fight between two players, which starts huge and bitter rivalries.

Good Luck.

Vote Pro!
Pook.S

Con

Pook.S forfeited this round.
LeoL

Pro

Since my opponent has forfeited round 2, I have nothing to refute and I'll just give points on why fighting should be banned in the NHL.

Most fighters in the NHL, are put on the ice and told to fight. Their skills in the actual game of hockey are extremely limited, and all they're good at is fighting. In the old days of fighting in the NHL, fighters would actually make an impact and their fights would change the momentum of the game, now this is not the case. Also, in the past, fighters could actually play the game. Now, fighters take up roster spots that could be taken by goal scorers.

All retired enforcers, or most at least, regret that they were fighters.

3 retired enforcers died in the last 3-4 months due to fight related reasons.

Hockey is the only professional sport that allows fighting.

I don't expect my opponent to actually post something for round 3, so these are all of my arguments...
Pook.S

Con

Pook.S forfeited this round.
LeoL

Pro

My opponent has forfeited. I win by default. Please vote Pro.
Vote Placed by seraine 5 years ago
seraine
Pook.SLeoLTied
Reasons for voting decision: 4fit
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
Pook.SLeoLTied