AndyFang
david77

File sharing: The right thing to do or not?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 9/28/2011 Category: Technology

AndyFang

Pro

When we think of file sharing, what comes to mind? Many people will think it means stealing money from big companies like Microsoft or I tunes. But I beg to differ.
File sharing is not file stealing! When you are file stealing, one person will have, and the other will not. When you are file sharing, both will have. Or perhaps, billions will enjoy.
The way I see it, file sharing should not be an illegal criminal crime, but actually a way to give lower income families a chance to experience better education and simply enjoy life more. An example of what I mean: Let's say a student wishes to learn how to photo shop so he/she could find a better job. The photo shop cs5 extended costs hundreds of dollars, which is of course a big burn on an average university student's wallet. (Considering he has to pay for rent fees, food, etc.)
Having said that, the student wouldn't have bought photo shop anyhow, so adobe wouldn't be losing money.
Well, I'd better save my strong arguments for later rounds, so I guess if you are willing to put up a serious debate ( with strong arguments.) then I will be delighted to accept your challenge.
david77

Con

When I think of file sharing I think of one person buying one file, then putting up the file online for everyone to download for free, or one friend sharing one file to his/her group of friends for free.

Since that one person only paid one fee and shared it to everyone else then the company does not gain money from all the friends the files got shared to.

"File sharing is not file stealing! When you are file stealing, one person will have, and the other will not. When you are file sharing, both will have. Or perhaps, billions will enjoy."

Stealing on the internet is different than stealing in the real world. In the real world you can't make copies of things then take the copy for yourself, but on the internet/computer you can do that. By my interpretation of your logic if I get hacked by a thief and the thief finds my credit card information on my computer he is not stealing my credit card information I'm just sharing my information to him, but without my permission, which is somehow not stealing according to my interpretation of your logic. Also billions enjoy food but not even food is free.

"The way I see it, file sharing should not be an illegal criminal crime, but actually a way to give lower income families a chance to experience better education and simply enjoy life more."

So you assume that most file sharing that occurs online is scholarly article and other educational information. I, without any statistics or links to back up myself, claim that the majority of file sharing that takes place online are usually entertainment things, such as music, videos etc. I do not see how those files educate lower income families. There are an industry that thrives on selling those movies and music, and they do not work for free, so just because lower income families benefit from allowing file sharing to be legal does not mean it should be legal. For example with that logic if prisoners benefited from being released from prison then they should be released from prison. The problem is that you also have to consider the society itself. When discussing file sharing you also have to consider the people who make the files. Typically music and videos made by the entertainment industry is not working for free and file sharing is a way to share files for free.

"The photo shop cs5 extended costs hundreds of dollars, which is of course a big burn on an average university student's wallet. (Considering he has to pay for rent fees, food, etc.)
Having said that, the student wouldn't have bought photo shop anyhow, so adobe wouldn't be losing money."

Should all expensive things be made free? Cars are expensive and may put a burn on an average university student's wallet but people do not make cars for free, they have to pay electricity to keep the factory turned on. Same for the entertainment industry, they have to pay actors and other employees to make the files that you wish to be shared to people for free.

All companies are always losing money at all times that they are operating, it's called operating costs. So even if this hypothetical student does buy the program adobe is still losing money, its just that adobe is making more money than adobe is losing, which is called profit.

In short if everyone shared enough files then the entertainment industry could go bankrupt and there would not be much of those high quality files to share anymore would there? Most of the file sharing would then be youtube videos which are not usually created in as high quality as the entertainment industry can make the files.
AndyFang

Pro

AndyFang forfeited this round.
david77

Con

david77 forfeited this round.
AndyFang

Pro

AndyFang forfeited this round.
david77

Con

david77 forfeited this round.
Posted by david77 5 years ago
david77
I'm not happy that AndyFang forfeited his debate twice, but i don't have any additional argument.
Posted by david77 5 years ago
david77
I'm not going to post an argument simply because I don't know what to post now, I'm just waiting for an counter argument.
Posted by david77 5 years ago
david77
randolph7 just because file sharing is legal and that (you think) its ethically neutral to share files that doesn't mean everyone wants it to stay legal, or agrees with you that its ethically neutral.
Posted by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
Do you want the first round to be for opening arguments or acceptance only?
Posted by AndyFang 5 years ago
AndyFang
Frm where I live, file sharing is still illegal. Therefore, let us pretend that file sharing was illegal. Sorry that I didn't mention earlier, but pro will be arguing that file sharing should be legal, and con will be arguing file sharing should be made illegal.
Posted by randolph7 5 years ago
randolph7
file sharing is already legal and ethically neutral. What's your point Andy?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
AndyFangdavid77Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)